We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Fiber from PET bottles

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Nagender Pratap Singh 1 month ago.

Butte Metz btmetz

Fiber from PET bottles

02/05/2019 at 06:14

I am working on a side project using soda bottles to make fiber.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mdngv8c9p9rvr0d/recycled%20polyester.mp4?dl=0 Video here

and here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hgy452zb1qq6yth/Polyester%20V1-1.m4v?dl=0

However I am lacing some information about using this material.  Aside from blankets, pillows and clothes.

I was wondering about its use in place of chopped strand fiberglass?

Any fiberglass people here?

Polyester resin is made locally.  Main ingredient is castor bean oil.

With the vacuum bag system, is that absorbent cloth for the excess resin, polyester?  If polyester fiberfill is added with resin, will it stick together?

7 replies
5 subscribers
0 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes

In reply to: Fiber from PET bottles

warrior
03/05/2019 at 04:26

I’m not a fiberglass guy, but the glass fibers provide the strength and stiffness to the material. PET is a lot softer and weaker, not sure what the benefit would be other than as filler.

new
07/07/2019 at 16:10

Was wondering same thing. I have plenty of glass exp. My idea is to make it into a roven. 1/4″ wide.Then epoxy? As mentioned above polyester resin has no strentgh without fibers.

new
07/07/2019 at 19:17

I’m no expert in this either but I know our ocean is filled up with PET and I think whatever the outcome is, it’s going on the list of banned products.

starter
12/07/2019 at 04:17

Hey, I want to know more about your project. Please connect at [email protected]
Thank you in advance.

starter
18/08/2019 at 18:15

Two thoughts…

First, there is a class of plastics out there sold under the brand name Zytel, which is nylon-based, and some of those are sold as “Nylon-reinforced Zytel”, which apparently has additional fibers of nylon added to it to enhance rigidity and strength. Perhaps we cannot replace fiberglass within the fiberglass industry, but perhaps we con come up with our own composite? PETE may not be as strong as glass fiber, but it is for instance stronger or at least less elastic than HDPE. Perhaps add some new Fiberglas chop or carbon fiber to our mixes to get the properties we want? Not a chemist so I am just tossing ideas.

Second…I know that one of the problems with using Kevlar (another aramid) fibers is getting whatever resin-like materials that might be used to bond it to stick to it to begin with, so it tends to delaminate. Do we have any systematic  idea of what all plastics will and will not stick to each other?

helper
20/08/2019 at 20:29

you can use it to reinforce concrete, i studied this on my master’s degree.
If you need some help, ask me

starter
22/08/2019 at 12:26

Hey, I like what you are doing. I want to know more. Can I have your email id or Whatsapp phone number to discuss a few things about your project. You can contact me at [email protected]

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪