Support our newest Precious Plastic campaign 🍌

Fidget Spinner craze

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Michael 1 week ago.

dina dinaaamin

Fidget Spinner craze

31/05/2017 at 21:24

I am not really sure what to say about this, I am sure you all saw these spinners trending, all made of plastic, pretty cool things actually but more than 51 million fidget spinners were sold this month alone, and this is only what I could track in articles. And I sadly know that this will end up with millions of these being thrown away somewhere once their users use it for a day or two, get bored after a week max, shoves it in a drawer, then eventually throw it away. And by then we’ll end up with billions of them on this planet, completely useless.

I am not sure what can be said about this, but maybe we can think together of something to be said or done. Anyone has any ideas?

2+
02/06/2017 at 11:08

Ok, I have an incomplete idea… maybe someone can build on it and make it better..

This is really annoying me because it’s now trending in Egypt and it costs 200EGP, with that amount you can feed a family of 5 for a couple of days, and we are not really a rich country. It’s terrible to see how people waste their money like this just because of a “trend”. I am absolutely sure they will just use it for a couple of days then toss it away.

So I thought what if we make a website somehow that let’s you borrow (a) or someone’s fidget spinner to try it?! Stupid I know, but less stupid than buying that thing to balance it on your nose then toss it away 😀

Toggle replies
2+
02/06/2017 at 11:36

Ok.. another idea, still stupid, but less stupid than buying this..

We can make cafes or spaces host a “fidget spinner try outs?!”.. it might backfire but..

People just want to try it out and post some cool tricks on their social media, I know lame, but that’s the need that this product is based on and maybe there is a more sustainable way to deal with this.. (obviously not buying the plastic ones, but when there is high demand, of course companies manufactured millions of cheap versions)…

Toggle replies
3+
02/06/2017 at 16:00

@dinaaamin
Never actually thought about the possible and actual scale of this.

Like with useless 3d printing, the first thought that needs to be conveyed to people is to stop buying useless / unnecessary stuff. So it comes with raising awareness about general overconsumption, especially with fads like fidget spinners.

Then comes a sharing community, that considers sharing things before buying new ones.
One of the things on the way is that people love new shiny stuff in a new packaging. And using something pre-used is not fun for them. It’s not cool. I have no idea about waht could be done in this situation)

Toggle replies
6+
05/06/2017 at 16:57

I feel like at this point, as you’ve said (I mean you in the plural form), pretty much all we can do at this point is raise awareness about these concerns. Teach people! Bring it up in normal conversation. Let them know why it’s important and why you care! If we could all give each of our friends just one more reason why to not buy one, we may save thousands of fidget spinners from production — who knows! Think globally, act locally (I can’t remember who said that one, but it is so true!). I find it so sad how not only is this product becoming so widespread, but how it’s virtually unrecyclable (on a small community precious plastic scale), but as always any ideas are welcome and needed.

Toggle replies
2+
10/08/2017 at 20:18

My 6 year old son saw a spinner belonging to a friend, and now my son wants one. I will go to a used thrift store, buy an old in-line skate, and extract the wheels to show him the principle of the roller bearings. Then, we will fashion a simple shaft that he can hold in a wheel, and he has a unique fidget spinner that can also be used to build other toys. Well made bearings are a wonderful and important building component, so use the fidget spinner craze to inspire tomorrow’s makers and engineers.

Toggle replies
10/08/2017 at 21:25

use the fidget spinner craze to inspire tomorrow’s makers and engineers.

Thats so right @peterbug

Toggle replies
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.