We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Filamento para impresora 3d/3d printer filament

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Stan 1 month ago.

Miguel Tapia migueltapiaugmail-com

Filamento para impresora 3d/3d printer filament

04/08/2019 at 21:33

Hola a todos, necesito saber qué tipo de plásticos se deben reciclar para hacer filamento para impresora 3d con la extrusora Precious Plastic ? Y si sirven para cualquier tipo de impresora 3d ?

Saludos a todos y muchas gracias.

Hello everyone, I need to know what kind of plastics should be recycled to make filament for 3d printer with Precious Plastic extruder? And if they are suitable for any type of 3d printer?
Greetings to everyone, and thanks.

9 replies
2 subscribers
0 saved
starter
31/08/2019 at 10:35

I am interested in that as well, I want to build the grinder and the extruder to produce filaments for my 3D printer, but I don’t really understand which plastic I can use for this purpose. I know that PLA and ABS are suitable, as well as TPU (but for the latter I’m not sure about the recyclability). Can anyone explain that?

new
31/08/2019 at 11:31

I know only of PET being a suitable printable material but that works even better as granulate or pellets. There are pellet print heads and now you just need the PET small enough and for that will need a grinder for that. Here in Spain you can get industrial grinders from machine traders for about 600 – 2000 Euro, at least here in Catalonia. Here is another overview on the subject. There are quite some new techniques. Time to write another page on the subject. @btmetz for instance mentioned an oil press (search aliexpress) recently; I could imagine to use this as print head as well (I saw similar working well for larger printers with 5mm diameter, basically using an entire extrusion as print head 🙂

starter
01/09/2019 at 17:41

Exactly, I just want to know if I can make filament with recycled plastic and if so, know if that filament can be used in any 3d ipresora.

new
01/09/2019 at 18:29

Sorry, No, I am afraid there is no real good option for now. There were signs that somebody made LDPE filament but it’s not exactly creating great prints as far I know. For now I can only recommend to skip the filament making step altogether and try pellet print heads for different materials. More likely you will have to mix it with virgin plastic. However , for now this would allow printing PET waste at least. To make good filament, we still need to work out quite some extra equipment and modifications for the PP extruder :
– Hopper (or standalone) with drying capabilities (planned), also the feeding seems to play a key role
– Cooling fans to maintain temp. in the 2 +/- C range (planned)
– Upgrade interface to touch screen. There is lot’s of fiddling to get it right (scheduled)
– Winder and pull system with laser gauge

that’s ending in around 1000-2000 Euro in top of a better extruder version you can find in the bazar. 3devo is selling a ready to go package for around 5000 E but that’s also made for virgin pellet plastic.

starter
02/09/2019 at 02:11

Thank you very much for the information, I will continue investigating to see if a solution appears. greetings from Chile.

new
04/09/2019 at 20:23

Hi there, I’m creating a project (early stages) for recycling plastic (PET – PETG) in the university where I work, then to extrude filament and feed the 3D printer with it. We want to start making the machines (shredder and an extruder with a filament collector device ). Do you have any advice for us? Thanks a lot.  The Idea is the whole university get involve in this “fast prototyping sustentable Lab”. We expect to incorporate the 3D printing tech in the academic cycle with a sustentable approach. In future steps, we dream with a solar power (at least partial) for the recycling process.  Greetings!

new
05/09/2019 at 00:14

Hi @alitor, as mentioned a few times, doing filament with acceptable print results is pretty hard. Especially PET is a problematic material (for shredder & extruder) but grinding it down to 0.5 particles and then use a special print head will be ok (still needs a lot of tuning).

new
05/09/2019 at 14:18

Thanks, ppboy. I’m doing preliminar research and “maybe I flew too high” (Icarus) XD  I will continue thinking about. Thx again

warrior
05/09/2019 at 17:09

@alitor , I think at a university you get to aim a little higher than the rest of us. There are several implementations of printing PET without going through the filament step. One example here https://davehakkens.nl/community/forums/topic/3d-printer-for-pet-particles-no-filament-ever/ . This is a topic that is just being investigated and would greatly benefit from additional research and development. The fact that you have to use very fine particles puts the burden on the shredding/grinding process. Additional research on the print head to establish print resolution vs. PET particle size, would be a great step forward, as would establishing a specific drying requirement. Plenty of opportunities to advance the knowledge base. Currently PP does not have an easily reproduced process for dealing with PET. Any research to that end is a great contribution.
I think Icarus just used the wrong thermoplastic and with a little more research…..

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪