We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Friday Markets in Cairo

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Dave Hakkens 4 years ago.

dina dinaaamin

Friday Markets in Cairo

01/08/2017 at 12:36

Hello! In my second Story Hopper video I want to show what second hand markets in Cairo look like and discuss a little bit about this culture in Egypt. I went before to Berlin and saw second hand shops everywhere and flea markets and was told that it’s a normal thing that everyone shops and buys second hand (correct me if I am wrong). In Egypt this is not the case, the gap between the rich and poor is massive and buying something second hand is frowned upon in upper classes. So these markets are mostly done by the poor for the poor, not out of practicality or common sense that we should reuse things over and over before throwing them away and a bonus that we save money, but because this what they can afford. Some hobbiest go there to collect things or hunt for antiques, but the majority of people go and buy everyday things for their house that they can’t afford to buy new. They sell all sorts of stuff there and they get them all mostly from the garbage, it’s what rich people throw away. And this is what bothers me the most.

There was an attempt to do a flea market in richer areas, still runs once a month, but it is a failure in my opinion haha It mostly has new manufactured things and is actually like a regular bazaar, so I am thinking to meet the founders of this and maybe know what were their challenges because I know they wanted to make a real ‘flea’ market.

I can go on more about this, it’s a very complex issue, but I want you to see it with your own eyes.

2 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved
dedicated
03/08/2017 at 10:21

Interesting Dina, looking forward to the video.

warrior
08/08/2017 at 09:14

Yes! show us 😀

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪