We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

funding precious plastic spaces

This topic contains 18 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Evolution Corporation 1 month ago.

Rafa Font rafafont

funding precious plastic spaces

19/12/2017 at 15:16

Deas,
I don’t have a lot of time, but my salary is decent, so I would like to explore helping by funding one (or more) precious plastic makerspaces.

I don’t know how much they cost. I understand they depend a lot on the labour price. Therefore I would be looking at places with low labour costs.

I would also be looking at places where the Precious Plastic space is built in or near a garbage dump, for maximum impact.

Would you be so kind of sharing calculations of the cost of a Precious Plastic Space?
And to suggest teams that might be needing funding to create the space?

Thanks,
R.

18 replies
2 subscribers
0 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes
helper
20/12/2017 at 08:30

sent you a mail with some info Rafa

dedicated
22/12/2017 at 14:39

I’m preparing a business plan here https://docs.google.com/document/d/1v2XAgP_fJmx0_-IS46720IO8SzLUf3Tvg3DqNCURtS8/edit , set up costs will depend on the kind of space you have available. Machines alone I’d say between £4-8k.

If you’re thinking of becoming a donator/supporter, we accept donations on patreon or directly 🙂 if you’re thinking on getting a return on your investment and starting a profitable business, that’s interesting too!

Ciao

helper
23/12/2017 at 18:16

In the UK it’s possible to sell plastic to some of the big, well established waste companies. e.g. Biffa.

Investing in setting up a network of collection points might be a good first step. That way you have the raw material and can do whatever you want with it: Sell some, recycle some, experiment with developing product ideas. It also means you’re catching plastic that might otherwise end up going to landfill/watercourses/beaches, plus gives you the opportunity to gauge the types and quantities of plastic available. You can stock pile the material until you know how best to recycle it.

A lot of small companies think they are recycling their plastics, but actually the collection companies just burn it. This is a huge waste of resources. The embodied energy and carbon in plastic is huge, so burning it is the worst idea.

starter
03/01/2018 at 16:01

Hey there! I’m from Nepal. We are working on building Precious Plastic machine as well as Makerspace here in Kathmandu, Nepal. We’d love to get any kind of donations. If you’d like to talk more about this, let me know. Thanks for your helping efforts.

helper
04/01/2018 at 11:50

We are at the moment planing to set up a space here in the Philippines where plastic pollution is a huge issue. Doing a business plan and looking for space at the moment. We will be raising funds mainly from private businesses (csr…) in a few month. If you really wan’t to invest i can keep you updated on our progress step by step.

starter
04/01/2018 at 16:58

Would you share your Patreon page? That would be just as useful as your business plan.

Thanks!
Rebecca.

starter
04/01/2018 at 19:54

hi what if once i have my machines built and set up. i can start making then as a kit
(shredder,extruder,etc) and then it can be sold as a kit…

starter
16/01/2018 at 02:36

Thanks,
I have donated 500€ to Willy Kerr’s project in Thailand

starter
22/01/2018 at 02:37

Well done mate, i am sure it will come in handy to them.

starter
22/01/2018 at 09:02

Great idea @outsol, keep me posted 😉

starter
22/01/2018 at 09:03

Keep up the good work! @tribesh Let’s be friends and encourage each other!

starter
22/01/2018 at 10:30

rafa, what a great way to help, honestly. Question: Have you considered (or maybe you’ve already done it) donating to Dave? I mean, to the original Precious Plastic proyect.

Why? Maybe he will be able to do greater things, and then we will all be able to get benefits from that donation. (p.e. a more efficient or quick V4 of Precious Plastic).

Once again, what a worthy way to help. Keep it Up.

starter
22/01/2018 at 23:20

I back up Precious Plastic via Patreon.
I checked with Dave about possible locations for funding and he suggested me to ask in the community, so here I am 🙂

helper
03/02/2018 at 11:05

I have started Precious Plastic Los Angeles and we are aiming to start with building one set of machines and then help others in Los Angeles build them as well. We have received enough donations to build the shredder machine and are about 75% complete thanks to a donation of the laser cut parts from Bioplastic Recycling and a donation of shop time from the LA Cleantech Incubator. We need to get funds to build the rest of the machines. Please reach out to me if you know anyone interested to donate or support.

starter
09/04/2018 at 20:04

We are currently setting up a PP workspace near Fort Portal in Uganda. I came here as a traveller a few month ago but couldn´t watch them burning all their waste on the Soil where they grow their vegetables, so i decided to start a project here. Since i already built a few PP machines at home in Austria I already had a bit of experience.
Right now we finished the Compression machine and the injection is in the making. Since its a pretty rural area I will bring my shredder from Austria here, just because its impossible to find a lasercutter here.
Our first Project is to make tiles out of plastic waste for the local church. Not for any religious reason, but just because like this we reach the whole community at once.
Until now i payed all by myself, but since I´m running out of funds Im searching for ways to keep the project going.

Our goal is to set up a self sufficient Workspace that produces products for the local market such as tiles, bricks, rooftiles, paving etc.

If you´re interested in our project, feel free to get back to me!

Emanuel Held

new
20/07/2019 at 14:56

Hey Rafa still open for support?

The total cost for starting a workspace in India with cheap labour and lots of plastic would be less then the rest of the world and I would like to seek your help if interested.
Cost of machine making and rent would be 3.5lack INR, this would also include the labour cost for a few months and a small amount of money to research and test on products.

Please write back

starter
20/07/2019 at 22:39

I’m still on and willing to contribute approximately 500€, which I think is 10% of your budget. If that works for you, would you be able to send more info about the project, cost breakdown, planning? Thanks.

new
21/07/2019 at 17:49

Namaste,
I HAVE SENT YOU A PRIVATE MESSAGE PLEASE ALLOW ME TO COMMUNICATE IN PERSON.
BEST.

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.