We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Getting started can be simple

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Tim Slab 1 year ago.

Tim Howes timhowes

Getting started can be simple

20/03/2018 at 13:37

Although I’m very keen on making bits of kit to turn my workshop into a small plastic manufacturing factory. Starting using plastic can be very simple and you can use your wood/ metal working skills quite readily to create things in plastic. Plastic can be quite rewarding as an art material and very simple to get started with. While trawling YouTube I found this https://youtu.be/rpXq6mnbCus and was quite inspired by this young guys simple approach.
He does not recommend shaped moulds but I found they are very simple to make, here I have used a 10mm thick off cut of laminate flooring Or HDF (high density fiber board) which was easy to work with a jigsaw.
I made this walking stick handle just with milk bottles and lids and a conventional oven.
My neighbor makes walking sticks from wood that has had honeysuckle growing up it to produce a spiral stick and we pooled our resources to make this walking stick. The brass part is a plumbing olive.
This method requires allot of finishing but I feel it is worth it.
I made this some time ago but I felt it was remiss of me not to share it with you.

Attachments:
4 replies
0 subscribers
1 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes
starter
25/03/2018 at 11:28

I love this – how clever!
Best wishes
Kate

warrior
05/04/2018 at 14:36

Lovely @timhowes.. I like your approach.

I’ve also done some hand finishing on HDPE parts and I found it pretty tricky to get a ‘glossy’ plastic finish. It’s hard to say from the photo – but your handle also looks a bit matt.
Did you find a way to polish HDPE? I’m thinking if it has any texture, it will get dirty fast and be hard to clean.
An update after a couple months of walking would be great 🙂

dedicated
06/04/2018 at 04:11

@timslab
hey mate

I’ve been doing some experiments with Polypropylene and to polish it up a little more without any additives, i followed how this guy did it on YouTube..

just using the polishing wheel after a high grit sandpaper, works well..

warrior
11/04/2018 at 10:28

Thanks for the share @brendonscrimgeour. That finish is great

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.