We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Glue on plastic bottles

Reece Pallett reece

Glue on plastic bottles

27/04/2019 at 12:14

Hello,
Im looking to shred and extrude plastic bottles, I am wondering if the glue that holds on the label will affect the outcome of the plastic. So far I have been using IPA (isopropanol) to scrub off the glue, but this takes a long while to do. Any help is appreciated.
Reece

3 replies
1 subscribers
1 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes
warrior
27/04/2019 at 18:52

I don’t have an answer for you, hope to do some tests in the future. Here is what I do in the meantime.
For the paper/plastic type labels, I usually start a corner with a heat gun and then slowly peel at 90 degrees to the surface. Often this pulls the adhesive off of the bottle. If not I use mineral spirits (paint thinner) to wipe off. If the adhesive is really thick, I use the heat gun to soften all of it and then scrape it off before wiping the residue. For some of the really hard labels like laundry detergent bottles, I just cut that section off and set it aside for when I figure out what to do with them in the future.

Hopefully someone else will give you (us) a better approach.

new
29/04/2019 at 11:26

Thanks for the reply and information. I think I bite the bullet and try it with the glue still on the bottle, I will post my findings here (couple months) and and and effects it has in the outcome or the plastic

starter
29/04/2019 at 11:54

I think you can shredd the plastic and wash it into a washing machine at 60 or 90°.
You can do that by 5 or more Kg at the same time. I think that temperature and friction dissolve the glue. I am preparing a washing machine for testing

Attachments:
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪