We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

graffiti resistant plastic wall panels

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Stan 1 month ago.

charles alban sigerico

graffiti resistant plastic wall panels

17/06/2019 at 14:29

hi. i think there is too much graffiti around my area. i have an idea to make graffiti-resistant plastic wall panels. these panels would mimic the effect of natural stone walls, or other uneven surfaces that would create relief and shadows that would obscure any images painted on the surface. i have noticed that you hardly ever see graffiti on natural stone walls. it’s always on flat surfaces of concrete, brick or cut stone so the images are visible.

the panels i envision would be perhaps 100cm x 50cm that could be easily lifted and screwed into place. they would be casts of natural stone walls using plastic colouring to create a variegated appearance. also open geometric designs could be used. the important thing is to create depth of relief so shadow lines are cast disrupting any images sprayed on the surface.

if successful there could be quite a market for this. sound walls alongside roads and railway lines would be prime candidates. any flat concrete surface that attracts graffiti, such as at modern railways stations, concrete overpasses on highways and so forth.

currrent graffiti eradication techniques rely on the removal by chemicals after the fact. much more efficient to deter the vandalism in the first place. graffiti artists want to have their work seen and admired by other taggers. if the images are illegible and unrecognizable there is no incentive to spray.

if anybody has any thoughts on this, or ideas on how to make and install the panels, please let me know. i’m based in northern Italy near Torino.

Attachments:
8 replies
1 subscribers
0 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes
warrior
17/06/2019 at 16:01

I like the idea of discouraging graffiti. Architects of the brutalist school never show graffiti on their drawings – they always assume people will treat their bare concrete surfaces with reverence 😉

Plastic cladding could have other problems – especially when vandals try burning it…

warrior
17/06/2019 at 16:41

…and there is the point to be made that adding plastic cladding is in and of itself a form of ‘graffiti’…
Don’t let this deter you though, because planned graffiti is often the best way to avoid unwanted graffiti.
As said, most graffiti is a reaction to extemely boring city design. Making Architecture less boring with faux natural stone walls, still might work…
…but why stop at faux stone? The world is you’re oyster within this concept!
Vertical gardens, anyone?

Anti-graffiti measures on the other hand will just provoke an anti-anti-reaction.

starter
17/06/2019 at 18:15

thanks guys for your thoughts. my thinking is to make the panels really cheap…ie used recycled plastic….so installation would be cheap and so would replacement if necessary.

my feeling is that taggers are always looking for something easy. i kinda doubt that many, if any of them, would be so incensed as to try to burn them, or tear them off to get at the wall underneath. easier just to move on.

that said, i really don’t know how they would react. hence the need for a trial.

and re other treatments, such as plantings and so forth. that’s always a possibility, but it’s going to be more expensive to install and maintain.
and of course this is Precious Plastic, so the idea is to use recycled plastic rather than other approaches.

weather resistance might be an issue, but the walls look like sh.t now, so whatever one did would be an improvement. and many of these places are underpasses protected from the weather.

warrior
17/06/2019 at 18:53

Charles @sigerico

I indeed meant vertical planters made from plastic, especially fun when they are edible or flowering (or both). A few holes here and there and they easy to (self)water etc.
And nobody likes ‘sprayed food’ 😉

As an added bonus, these panels could also be used for actual vertical gardening in, euh, gardens, or even indoors.
They could still have the stone-motive.
There are plenty of guerilla gardeners (the right kind of vandals), willing to adopt these urban walls to create and maintain a living city…

warrior
17/06/2019 at 23:49

Hi @sigerico – I think some of us have just been a bit sensitized to the flamability of plastic cladding.  It is now one of the first things that come to mind.

Retrofitting “ornamentation” on cast concrete surfaces does sound interesting, though. I can see it is similar, in some ways, to using stone cladding – but creating a more undulating, rustic, appearance tthat would interfere with the grafiti.

I’m not sure if the low cost of panels would be the deciding factor over whether they would get used in this way.  The cost of getting the necessary approvals, and the labour involved in doing the work, might dominate – and (besides) recycled plastic panels would not necessarly be cheaper than panels made from virgin plastic.

Maybe if the cladding panels were made by a process of mixing molten PE with sand (as described in other threads around the forum) it would get around any flamability issues – and it could help in producing some interesting textures.

warrior
18/06/2019 at 00:24

@donald

Solarpunk ?

Attachments:
warrior
18/06/2019 at 06:20

@frogfall
Solarpunk 👍

Funny idea to indeed not make 100% ‘faux’ brick wall plastic panels, but to make them plastic-crete (or how shall we call it it?).
100% recyclable wall cladding, in any way, shape or form you wish?
Sounds like a product to me!

warrior
18/06/2019 at 18:33

my feeling is that taggers are always looking for something easy.

Unfortunately I’m not sure that is true. Judging by the willingness of taggers to climb up road signs, some with barbed wire to protect them, I think the more difficult and more visible gets them more respect in their circles.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.