We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Hand cranked shredder

This topic contains 35 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Olivier 10 months ago.

Rhoy Guajardo rhoy2468

Hand cranked shredder

06/11/2017 at 19:29

Constructed the shredder utlizing a winch crank up the rejected 3D plastic prints. Drive shaft had a turned key that fit the spring loaded crank and testing is going on at the moment. Would prefer motor powered shredder for THICKER harder peices (ABS/PLA) but it does well on other less brittle materials.

Attachments:
35 replies
1 subscribers
1 saved

In reply to: Hand cranked shredder

dedicated
21/11/2017 at 23:15

@rhoy2468 This is super cool! I am currently trying to decide if i should go for a motor or this hand cranked version. Can you please film a video of you shredding some bottlecaps or other plastic? To kinda visualice how much power this hand-driven version posesses? πŸ™‚

– Mathias

starter
21/11/2017 at 23:21

@anris

Appreciate it buddy… to answer your question, ill get some video. Did an analysis for ABS plastic and calculated a torque of 81.6 ft*lbs (110.6 Nm). Though it works, i would strongly suggest at least a 1.5 hp motor to achieve some good amounts of shredding force for anything brittle or extremely hard. Our scrap was precut to gain these estimates so you kinda get the picture. Anyways, thanks again and ill be in touch with some sweet media of the little guy.

Kind regards Rhoy

dedicated
22/11/2017 at 00:47

Hey @rhoy2468
Thank you so much for the fast response!
I did some quick math with your calculated torque:
I am going to use an arm that is 1/2 meters long so the power to turn it will be:

110.6 N*m/0.5m = 221,2 N

And to calculate how much weight aka armpower that is needed to turn it, we devide by the gravitational acceleration:

221.1 N/9.82m/s^2 = 22.5 kg

That is still quite tough to grind, but i looked up the (Tensile Strength, Yield) i gues its a number for how hard the plastic is to tear apart. For ABS and HDPE, as i am going to shred HDPE primarily.

6160 – 6500 psi Tensile Strength, Yield (ABS)
4350 psi Tensile Strength, Yield (HDPE)

4350 psi / 6500 psi = 0.67

22.5 kg * 0.67 = 15.1 kg

Looking forward for the video so that i can have a look at what you are relly shredding, thanks for the help so far, it was very helpfull!

Best – Mathias

starter
22/11/2017 at 00:50

@anris

No problem buddy…

Good luck with ur design.

Cheers
Rhoy

dedicated
22/11/2017 at 20:34

Instead of using a crank for your shredder, you might try to hack a bicycle. if you can make a shredder with a longer arm, it would appear much easier to tear apart some material.
Why not try and convert a bike motor to power a shredder ? Though being fuel powered means more pollution but I think it’s a good alternative if the motor is powerful enough πŸ˜‰
What if you add a reduction gearbox in the middle to compensate effort with more crank turns ?

Good luck and keep us informed about any news πŸ™‚

dedicated
23/11/2017 at 13:10

So i looked around, and found this topic:

Human Power Shredder V2

I wanted to do something simulair, as the idea of having a flywheel, and some gearing would make hand power pretty consistant. This is a simple version of what me and my friend @clementhempel came up with yesterday.
Red = Gears from a bike
Green = The chain from a bike
Yellow = The handle
Pink = The flywheel with 12 – 20 kg, to create momentum
Blue = axis
Light blue = Plastic

Attachments:

dedicated
23/11/2017 at 20:47

@anris OMG the drawing was pretty confusing for me with no apparent perspective ^^
Where can we get an easy to mount flywheel or how to easily make one ?

dedicated
23/11/2017 at 21:12

@armbouhali Sorry about that, i hope that you get the idea if the flywheel and gears are just turned like 90′ inside your head πŸ˜‰
We thought about adding weight to a wheel from a bike or a car, or just try and find one from an old machine at the scrap-yard. You can also try your best at making one just like the guys in “Human power shredder V2” Where you make an X with some bars and add weight in all 4 corners.

– We have not found / made our flywheel yet, but this is the options we thought of πŸ™‚

helper
24/11/2017 at 22:54

I’m really wanting to stay clear of using a motor for both keeping the operating cost down as well as not been tied into a 1 or 3 phase location, and I’m loving all of your ideas. But what about a bit wheel crank to act like a flywheel once ya get momentum going you should be able to shred anything.

dedicated
26/11/2017 at 21:15

@cobhlanger
Nice that you are also considering being moter-free
What do you mean by using a bit wheel crank as a flywheel? I am not a naitive english speeking guy, and when google-ing “bit wheel crank” i only get pictures of bikes, and their gears. (like the picture i posted)

If you could explain or draw your idea then i would be thankfull πŸ™‚

Attachments:

helper
26/11/2017 at 22:05

Hey @anris sorry I couldn’t think of any better way to describe what I was thinking of. I’ve a pic here it’s from an old school apple shredder for making cider. It’s just a giant wheel to give a law of the lever advantage

Attachments:

dedicated
26/11/2017 at 22:14

Oh that’s okay @cobhlanger
That oldschool wheel is just what i tried to draw out of memory on that drawing a few replies up!
Do you have any idea of where to get your hands on one of these? I tried searching for “flywheel” on google, ebay and other pages, but with little luck.

helper
26/11/2017 at 23:01

I’d say those machines are as rare as hens teeth pure old school I’d say but then again ya prob could cast something simular. I’ll have a look and see what I can find

dedicated
27/11/2017 at 22:06

@cobhlanger good idea to make the crank part of the flywheel itself, this makes the design much space saving.

@anris those flywheels can also be found in old (foot operated) sewing machines.

helper
27/11/2017 at 22:39

Thanks @armbouhali

@anris i got onto the lads in the video (their based in my town) they got the machine from france
I’ll put a link up for it

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155882340918114&id=75693743113
Don’t know if it’ll work it’s a page on facebook

dedicated
28/11/2017 at 00:08

Thank you @armbouhali
I will be looking at old markeds where someone might have something.

And thank you @cobhlanger
The page works just fine, and the video looks great where you can see the momental power from the wheel smashing the poor appels.

I thought about the old-school flywheel, and it seems like you need to be lucky to get your hands one one, so i think the route to go it to make one yourself.

Once again you shal behold my stunning drawing skills, as i have made a visual of how you might be able to transform a car-tire, or a wheel from a bike, into a flywheel by adding some (painted in orange) weights.

You propably need some iron and some welding, and not just rope as i have drawn πŸ˜‰
Everything should hit 12-20 kg to be a decent flywheel in my opinion.

– What do you guys and girls think about this road of direktion?

Attachments:

helper
28/11/2017 at 00:37

@anris when I read tire first I was like “what’s he at just using the tire” then it all clicked when I saw your super awesome artistic drawing 👍

The wheel could definitely work but instead of attaching weights, make a slit in the tire and using a funnel fill the tire with cement (or something similar) now we’re talking 😎

And now that I think of it when you pull the funnel out stick a bit of a broom handle in before it sets ⚑

helper
29/11/2017 at 19:31

What stage are you at @anris

dedicated
29/11/2017 at 23:50

Hey again @cobhlanger, have been busy with school πŸ˜‰
It depends on what stage in which context!
With plastic as an overall projekt, i would say i have gotten to an allright stage, and after lots of experiments.. and failures. I have gotten to a point where i can make a series of products in my parents oven, you can have a look at a few here in some other topics.

Sanding HDPE

Precious Plastic Denmark – Tealight Holders

But if we stay on topic, with the shredder. I have gotten myself some lasercut parts in stainless steel for 336 euro. As you see i am still working on the engine πŸ™‚

As far as other machines go, still none, but me and a friend are looking forward to build an injection machine.

Here are some pics:

Attachments:

helper
30/11/2017 at 10:54

Ya used your parents oven! 😂 you’ve got balls lad 😂. Your links are brilliant love the way ya lay out everything in your posts.

Do ya need a mask while melting the plastic in the oven?

Is that an old shaft in the shredder?

What stage are you at @armbouhali

dedicated
30/11/2017 at 13:25

@cobhlanger I an at stage zero, gathering enough information to get started with less available options in my country and more difficulty to crowdfund a starting budget. That’s why any cheaper options with more available materials are more than welcome in my case πŸ™‚

About using a mask/respirator when melting plastics, one might need one when experimenting new things, or when dealing with plastics of different sources. Some plastic types such as PVC have toxic fumes, while other plastics known to be safe might simply contain some toxic additives wاhich evaporate when heated/burnt. So yes you need a mask near you to also deal with any possible hazard.

helper
30/11/2017 at 15:37

@armbouhali your like myself so just trying to get going.

Thanks for the info on the mask is there a particular type of mask I should be looking at that would specifically deal with the fumes?

dedicated
30/11/2017 at 23:09

Thank you @cobhlanger ! I am glad to hear that the layout is nice, as i see that my safety most likely needs some help.
As far as my knowledge go, melting HDPE in the oven should not be considered any more dangerus then sitting in a livingroom with 5-8 candles burning.
I usaly just open the window or the front door to get some ventilation.
Please correct me if i am wrong, i have been searcing for info about this for the last 6 month πŸ™‚

@armbouhali & @cobhlanger: About that stage zero ground, what are your end goals with this plastic projekt? Is it a hobby, business or educational purposes?

Good evening

helper
01/12/2017 at 01:54

@anris that’s good to know about the fumes off HDPE I’d like to give your candle holder a go soon but I’ll have to wait till herself is not around or she’d kill me. I was thinking of getting a scrap oven or a cheap 2nd hand one but hooking up to electric could be a problem as I’m sure they use a hefty power cable.

I’ve always wanted to run my own business and I’ve been close a few times. I like to look for an unusual business opportunity as it would interest me more and the beauty is I’m 4yrs off my military pension which will give me the flexibility to take chances on a business venture.

My problem at the moment is just time (+ money) I have an almost 3yr old daughter, just bought a derelict house that needs doing up and I’m studying business and accountancy in the evenings as well as the girlfriend working mad hours trying to progress her business.

dedicated
01/12/2017 at 10:10

@cobhlanger I hope everything works out for you!
I start seeing why you are also looking for a shredder oppotunity without a power caple and motor.
Have also been looking around for an oven for myself, and what i have seen, you can usualy get them for around 30 Euros. But room and power must also be taken into account.

If you are short on money, but gets a little time, then you can try out the tealight holders idea. It is a bit slow, but if you made yourself a bigger mold (like i did out of wood on the picture) And made it so the holes for the candles would be made instantly, you would have a small but allright production going on (Without the shredder!) And you will be able to make patterns that the shredded plastic cant do. (picture two)

PS, you are correct, it was an old shaft from a broomstic used as the shredder axis. πŸ™‚

Attachments:

dedicated
01/12/2017 at 14:35

@anris I simply act out of responsibility, using plastic waste is a whole world of new possibilities so every single idea interests me, whether it be in education, or for business purposes.

Algeria is ranked 13th among the world’s worst countries polluting oceans with plastic, and people started to notice the impact on the marine life more than a decade ago. For the time being, there’s no Precious Plastic workshop started in my country yet, so I plan to get the first one on feet either by doing everything on my own or by helping the first people who are ready to start. My goal is to spread awareness with an emphasis on education.
Making profit from waste comes as a way to motivate and mobilize people around the idea.

I’m very glad to be part of this creative community.

helper
04/12/2017 at 18:56

Try the recycle centres @anris i know round here whem people do up their kitchens they throw out their ovens even when there’s nothing wrong with them.

I wonder would a combi microwave do the same job as that would be an easier set up.

Good thinking on the broom handle

Keep up the good work @armbouhali

dedicated
04/12/2017 at 20:30

Thanks for the tip @cobhlanger
I have one center nearby where there’s a chance i might get my hands on one.

I gues the combi will do as long as it’s capable of heating the plastic up to around 180 ‘C.
(and not just microwaves it.. I have no clue what happens when you microwave it.. Propably nothing?)

@armbouhali your plan sounds amasing, i hope your Precious Plastic workshop in Algeria works out!

@rhoy2468 How is the video of the hand cranked shredder comming along? πŸ˜€

helper
06/12/2017 at 00:26

This guy here @anris recommends using a sandwich toaster

dedicated
07/12/2017 at 17:17

@cobhlanger That looks nice, looks like that is also a totally reliable option for making small batches of melted plastic!

Viewing 30 replies - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.