We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Hand powered extruder?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 months ago.

Don donfbecker

Hand powered extruder?

14/08/2019 at 23:40

Has anyone tried just putting a handle on the extrusion machine, instead of a motor?  I’m trying to get started making some things with a very small budget, and I was thinking I could build most of the machine, but not track down a motor yet, and just put a hand crank on it.  Is that even an option?

9 replies
1 subscribers
0 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes

In reply to: Hand powered extruder?

starter
16/08/2019 at 21:06

hello Sir, what you want to do with your extruder?
for example, if you want to do pot, or even filament you will need your hands for.
perhabs to put a bike

starter
19/08/2019 at 01:08

I don’t want to do the pot or anything.  I want to make bar stock and tubes primarily.  Maybe some small molds to make some small flat stock to run on my CNC router.  Need more volume than the injection machine can hold though, so the extruder made more sense.

new
19/08/2019 at 12:19

That could work, yeah. Possibly better with a flywheel. Not sure about the dimensions but be prepared to have a 50 cm long link with handle on it.

warrior
19/08/2019 at 17:42

Did you see the beam production thread https://davehakkens.nl/community/forums/topic/beam-production-v4/ ? Depending on the size of beams you are planning to make, they can take a while to extrude so it might be a pretty good workout with a hand crank, maybe a bicycle drive is easier. Also the beams produced have chance of voids.

For making sheet stock, I would consider making a compression mold. Even for beams, compression molds may be better.

The only tube making I’ve seen here was the work by @timslab and that used a wrap process, with the results being interesting, decorative, but not a replacement for tubing.

I think if you are making low restriction cavity molds, you may be able to make a large volume injection machine using the arbor press/gear&rack approach.

Good luck and post your results.

starter
20/08/2019 at 00:15

I don’t need long bar stock, just some small pieces to carve things from.  I don’t have room for multiple machines, so it seems to make more sense to make the extruder, and use a sheet and block mold with it when I need, and then I can also use it for extruding new 3d printing filament after I get a motor for it too.

warrior
20/08/2019 at 01:48

In the end of this thread https://davehakkens.nl/community/forums/topic/portable-desktop-injection-machine/page/5/ , I made some bar stock material with my benchtop injection machine. It has about 200cc stroke volume and I can get up to a 125 g HDPE part out of it.

Another option to consider is to get a bunch of cartridge heaters and a PID/SSR/T-C bundle and make a custom compression mold for the size you want, probably under $50 to go that route.

starter
20/08/2019 at 02:08

Another option to consider is to get a bunch of cartridge heaters and a PID/SSR/T-C bundle and make a custom compression mold for the size you want, probably under $50 to go that route.

That method has already crossed my mind.  I was looking at the way they were doing the experimental v4 press machine, and thought about making a smaller version.  The largest sheet I would want to make, right now at least, is 18×18 inches, maybe up to 1/2″ thick, though doing 1″ would be nice.  Most stuff would be smaller than that though.

warrior
20/08/2019 at 03:17

From my limited experiments, thorough, extended melt time and lots of compression is what it takes to reduce/eliminate the voids.

You probably saw the threads, but I don’t think anyone has a recycled plastic to filament path that works using the PP extruder.

new
20/08/2019 at 10:09

here is a list of ongoing activities about printing trash. the more promising work is the one from Vanplestic; they do basically print PET granulate right away; using a  extrusion machine as print head, quite a monster 🙂

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪