We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Handmade shredder blades. Building compromise.

Maksym Kosach subside

Handmade shredder blades. Building compromise.

28/12/2018 at 15:03

It apiers to be no available lasercutting or plasma machine in my region.
So starting my shredder with most complex part – thats the blade as for me.
Gained succes, with simple drill and angle grinder.
So here I`m about to leave some foto, and a simplified scheme made by myself inspired by those that Dave constructed.
Ready for sugestions, questions …
1. Plain 9 mm metal sheet (size: 110×60 mm). Drilling 3 holes 10 mm, as on a scheme.
2. Alot of grinder work.

Attachments:
26 replies
11 subscribers
4 saved
7 likes
sort on date
helper
07/01/2019 at 09:48

@veereshr drilling for the holes and an angle grinder with a cutoff disk should do the trick just fine, it won’t be fast however, but for some it beats the price of laser cutting.

starter
05/01/2019 at 23:10

Bonsoir,
Pour durcir l’acier, il suffit de le chauffer et le tremper.
Un truc simple, forge au gros charbon de bois ou BBQ activé avec un sèche cheveux.
Pour vérifier la température de trempe, il faut savoir que les aciers chauffé entre 810°et 820° ne sont plus magnétique et que c’est la bonne température pour la trempe dure.
Produit de trempe simple:
Trempe dure
Eau plus un peu de savon ,
huile de vidange (riche en carbone) ou végétale. Température de l’huile avant la trempe 60°

Trempe très dure
Eau salée,
goops (30% de parafine et 70% d’huile de friture ou graisse usagée) mélangée et durcie.
Pour l’ensemble, laisser refroidir très lentement à l’air libre.
On peut fabriquer une forge facilement avec une bouteille de gaz de 13 kg vide bien sur.
Voilà un exemple

new
04/01/2019 at 20:47

How is the progress?

I am also looking at an alternative to laser cutting to reduce costs.

starter
17/04/2019 at 16:29

Yeah now I can say it works. Tested it, now I know all the minuses of this construction. New photoes, and hope video will be also
https://youtu.be/9NLgNd9gUdU

Attachments:
new
09/04/2019 at 12:40

hello everyone,

I have 5 iron bars (1150 * 40 * 11)  that i would like to use for make this shredder. As I calculated, i need 8 blades, I’ll have about 160 mm of shredding space.

But a question persist for me :
You are going to make the hexagon (2 h as you said), very complicated i think.
I wonder if a square is sufficient for this ?
Square section are more common.

starter
10/01/2019 at 20:56

Bonjour à tous,
J’ai trouver sur la page Facebook la même machine mais construite de manière
simplifiée. Page Facebook de la société qui fabrique les machines:
FSKBuilders

Attachments:
starter
08/01/2019 at 23:49

thanks for video, sure steel tempering will take its place, otherwise blades will become blunt quickly.
Actually sawing by a grinder is not the most tedious process. Hexagons in the center of every blade – this took me about 2 hours each. I`ll describe the best way to do it later

starter
06/01/2019 at 04:51

@subside. I really like this idea. It should work great.   it will be quite time consuming but for some that is okay. Just make sure the plates are extremely flat against one another. Remove all rust dirt and other debris!

new
02/09/2019 at 23:45

This is really interesting! Good work! What did you notice to be the biggest negatives when making the blades like this?
I am considering making the blades with A) a CNC plasma cutter or B) a CNC milling machine and testing them with the rest of the standard shredder design, but I’m not sure what to look out for, or how tight the tolerances really need to be.

starter
18/04/2019 at 23:30

Has anyone thought of using dado spacer blades as shredder blades?  They look just like the shape of Dave’s shredder blades.

I originally wrote what became a long comment on this thread. I decided to post the question/suggestion as a new thread.  Take a look at it for an description of dado blades, and an idea which JUST evolved on using a upside down table saw as the basis for a shredder.

geoD

helper
18/04/2019 at 15:01

Yeah!, it would be awesome see in detaild how you do it!!

17/04/2019 at 21:28

nice nice nice, thanks for sharing ! there are quite some people who might be interested in this build. Would be nice If you could add a little more detail on how you made those blades 🙂

helper
05/04/2019 at 00:27

Hello!!, this really works? I’m looking for alternatives to build the shredder without laser

new
10/01/2019 at 22:27

@henna: Super interesting, but a lot of fumes ?

@subside
: For easy grinding and machining steel you can invert tempering by heating metal to same temperature as mentionned before (a bit above red) and let it cool down very slowly entirelly covered by sand. When it is completely cooled down it will be very easy to machine your piece (and when you are done you can temper it again).

starter
10/01/2019 at 21:00

Je me suis trompé, j’ai mis deux fois la même image.
Elle est nettement plus simple et moins coûteuse à réaliser

Attachments:
starter
09/01/2019 at 21:09

Re bonjour,
Je viens de retrouver la vidéo de la fameuse machine.

starter
09/01/2019 at 12:47

Bonjour,
En chinant sur You tube, j’ai vu une machine très simple qui fondait les déchets de plastique. Une fois fondu la matière (colorée ou non) était coulée dans des moules en acier.
Que pensez-vous de cette technique?
Elle pourrait être utile pour réaliser les boîtiers électrique pour les machine ainsi que les entonnoirs des machine et bien d’autre chose.
Quant à recycler du plastique , autant l’utiliser aussi pour habiller les machines.
Je vais faire une recherche pour retrouver la vidéo de la machine.

Bonne journée à vous tous

starter
21/10/2019 at 14:29

@subside Awsome work. As a steel worker and artist all that grinding is worth it when you dont have access to a laser cutter.

new
21/10/2019 at 12:19

Bro can i have found ur mail address??so that i can text u in inbox i need information about that.

03/09/2019 at 00:44

@s2019, You don’t, sure. You could mill in every corner of the hex something out ( for min. 8mm cutter) and get around 🙂 but the problem is then that you have to change pretty much all designs involving 90 deg corners (side plates,..) too.
With a 8mm cutter, the plates won’t fit well anymore. unless you weld all together just but even though, a first time assembly with no experience, you have to open up all 2-3 times again. This can take 2 or more days btw.

Re-designing all for a mill is interesting btw. (2-3 days for the cutting, I never ever do this again)

I would go for laser; here in Europe it’s around 200 – 400 Euro, ‘just’. Even if you’re good with a file, it’s still pretty hard to get it spot on. We throw here a coin to choose the one who grinds the laser cuts, pure sweat work 🙂

warrior
03/09/2019 at 00:30

@ppboys , Just curious, why do you need sharp corners to engage the hex bar?

new
03/09/2019 at 00:19

ppboys – thank you! that’s exactly the information I was hoping for, and so fast too!

I see what you mean about the extra grinding work with the plasma cutting option. The back of my cuts usually come out pretty messy even when the settings are dialed in. And shoot I forgot about the corners issue with milling.

I wanted to find out whether it would make sense to use those machines instead because my maker space has them, but with the total project cost in mind, the ~$200 for a laser cut set seems like it is a worthy “upgrade”.

02/09/2019 at 23:57

@whosmollyk : plasma cutter may leave lots of grinding work, unless it’s a plasma in the upper 4-6K like the hypertherm. CNC milling is even worst since you can’t make corners (hexbar) and other things .. you could but it’s getting out of proportions and needs various design changes. you want all tight and precise as possible. tolerances are in the 0.2-0.4 mm range to make a smooth and well functioning shredder. Btw. just grinding a laser cut set will make you busy for 2-4 hours with a file.

starter
19/04/2019 at 21:25

geonoregon dado blades, I think it is better for straight cutting, it`s teeth are to small, and it implies use at high speeds, high speed – means high temperature, plastics will melt and stick to blade. Prefer biger teeth and 60 rpm.

starter
17/04/2019 at 16:17

Emmanuel Square section will do allso i think. Or even thin wall pipe as key axis will be beter.

starter
09/01/2019 at 12:27

Bonjour,
Je suis occupé à fabriquer un four  de chauffe au propane qui prendra nettement moins de place.
Avant pour les découpe, j’utilisais des disques à acier comme la plus part des bricoleur. Maintenant je suis passer au disque pour l’inox car il coupe beaucoup plus rapidement en faisant des traits de coupes beaucoup plus fin et avec nettement moins de bavure. Gros avantage, il cause très peut d’échauffement de la pièce quand ce sont de fines pièces donc moins de déformation et de bleuissement.
Je posterai les photos du four une fois fini.

Bonne journée à vous tous

Viewing 26 replies - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪