We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

HDPE Guitar Picks

Tagged: 

This topic contains 17 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Pietro Putinatti 7 months ago.

Lucy Chaves lucychaves

HDPE Guitar Picks

28/02/2017 at 04:10

Hi from Costa Rica! My boyfriend and I started a new project some days ago, we are making guitar picks, we melt HDPE plastic to form a small sheet and then we shaping it with a dremel. I share you the results : )

If you have any ideas or suggestions related with this, please let me know!

Attachments:
17 replies
1 subscribers
0 saved
3 likes
sort on most likes

In reply to: HDPE Guitar Picks

helper
28/02/2017 at 10:09

Awesome @lucychaves! We are doing that here in Australia too… Are you using the compression?

new
28/02/2017 at 16:44

Something like that, it’s not exactly the compression, but we use the same principle 🙂

helper
01/03/2017 at 12:43

Cool 🙂

starter
01/03/2017 at 21:18

Hey @lucychavs these look really great!

I’d love to write a story about your project with guitar picks. Would that be okay? I’d need you to answer a few short questions and send some more pictures of your project and team (if you have them!)

Let me know the best way to contact you 🙂

helper
02/03/2017 at 07:53

Have you tried a pick punch? They’re a bit of a unitasker but I’d imagine they’d save you time over dremeling each one out by hand.

new
13/03/2017 at 04:39

Hi @trisaratops, of course 🙂
Send me an email ([email protected])

warrior
13/03/2017 at 13:51

@lucychaves

That’s a cool idea for a small and useful item that can easily be made from recycled plastic!

What will you do with the guitar picks when you have made them? Sell them? Give them away (as a promotion)??

Guitar picks seem to be sized by the thickness of the material, do you have a way to control this?

helper
13/03/2017 at 17:55

Very cool. I was heading in the same direction, but i was told by a very skilled musician, that picks are made from nylon due to stiffness, and that HDPE, PP and PE would make the sound dull. Also the size was very important down to 0.1 mm.
So i dropped it – without testing it out.

How is your experience with this?

new
13/03/2017 at 19:39

Hi @davidpaag, my boyfriend is a musician too, he tests all the guitar picks and decides what needs to be improved. It’s true that size and thickness are important, but you can play with that according to the amount of plastic you melt.
We have had good results, there are already guitar picks of different materials (not just nylon) and the sound stays great.

new
13/03/2017 at 19:50

Hi @andyn,
Currently, here in Costa Rica, there is much support to the national designer, so we decided to develop a brand around this product, is something new in our country. We have also thought about personalizing and selling them to national music groups, so they can give them away in small concerts.

You’re right, the thickness is very important in the guitar picks. Our way of controlling it is based on the amount of plastic we melt to form the sheet.

warrior
16/05/2017 at 22:29

@igor-smog this

new
23/05/2017 at 20:08

@chadiator, the Pick Punch is used to make guitar picks with credit cards and things like that, it isn’t strong enough for the plastic depending on the thickness that you want.

helper
21/06/2017 at 18:58

Genial. ¿como es su proceso de elaboración?

dedicated
07/01/2018 at 17:34

I’ve been recently testing with fused plastic bags to create PE sheets of different thicknesses, colors and patterns. My musician friend has lost his guitar pick so I’ve tried to cut out its shape from one of my sheets using a pair of scissors and they work pretty well.

The guitar pick punch (picture below) is a good innovation for on-the-go uses, but with a wrong way of marketing. Indeed expired credit cards are good neither in thickness nor in flexibility.

Creating a material with the exact thickness and flexibility needed can be achieved by ironing together as many thin layers of plastic bags as needed.

Sorry I have no pictures to post right now
Keep up the good work 🙂

Attachments:

starter
07/01/2018 at 22:23

@lucychaves

ha ha. good idea about an advance product of recycled plastics.
but maybe you can make them all with one mold out of aluminum or else silicone rubber material.
you can dremel (rotary) an aluminum material using precision bit set
of carbide type manually. coz i see you are good enough with dremel tool.
this is just my own thought, that making one mold (to make similar type of product) using precision tool is way more effective rather than making them one by one using that tool (dremel).
as you can see below, i began using some of silicone rubber mold ( RTV-52) which is quiet resistant with the plastic temperature (thermoplastic mold methods) to make some similar type of product. and i have many mold with different shapes and types to make recycle plastic product. that way, i can make them as many as i want 🙂
keep up the good work.

greetings,

Kuro

Idonesia

Attachments:

starter
09/05/2019 at 04:54

Hey guys!! I had the same idea here in Brazil, and the one big problem I was facing was how to make the thin sheets out of molten plastic. How do you make them there? I would really love an answer!

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪