We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Hello from Australia – Looking to connect!

This topic contains 24 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Bill 2 days ago.

Craig Byrne erneststudio

Hello from Australia – Looking to connect!

15/04/2016 at 09:43

Hi there Peoples,

I am from Melbourne in Australia and I am interested in seeing if anyone else is looking to build a shredder? So that we can buy laser cut parts together. The more the merrier…

Cheers
Craig

24 replies
4 subscribers
0 saved
starter
15/04/2016 at 23:52

Hi bud i am in Brisbane i took the shredder draft down to the local shop to get the shredder cut out it is not expensive to get done the only problem i had was the drawings where not to scale and the parts where going to come out to small.
I also have a friend who runs an electric motor shop so getting second hand parts is not problem to keep it cheap.
Have you looked at the drawings if so how did you go ?

new
16/04/2016 at 07:25

How much did it cost for the laser cutting? I got a quote for about $700 in Melbourne…

And same with the drawings here came up a bit small.

If your laser cutter is cheaper maybe might be worth couriering/shipping it here…

Let us know when you can…

Cheers
Craig

PS have you assembled your shredder? and did you make it from stainless or mild steel?

starter
16/04/2016 at 10:38

I don’t have a price at this stage still trying to get past the drawings and looks like there are others having the same problem as us with the drawings.

I have got stuff laser cut before in stainless the price $700 is a bit high.

Last time it was about $60 for the sheet and i could have as much cut out as i wanted.

Once i get past the drawing i am more then happy to work with you to save on cost.

Yours Kindly
Derek

17/04/2016 at 02:32

Hi Craig,

Im 23 Indian aeronautical engineer. Here in Sydney till coming June. I want to start this business . only I need is partner as I don’t know anything here. I can invest for all. If you like to work with me please contact me. 0452415041 – Bipin

starter
18/04/2016 at 15:25

Hay Craig my name is Mitch I am from Melbourne Brunswick east . I am thinking about building a machine we should team up call me when ever I already run a small business but my father in law works looking after similar machines but in large scale . I am catching up with him tomorrow as he might be able to help build one. If your interested in having a chat my mobile is 0421281410 give me a buz lets get making

starter
19/04/2016 at 23:36

G’day guys I own a laser \, so if you would like parts cheep ill help. I will be cutting them from scrap to keep costs down. i’m having trouble just opening the files and need someone to convert them to DXF if anyone can help.

helper
22/04/2016 at 15:04

G-day all, I’m down on the Mornington Peninsula, love what the community is doing here, its a little bit awesome 😊

Oldmansam I mite be able to help you with that file mate, did you what to send it to me

helper
23/04/2016 at 00:54

@erneststudio Hi mate, I’m going to build a shredder, not sure what approach I’ll take yet, thinking I may even convert a old metal frame plant/leaf mulcher & just make a new blade/cutting mechanism. Anyways as stated above I’m down on the Mornington Peninsula.

@oldmansam I’m trying the @ to see if that will give you a notification, sing out if you want ahand with that file.

Off topic: I’m very new to this site, I can’t seem to find how you follow a topic or if you are able to send a PM to someone, if some one could point me in the right direction that would be awesome. 🙂

helper
23/04/2016 at 01:06

@oldmansam is this what you are looking for

Missing Shredder DXF Laserfiles

starter
24/04/2016 at 13:01

The first spin of the shredder was like an ex-girlfriend a tad scary.
@enviro thanks.

I have had it running for about 9 hours and maybe 3/4 tonne of plastic, its getting warm, I think a lubricant is needed

helper
24/04/2016 at 13:06

Sounds awesome, can’t wait to get mine built @oldmansam got any photos?

starter
28/04/2016 at 06:14

Hey guys.
Im living up here in The southern highlands just south of Sydney.
I’m looking at building a shredder, do any of you have a company/fabricator/ friend that can later cut without blowing my bank account apart?.

Cheers.
Campbell

helper
02/05/2016 at 05:28

Hi @oldmansam, not sure where you are located but if you are in Melbourne region, I’m interested in getting a price of you for the laser cutting.

new
03/05/2016 at 10:24

Hi all,

I’m a mechanical engineer/environmental campaigner in Melbourne. I’m keen to organise a Melbourne meet up to share ideas and building progress!

My number is 0408 428 595 or you can contact me [email protected]

Cheers,

James

starter
04/05/2016 at 00:25

Hi,
I am based in the Margaret river region of Western Australia and keen to get in touch with any one else over here. I have a shredder nearly complete and in the process of getting the parts together for the injection mold. I have arranged to take collection of plastic from the Australian Marine Debris Initiative and Tangaroa Blue Foundation from beaches in WA. At the moment I run surfboard building workshops at my property near Augusta, if there is interest I would love to run a machine building workshops.
Give me a call any time on 0459765754
http://www.boogaloosurfyoga.com.au
[email protected]

Cheers,
Paul

helper
05/05/2016 at 01:35

G-day @paulenglish, you’re in a nice spot of the world, welcome 🙂

new
07/05/2016 at 04:20

If its costing AUD700 to just get it cut out then you can buy them on line ready to go at http://filamaker.eu/shop/ and all made up.
If you search on Alibaba you can get the blades for under $10 each. I just sent some enquides to some manufacureds in China for prices for shredder heads. Ill let you know what they reply once I get a responce. Im assuming the complete head around 200mmx200mm size to be around $80-$150

helper
07/05/2016 at 06:08

Hey @jcampen, was that price for using stainless steel components ?

The price I just got was $874 + GST for S/S & $387 + GST for mild steel, then there is another $90 to get the axle machine

new
07/05/2016 at 06:32

enviro, I just saw someone mention they paid over A$700 to get the parts cut. When I see I can buy the head off the shelf for about A$900 I cant see the point to go to the trouble to make the head. The cost on the Filimaker site is also in Euro’s and I usualy find they are double the cost if you buy the same stuff direct from China.

Some might think A$700 is ok, but to me it’s really a lot for what it is. I have been living in Asia for 15 years now, and it always shocks me how overpriced everything in Australia is now days. Nothing is relative to any reality of what it actually take to do a job anymore. It used to be that they apply how many hours it takes and cost for what material are used to make something and then add on some margin. Now days prices for a job have no relevance to any of that anymore. People just pull a made up price out of their ss like a white rabbit magic trick and usually at 3 time what it should be.

I sent out an enquiry to some manufactures of shredders in China, and Ill let you know what they come back with.

helper
13/05/2016 at 06:22

Hello, I am so happy to find Precious plastics, as I have been searching for something like this for a while now. I live near Woolgoolga, North coast NSW (half way between Sydney and Brisbane) and am a Marine Biologist/ Environmental Science Teacher. I am at the beginning of starting The Pacific Collective – with the aim of removing plastic from the pacific ocean. I am in talks with scientists at the National Science Marine Centre (Coffs Harbour) and am working with a mechanic friend who is looking over the blueprints and we aim to make the machines and get started, asap.
Looking forward to learning and sharing,
Thanks Dave and team for your inspiration, foresight and dedication. I hope we can contribute back to you and team.
Cheers
Louise Hardman

starter
01/11/2017 at 13:29

HI There were lots of posts last year. Has anyone got one of there projects off the ground?

starter
14/06/2018 at 15:34

Hi Everyone
Is there any Precious Plastic groups in action in Australia please
I would be very interested to hear as to where they are
Cheers

starter
15/06/2018 at 03:41

@billa14 From my investigations, there are several. Head to FB and connect with the PP chapter in your area. The engineers from Monash University are building machines and I know that in Brunswick Victoria someone is building a machine.

starter
15/06/2018 at 14:13

Hi Craig
I am from Brighton in Tasmania and we have started shredding plastic and hopefully soon we will be extruding if the machine we have made works
Fingers crossed

Cheers
Bill

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.