We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Hello from Canada!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Eric Jon Oler 2 years ago.

Eric Jon Oler jonoleric

Hello from Canada!

13/12/2016 at 17:27

Hi, everyone! I am a student at Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I love all of Dave’s projects (including many of the old ones), especially Precious Plastic. I want to be more involved with this, but I’m unfortunately broke and living with my parents (pls don’t judge…we all have our challenges 🙂 ), so I can’t really make the machines or anything…Any advice? Also, I love languages, design, and especially education. I LOVE EDUCATION! So much (sorry for yelling). I think I can safely say that one of the biggest problems facing global society today is a lack of proper education. Sorry for ranting, but if you’re still reading by this point, thank you very much! Love you all, and super happy to be a part of the community!

5 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved

In reply to: Hello from Canada!

new
16/12/2016 at 09:58

Hi Eric,
I recently moved to Salt Spring Island in BC. I was able to find a group of makers on this tiny island and we are working together to build a couple of these machines. I’ve already got 4 motors donated to me by other members of the team!

I would suggest trying to find other makers in Calgary. There has got to be some sort of makerspace or online group you could team up with? Maybe a university group? You can always be a leader,inspirer, or instigater, if you don’t have the tools or know-how to do whatever it is you want to do. Good luck! and let me know if you need a motor 😛

warrior
16/12/2016 at 21:18

Welcome to Precious Plastic @jonoleric, we are glad to have you here.

Pretty much all Precious Plastic machines require an investment of several hundred dollars, which can be challenging for most people. Fortunately for you and many US residents, scrap yards and facilities to get second hand geared motors, steel and cables can easily be found. If you have access to power tools like an angle grinder and a welding machine, making your own machines will be much easier, it will be just a matter of finding some metal tubing and a few bucks for the electronics, motors and the laser cut parts

Btw: You are just 17 years old… There’s absolutely nothing wrong with living with your parents at that age. Here in Costa Rica, many people in their 20’s, 30’s and even 40’s still live with their parents and help them pay bills, take care of the house, etc…

Calgary Metal Recycling Inc

starter
30/12/2016 at 07:44

yay canada!
me too.
very excited about this.
🙂

starter
10/02/2017 at 09:13

Hey just wondering how you’re making out?

helper
10/02/2017 at 17:23

quick update on me: I’ll be moving with my family to Kitchener, Ontario this August, and then shortly after that, I’ll go on a 2-year mission, meaning that for the next 2.5 years, I won’t be able to do much in terms of machining, etc. however; I am still super interested in networking and keeping my options open for the future! Thanks everyone!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪