We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

🇪🇪 Precious Plastic Estonia

Tagged: 

This topic contains 93 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  Argienel 4 months ago.

Jegor jegor-m

🇪🇪 Precious Plastic Estonia

25/06/2017 at 20:39

June 2017:
Today we have built the shredder and did a test run. A couple of things still to be tweaked, but overall we managed to get our first batch of shredded plastic.

Thanks to @davehakkens and the team for making this possible.

We would be happy to help anyone who is planning to start building the machines soon with some before-assembly advice.
——————————————————————
December 2017 update: Shredder, Injector and 5/7 of the Extruder ready.
——————————————————————
January 2018: Moving part of the production to Tallinn.
——————————————————————
March 2018: The last – Compression machine almost ready.
——————————————————————
May 2018: Started making wallclocks.
——————————————————————
Sep – Dec 2018: Not so active season, looking for sponsorhip deals.
——————————————————————
Estonian team: @jegor-m; @maximmm; @igor-smog; @dannydadog
Instagram /// Facebook page /// BAZAR page

93 replies
10 subscribers
5 saved
10 likes
sort on date
starter
16/10/2017 at 12:38

I think it’s very good idea

warrior
19/09/2017 at 21:48

@ashrak,

I was tempted to put it in a bucket with cold water, but had just one try, so decided to leave it cool outside in the air. Will try different options next time.

helper
19/09/2017 at 21:29

@jegor-m
About the alu. can melting, tried to cool it down fast?

warrior
17/09/2017 at 10:10

@jegor-m
really amazing work you are doing here! I love it! What kind of press are you using? A hydraulic press? How much force does it apply? With my small Tshirt press I do not have enough pressure to have the material spreading equally into my negative form.

All the best
Flo 😉

warrior
07/08/2017 at 17:37

@siemenc, thanks. Documenting everything is the key to a bright future)).

@jofrewo, this is going to be up with the website that we’re working on.

@mattia-io, thanks. Still a lot to tweak and learn, but we’re getting there.

helper
16/08/2018 at 17:48

Amazing work !!

starter
08/08/2018 at 10:29

Great work guys!

warrior
14/05/2018 at 21:56

@jegor-m You could try leaving one of the ‘failures’ in one side (cut it off at the gate) and next time you inject the plastic you will get better flow and pressure into the empty cavity. I agree about the mould heating, not only does it take much longer but also wastes a lot of energy repeatedly heating and cooling the mould.

Very nice looking mould by the way!

warrior
14/05/2018 at 10:43

thanks for posting the errors! I think we had 2 of these moulds and with one we increases the diameter size of the “injection shaft” to make the plastic flow in easier. Not sure which one I send 😅 But that could help? Mould heating definitely helps but is such a hassle to do every time. Also @jerzeek might have some tips on this one!

warrior
03/05/2018 at 12:54

@jegor-m

Cool! I look forward to seeing the rotomoulding thingy!

dedicated
02/05/2018 at 23:15

@jegor-m

Always so easy interessant…

Thanks

warrior
29/04/2018 at 00:23

🌎Update N.22 – Mess

For those of you who wanted to see how messy our garage is – this is ‘relatively clean’ state. Not much can be otherwise said apart from that we’re building a custom compression machine, photos soon to follow.

*panoramic photo stiched by a trial version of Autopano Giga. Quite a good software, in case anyone asks.

Attachments:
warrior
17/04/2018 at 09:00

@mattia-io,
Yeah, it is 106th of January here in Estonia. We’re just manufacturing, setting up internal structures, getting ready for spring events and getting torn into pieces by people willing to get machine prices from us. Usual stuff, not much eh🙂

warrior
16/04/2018 at 22:15

Heyyyy 🙂
What’s happening here… winter sleep?

Much love from the south 👹

helper
16/04/2018 at 00:41

Really nice!

helper
29/03/2018 at 20:52

@jegor-m @flo-2

Haha this story is awesome !!!

You are crazy to accept an order of 500 pieces but really good move and exempl. Thing if know i have the same i make the same choice becaus you made it !

Hey and just for jokking, badg is not a small thing ? Heart about something like we don’t do small object with P.P. 😉

Cheers form switzerland
Gaetan

new
25/03/2018 at 17:34

waaw looks pretty nice ! Could we visit? 🙂

dedicated
20/02/2018 at 19:54

@ashrak
Finland is also a beautiful country…
Thanks a lot…
Melting at 115′? Is it really so low..

When a cap indicates PE do we have to consider as HDPE?

DiB

helper
19/02/2018 at 10:41

@jegor-m

How do you guys deal with the rubbery layer inside the bottle caps?

You mean the closure lining material? Here they are not so common anymore, but I do remember them many years ago, are they not easy to pick out by hand?

Also good to know is that the lining should be LDPE.

dedicated
05/02/2018 at 23:49

Like always awesome!

helper
01/02/2018 at 15:50

Awesome!

warrior
29/01/2018 at 08:01

@magnoliascaboose,

General practice is to avoid mixing various types of plastic in one item as it makes it unrecyclable and cannot guarantee item’s structural integrity. It might just fall apart as the bits won’t stick to each other.
Smoothness is mostly controlled in the fabrication process itself through setting the right temperature; having a smooth mould etc.
The first step is to separate the plastic. By product type first, then with some research by material type as well.
Also don’t forget there is so much information here on the forum, look something up.

Good luck with your recycling!

starter
29/01/2018 at 00:48

Wow!!! I would love to start this where I’m living. My idea was to collect plastics that have washed up on the beach but after reading realize certain plastics melt together more smoothly than others. Gosh where do I even begin?

dedicated
26/01/2018 at 08:04

Very good…
👌👍

helper
26/01/2018 at 01:59

Nice work, I like your documentation.

warrior
25/01/2018 at 22:20

🌎Update N.17 (1/2) – PP Coasters

Over the last couple of weeks we have been testing the injection machine. For that we made two metal moulds and one acrylic mould (plexiglass).

What you need to know is that the ambient temp. in our garage is about 0°C.

The first photo shows the coasters we got.
Pictures 2 and 3 show the first try using metal moulds. Temperature set for a bit over 200°C. This is mostly due to the fact that it cools down quite fast in such a cold air.
Result – pretty nice coasters with minimum post processing / finishing up.
What could be done better? – wait more time to get uniform melt – better surface.

Pictures 4 and 5 show a second attempt. Process temperature was lowered.
Result – as you can see both of the coasters are not finished. This is mainly due to the fact that the mold is cold and plastic cools down and solidifies before reaching the furthest wall. Before you say it, we actually wanted to put the injection point to the side, to get plastic to flow in weird shapes and colours. The smaller coaster, if it can be called a coaster, has dark lines. This is because of the leftovers after the previous batch (pic 2 and 3)
What could be done better? – Faster injection; Longer wait;
Also a good idea is to add an indicator hole, that would show that the mould is full and it is time to stop pressing.

*acrylic mould has not been tested properly yet.

Attachments:
dedicated
22/01/2018 at 19:32

And you have pictures?

Attachments:
warrior
09/08/2017 at 06:58

Hey @ashrak,

We’re based at our friend’s summer house in a garage about 60km outside Tallinn)). Might be relocating to Tallinn at some point in the future.

dedicated
21/02/2018 at 23:30

Thanks a lot…
Yes I remember now this post is really detailed, I have really to store those picture somewhere accessible.

I understand now why my HDPE burned 😋

@ashrak, I am sure @jegor-m works on his next weekly report… And we will be impressed like always!

Waiting for news

DiB

helper
21/02/2018 at 09:37

@dbougas

Yes

from wikipedia;

low-density polyethylene is typically 105 to 115 °C

I think this info exist in an other post, about plastic materials in the forums.
Here is one: https://davehakkens.nl/community/forums/topic/types-of-plastic/

Sorry jegor-m for hijacking your post :S

Viewing 30 replies - 61 through 90 (of 93 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.