We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Hello from New Jersery!

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Olivier 7 months ago.

Craig S. Tokarik craigt63

Hello from New Jersery!

07/12/2019 at 19:15

I am a small business owners who would like to get some feedback on the validity of making Shipping pallets and other products from recycled plastic film, bags, bottles. Please let me know if you have any ideas to help with this project. Thanks Craig!

3 replies
2 subscribers
0 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes
hero
09/12/2019 at 04:03

Welcome to Precious Plastic @craigt63
Making shipping pallets out of plastic is not very practical, at least not if you are shipping heavy objects. First, the plastic planks will bend if something heavy is put on them, so you would need to extrude some pretty thick planks to avoid this. Second, heat will deform the pallets over time. And third, it would require a lot of plastic. If you managed to make plastic planks, it would be better to use them for making furniture or dog houses, rather than pallets.

Just my 2 cents.

new
10/12/2019 at 21:38

Hi Olivier, I have a flooring business that deals in shipping flooring on pallets, Over the years I’ve seen pallets made from Hardwoods, as well as soft like Pine or Poplar, Asian Luan, and plastic, though I’m not sure what type. The plastic pallets are reusable just like any other made from wood, the plastic pallets appeared to be just as strong or stronger than the ones made from wood. Probably not something that could be made from home, but somebody is making pallets out of plastic. If it does take a lot of plastic to make them it would be great way to re~utilize plastics going to the landfill.

hero
10/12/2019 at 21:57

@craigt63 I haven’t tried myself so I can’t tell for sure if it would work. I googled “Plastic pallets” and found that there are indeed pallets made out of plastic, but the design is a little different from wood pallets, they are made with a more complex structure to support weight.

I guess you will need to try and test 🙂

Attachments:
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪