We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Help wiring my motor

Tagged: , , ,

Malik V. mvenson

Help wiring my motor

04/06/2019 at 04:50

I have a split phase motor 1/3hp I got off amazon. I didn’t realize it was a split phase until I tried to google how to wire it. I need help can someone explain in simple terms what I have and how to make it work. I also figure it’ll move to fast for my extruder so any idea on how to slow it down. Also what is the green wire that’s screwed to it.

Attachments:
3 replies
1 subscribers
0 saved
0 likes
sort on date

In reply to: Help wiring my motor

warrior
04/06/2019 at 12:45

Hi @mvenson

First off, the green with yellow stripe wire is a safety earth connection, it should be earthed.

In a split phase motor you have two coils, these are between connections 1-4 and 2-5. It looks like 1-4 is the main winding and  2-5 the start winding (there should be a capacitor in series with this winding, may be hidden inside the case).

Note that I’m not familiar with US wiring, but it looks like you should connect what I believe is called the ‘hot’ wire to pin 1 and the neutral to pin 4. Then if you also connect 2 to 1 and 5 to 4 the motor will spin in one direction, 5 to 1 and 2 to 4 it will spin in the other direction. (The connections are left permanently in place).

BE VERY CAREFUL WITH LINE POWER! Note the warning on the motor and insulate/cover the terminals so you can’t touch them.

warrior
04/06/2019 at 07:10

Hi @mvenson ,

Have you tried searching the forum for motor wiring ?

Lot of topics out there that might help, like:
The big ELECTRONICS topic
(Almost) Definitive guide on Motors (WIP)
Will it Shred??

starter
05/06/2019 at 00:08

Thank you for your help. I have a much better understanding now 🙂

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪