We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Help with sending files to a laser cutter

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Nicolas 3 years ago.

Boston wickedsymphony

Help with sending files to a laser cutter

02/04/2017 at 04:12

I’m still new when it comes to CAD, laser cutting, etc, everything I’ve done myself so far has just been on paper. So that being said I have no idea what the files are in the download package and how and where I should send them to get the parts I need cut out. I love this project idea and want to participate so any help would be much appreciated.

So if someone could explain to me like I’m 5 years old the process of sending the designs to a laser cutting company. Like which files I need to send, who I need to send them through, and any other information that a 5 year old wouldn’t know… thank you much for the help.

2 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved
helper
02/04/2017 at 09:27

I guess you are talking about the shredder parts.

When I went to the cutter I used a memorystick(pendrive/flashdrive), and copied the entired 00_laser files folder.

If you downloaded the files kit, you will find the laser file folder.

precious-plastic-kit-master – precious-plastic-kit-master -& 3. Build – Shredder – Blueprints

starter
02/05/2017 at 16:16

Sketchup is a good software package that is easy to learn, works across Windows and Mac, and is free, if you want to draw you’re own parts. You can get plug ins to be able to export files in .dxf file format which is what is preferred by those who use laser cutters (here in Australia for that matter). Just be sure to change your camera view settings to parallel projection and view the 2D shape from the top view. You’ll need to play around with it for a few hours or so, but once you graps a few basic concepts, you’ll appreciate the power of it. Word of caution, it’s much easier to draw it that build it. Cheers!

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪