Support our newest Precious Plastic campaign 🍌

Homes in Plastic

This topic contains 16 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile gravatar of Patricio Patricio 1 week ago.

Profile gravatar of PatricioPatricio
patodel82

Homes in Plastic

01/02/2017 at 17:56

So…
Plastic waste is a huge issue. But also allowing everyone to have a home is also another huge issue.
Why cant we impact the planet by recycling and shaping plastic into plastic designed homes for homeless?

The idea is to have home designs in plastic. The design will require different angles: easy to build (lego like), decision on water and electricity conduits, security, windows elements.

Project will have these streams:
Home Design
Building Technology Designs (based on Dave’s work, but the molding might require some twist)
Spreading (enabling reachable workwide)
Community

So…who’s in?

Jump in! Share ideas! Provide Feedback!

Profile gravatar of Olivier
2+
08/02/2017 at 05:42

For the home mould there are 2 feasible approaches, one is making a mould to shape the plastic like big bricks (like lego pieces as you mention), and another way is to make plastic lumber with a large flat mould with several heating elements attached.

Toggle replies
Profile gravatar of Patricio
2+
13/02/2017 at 01:23

Yes! I’ve been researching in different options available. Here’s some twist. What if we can do a design that can be shared openly and printed in 3d printer worldwide. So we connect the recycling directly to the needed design.
We can have homes decentralized production with recycled plastic.
Kit would help privates and non profit organizations to impact the world easier.
What do you think?

Toggle replies
Profile gravatar of Aiden Ryan
1+
19/02/2017 at 12:16

Awesome idea I think!
I’m from Australia, and we have a system where you can receive 10 cents for recycling beverage containers. This is great for recycling, but also gives homeless or poorer people an opportunity to make money whilst cleaning up the place.
If we could get plastic of all types to be worth some money (with Precious Plastic!!) then there would be much more opportunity for plastic cleanup and collection, and for people who are homeless or poor, collecting their own building materials off the street could help towards creating some sort of shelter.
I’ve also seen people 3D printing entire houses in China (on Youtube)…
Let’s keep this idea happening!
Aiden

Toggle replies
1+
23/02/2017 at 17:03

Thanks for the feedback!!! I think its feasable. Just need to put together the efforts toward it!!
The 3d printing I saw in China was about cement huge printers. I believe in making small parts with plastic.
If the design is centralized then any non profit organization can join the program and start printing homes.
Homeless would be building their homes by cleanining the planet!!

Toggle replies
Profile gravatar of tono
2+
04/03/2017 at 05:32

Hi there,

We are late comers to precious plastic and our first Project is related to house building for our eco beach resort in Popototan island Palawan Philippines.

We have only had time to build the Shredder so Correct me if i am wrong, but i feel like the problem we have for building is the slow speed and efficiency of our machines.

So our first product for building are the ECOBRICKS, which are basically PET bottles stuffed with unrecycable plastics like plastic bags, aluminium, filmed…etc, what is great because these plastics have zero value and are normally left behind.

Our shredder is a great tool to make the process more eficcient and faster besides making it better than handmade as we can stuff more plastics inside.

I will document the process here, Would love to hear your thoughts

Have a great day.

Toggle replies
Profile gravatar of tono
1+
04/03/2017 at 05:32

this is the product

Attachments:
Toggle replies
Profile gravatar of tono
04/03/2017 at 05:33

this is the technic

Attachments:
Toggle replies
Profile gravatar of tono
04/03/2017 at 05:34

here is some inspiration buildings

Attachments:
Toggle replies
Profile gravatar of tono
04/03/2017 at 05:36

some more

Attachments:
Toggle replies
Profile gravatar of tono
1+
04/03/2017 at 05:37

more…

Attachments:
Toggle replies
Profile gravatar of tono
1+
04/03/2017 at 06:04

i have best info in how to build with them taken from here:

http://www.eco-tecnologia.com

Toggle replies
1+
06/03/2017 at 22:50

Awsome plastic building!!!!!
What if anyone can reshred (using Dave’s) and 3d reprint following a digital design.
I’ve read that Economic Forum in 2016 in Davos started a stream of work for plastic strategy.
I’ve talking to 3d printing experts and they’ve told me that printing using recycled plastic is a challenge.
Any feedback regarding this point will really help me! 🙂

Toggle replies
Profile gravatar of nonkonform
20/03/2017 at 22:05

Challenge excepted!.. or done!?

My only use of the extruder would be to make filament and the shredder for palletts.. but right know I´m not sure if the extruder can do it.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1847917
I will try this soon

it worked 😉

Toggle replies
25/03/2017 at 18:38

Great!!! So you made filament right? Did you tryed it in a 3d printer? Check this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAdv-oRtS9Y

Let us know how it goes!

Toggle replies
Profile gravatar of ruben septianus
07/04/2017 at 05:57

Hello..I am Ruben from Indonesia..

Well I have the same idea by the way..and just researched for the possibility..
For the shape and dimensional, it should no problem to make such a “plastic brick”..
From the material properties, some plastics also meets the requirements..But still better to make a composite (mixing with other material).

But still I am not sure from the fatigue strentgh properties..The normal clay brick house maybe can survive until 20-30 years..Still need some tests for this plastic bricks..

Another problem is from the joining of the bricks..we need some kind of special adhesives, depends on the brick materials..Combine with such ‘joining-LEGO-shape’, maybe it will be strong enough..

But we need to make first, and maybe test it under University’s Labs..

Toggle replies
1+
14/04/2017 at 03:06

Hi Ruben!!! Greetings from Argentina!!!
I believe its the moment to start the designs. Can start with parts: my thought is floor. Many in need require to have a floor, and now have plain ground between walls.
With this can have a project running with social impact and working on design for a full house made of plastic in the meantime.
I will be presenting the project this week in a local goverment contest so hope I can have a boost to start!! Will let you know how it goes. Try to find something local to boost it there also!!
Keep posting, lets keep in contact.

Toggle replies
Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.