We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Housing from ocean plastics

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Louis 1 month ago.

Wholistic Synergy Hawaii wholisticsynergyhawaii

Housing from ocean plastics

02/03/2019 at 04:26

Aloha from Big Island Hawaii.  We are currently organizing several beach and park cleanups throughout the Hawaiian Islands. The goal is to be able to use ocean plastics we collect for building homes.  We have thousands of pounds of trash here washing up to the beaches every day.  Our organization would really appreciate some help in getting knowledgeable and equip to process this waste back into usable parts and pieces of homes.  The islands have major issues with housing, termites, trash, and ocean trash… we need to create solutions.  Who would like to help us get the word out about our organization and connect on projects. It takes a Global Village to solve this problem we all face.  Time is short and the next generations are looking to us to help.  Please help spread the word about our organization and help us to network with those in the world who resonate with our cause and mission.  Thank you so much!  Keep up the great work and thank you for creating this site!

4 replies
2 subscribers
0 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes
new
02/03/2019 at 22:18

hey there, can you please use search function, “bricks”, there are some hints and answers on this. Personally, I would not even let my dog sleep a night in something made from plastic. For that ambient temperature and sun exposure will have to be investigated first. I know people freaking out already knowing the parquet or ceiling is done with plastic… But possible building a workshop, stall or the like may do work.

new
02/03/2019 at 22:31

ah, please, let us know where to find your project, facebook, etc…
g

new
19/03/2019 at 20:40

sounds like a very good idea mate! do keep us updated!

starter
20/03/2019 at 00:51

Hey,
You’ve come to right place, we are all motivated to solve this problem.
I know there’s a few organisations out there providing homes for the poor with plastic waste:

My favorite : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfWBhNhZuzY

On this site, you’ll find loads of blue prints on how to start your own little recycling workshop. I guess you could start from there and look to build bricks or pannels and then scale it up to the supply you’re collecting.

There’s a bunch of challenges attached to these, like some the guys said before you need to appeal to the general public. Once of the strategies is to provide quality products, only mentioning on a secondary basis the product is made from recycled plastics. There’s a washing up liquid brand (which I forgot the name of it) who focused on using natural products instead of chemical ones. Advertising this as a benefit to the customer (i.e. “your hands will thank you for it” etc.) instead of mentioning the environmental aspect first. You need to try and identify that to scale your project further.

I love the initiative and want to hear more about this so please share your details with us all, we will support you!

Keep going and let’s keep the 7 mile miracle clean and alive (especially pipeline ;p)

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.