We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

How did you make your own shredder teeth?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Andy Noyes 2 years ago.

Mason Tomko masontomko

How did you make your own shredder teeth?

11/12/2017 at 07:59

If you didn’t stick to the 100% accurate blueprint, and you made your own teeth for the shredder, how did you do so, how much did it cost, and can it be cheaper?

6 replies
1 subscribers
0 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes
helper
11/12/2017 at 11:57

it depends on what tools you have available, but the most basic would be to print out a template and glue it to the steel and cut it out with an angle grinder with a cut off disk and a sanding disk to clean it up. if you have access to a belt sander it is even faster to do it. some cleanup could be required with a file. good luck, and feel free to ask any questions if necessary

helper
09/01/2018 at 01:35

@clementhempel did you successfully do that?

helper
09/01/2018 at 09:31

@emmsclaire No, @anris and i asked a lokal manufacturer to laser cut the parts out

helper
09/01/2018 at 22:33

Hello @masontomko !

As @clementhempel wrote, cutting the blades with an angle grinder is probably the cheapest way, but there is some work into it. Cutting these amount of 5-6mm steel is somewhat hard and takes some times, I was thinking on doing it, but then I joined the group order, because the price and time.

Still, when I have completed some projects (machines) and got more time on my hands I will try to cut the blade with an angle grinder.

helper
10/01/2018 at 09:10

@ashrak it would definitely require some skill, but cutting the straight parts with a cutoff wheel and grinding the rounder parts with a flap wheel would definitely be doable, especially if you have some lines to follow

warrior
10/01/2018 at 11:25

An angle grinder with a thin cut-off wheel is great for straight cuts in thick steel. But not so good for complicated shapes, and it would not be possible to cut the hexagonal hole with this method as it’s too small even for a worn-down disc. Also it’s not very pleasant to use an angle grinder for hours on end.

A method I have used in the past to cut curves and complex shapes, is to draw the outline on the steel, then use a bench drill to drill lots of small holes around the edge (you can use a hand drill but it’s much slower). Then just break away the excess or use a hacksaw to join the dots. You will still have some cleanup to do, but if you drill carefully a file is all you need to take it to the lines. Note that with stainless you won’t get through it with a regular drill, even a carbide one will chip and break after a number of holes.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪