We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

How do you wash your plastic?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Jose Rivolta 1 year ago.

Flo flo-2

How do you wash your plastic?

19/02/2017 at 21:13

Hello! As I’m beginning to collect plastics myself now, I recently spent 10-15 minutes and too much water on washing and drying just 300g of HDPE. So I was wondering, if there is a better and easier way to do this. (Yes I have seen Dave’s video) 😉
How are you washing your plastics? Before or after shredding? By hand? in the Washing machine with cold water and no detergent? Please leave a reply and let me know what works best for you!

12 replies
0 subscribers
1 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes
helper
20/02/2017 at 02:26

one way it could be done effectively and efficiently is to keep the hand rotating perforated washing machine drum idea,
.. but have a flexable rubber door on it with an narrow hole to stick a Pressure washer nozzle in, that way the plastic gets blasted, and you use very little water.

then to dry, just stick a powerfull blow dryer near the washing machine drum while rotating by hand

warrior
29/11/2017 at 10:10

@flo-2, should we design the machine then? lets say for v4

dedicated
21/01/2018 at 14:21

Hi @kettlekekkers
Do you have pictures or videos of your solution…
If @jegor-m or @flo-2 want to propose a machine for v4 it will be helpful 😀
See you
DiB

starter
21/01/2018 at 20:13

This is the most important part of the question (for me): Wash before or after shredding?

Before: You can wash and then select the type of plastic in order to store. Some parts may NOT wash propertly (p.e. a closed bottle, or a tiny piece). It’s more difficult to fully dry.

After: You will wash it propertly, but it is complex as you have to wash them in groups (by color, by type of plastic, etc).

So, my question: Before or after Shredding? In industrial size, in order to wash I would have a big recipient full of water + chemical [detergent] and a slow but continuous movement (with a rotating propeller/helix).

After X time (to determine according the detergent used, the movement and the source of the plastic) I would take the plastic to another container where I would apply centrifugal force.

It’s done, plastic clean and dry.

(Sorry for my english)

starter
22/01/2018 at 08:59

Hi Flo,

For washing my plastic, I use a bucket in which I let the plastic soak with detergent often over night because I have small batches. I then let them dry all day on a towel that is on top of the bin I throw them in when I’m done.

When I’m ready to shred, I do so.

Otherwise, little by little I let everything creep up while working on new design ideas and projects.

Hope it helped.

Lélé

Sorry for no pics

helper
23/01/2018 at 15:58

This is a good topic, I know there is at least one more topic about this somewhere. I am all in for helping develop a washer..

Oldstyle handdriven washer 😀

Attachments:
dedicated
23/01/2018 at 18:52

I think that washing the plastic cannot be generalized. If you have for example a bottle of mayonnaise, you would need to add soap to get the grease off, or maybe you could shred a shampoo bottle with it and wash it together 😉
Other products would just need a quick rinsing.
An old washing machine (if you have the place) is a good beginning, but that supposes the use of some kind of washing bags. Like that, you can even wash several colors or materiels in one machine.

starter
23/01/2018 at 19:55

sonik, I am a newbie, but I think if there are lots of sources where the plastic can come from, It’s a waste of time and money to select the ‘type of dirt’ and where to clean. Not only water, but also soap/detergent is needed in every process of cleaning.

But I am still with my previous question: What comes first, the cleaning or the shredding? (It’s like the chicken or the egg).

Thank you All,
José

dedicated
23/01/2018 at 21:35

I think its clear that plastic needs to be shredded to be washed. How would water come inside the bottle?
I do not agree that you must use soap/whatever. Think about shampoo bottles, the soap is already integrated. You have all kinds of boxes and containers, which were never filled with food, greasy stuff, Why pollute the environment when it is not needed?

starter
23/01/2018 at 23:56

Wow, I did not think of that, in fact I thought for sure It was something we needed. Alright, bare ambient temperature water then? Or hot water would be helpful?

Thank you sonik,
José

P.S: Then, only by staying in the water for some hours and a little bit of movement (like the picture of the ancient method posted above) its fine?

dedicated
24/01/2018 at 11:07

In a washing machine, the plastic pieces would also rub against each other because of the turning drum. Which makes cleaning more efficient. And i think that cold water would be probably enough for most cases. Power Consumption should be a concern for all of us!

starter
24/01/2018 at 11:43

Truly happy for the news, as I said, I always thought that it would be much more difficult. Thank you very much sonik.

José

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.