We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

How much did your machine cost?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 33 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  mariela rangelova petrova 2 years ago.

Hunter shortyjenkins

How much did your machine cost?

22/08/2016 at 02:07

Just out of curiosity, how much money do you have in each of your machines? I know the answers will vary from person to person due to skills / already having certain materials on hand. But I was wondering what was the general “starting costs” involved with making each of the machines.

33 replies
1 subscribers
2 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes
hero
22/08/2016 at 08:58

The cost differs a lot depending on many factors. Some people can find the motors very cheap, others can find them for free, others have to pay a lot for them.
Just to give you some raw numbers, I have spent more than $1000 on the shredder and it’s still a work in progress.

warrior
23/08/2016 at 11:06

Wow that is quite a sum amount @xxxolivierxxx, what makes it so expensive? Maybe we should start sending kits with the most complex parts. It shouldn’t be that expensive.

@shortyjenkins, we added a rough indication on the website for each machine at “Machine Specs”

hero
23/08/2016 at 19:11

@davehakkens

Laser cut parts: $400
Hex Bar: $60
2 x UCFL204 20mm bearings: $40
Motor: $250
2 x Jaw Coupling and Elastomer Spider: $50
Plus nuts, screws, threaded rod, metal frame, hopper, sand paper, etc…

On my case, I cannot find many of these parts here in Costa Rica, so I had to buy them in US (amazon) and send them to my country, which means that I had to add an extra amount of money for shipping and taxes.
Also, I don’t have my own workshop or tools, so I had to purchase an angle grinder, a caliper, and several other tools just to get me started.

There are several topics around the forum from people who it trying to find others interested in making the machines, in that way they can try to get a laser cut company to cut the metal pieces for them in a bundle and get discounts.

If you wan’t to work on making kits with the parts needed for the shredder or extruder, you have all my support. I guarantee you that these kits will be a huge success around the community, and you can earn a few bucks in the process.

new
25/08/2016 at 14:31

I don’t see any link where can I place an order ? Any leeds….

hero
25/08/2016 at 20:04

@rudolflobo place an order for what?

new
25/08/2016 at 20:13

@xxxolivierxxx

The entire equipment or we have to build it self ?

hero
25/08/2016 at 20:17

@rudolflobo you have to build it yourself.
Dave Hakkens prepared a set of documents and cad files that allow you to build your own machines, but Precious Plastic does not sell the materials.

Download files here: https://preciousplastic.com/en/videos/download/

If you are interested on any of the projects and need clarification, feel free to submit a new post on the forum and the community will help you out.

new
22/09/2016 at 03:59

Hi, in the shredding laser files PDF revision A3 all the quantities for parts are 1. Is there a location I can find a newer revision of the PDF?

One more edit… A kit would be bada$$

Attachments:
hero
24/09/2016 at 10:55

@isuarez if you look closely, the file actually tells you how many pieces you need of each part. Also, if you look in the folders “Individual DXF Files” where the .dxf files are located, the name of each file indicates how many pieces you need as well (i.e: “5mm 13x 01.04.08 Fixed Knife big.dxf”)

Attachments:
helper
26/09/2016 at 20:08

@xxxolivierxxx i have one question on you . When you were working according Daves drawings was there totally everything to build shredder machine ? Im really sorry for so expensive parts. Its even bigger motivation for me to built Daves machines. Can i get contact on you ?

hero
27/09/2016 at 02:32

@hugonator no problem, ask as much as you want.
Yes, Dave’s drawings contains all the files you need for the shredder, nothing is missing.
When you decompress the file “precious-plastic-kit-master.zip” and follow the path “precious-plastic-kit-master\3. Build\Shredder\Blueprints\00_laser files” there are 3 folders named 3MM, 5MM and 6MM, those folders contain all the parts you need for the shredder, and the folder name indicates the thickness of metal needed.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to post them here and I’ll respond to them as soon as I can.

starter
03/10/2016 at 10:06

Hi! unfortunately here in Italy just the cost of laser parts is about 600 € .. I think for now abandon the project. If you were to produce a kit with parts to build the shredder will be ready to begin again!

starter
06/10/2016 at 12:47

I’m from italy and I’m building the shredder.

A friend of mine has the water cutting machine, he can prepare the pieces for 350 € (more or less) material and workhour.
in example i Bought the hex bar on the web for 26,20 € (shipping included).

Actually i think that totally it will cost to me 500 € roughly.

Feel free to contact me!
Thanks
M

new
15/10/2016 at 00:10

Hi,

I actually work in the Sheet Metal Laser cutting industry (Amada America).

If anybody would like to get in on a purchase, I can program an entire sheet full of parts and send it off to everyone.
I was planning on programming some parts for the shredder this weekend, but I can wait.

Of course I’d need reimbursement…

warrior
15/10/2016 at 01:45

hi @gruffalow. It would be great if you could add your company on this map you might have a few others in the region that are getting started. Either way thanks for offering help to others and make sure to share a picture here once the machine is ready 🙂

new
15/10/2016 at 07:52

Hi @davehakkens.

I’d love to add my company to the map, but unfortunately, my company isn’t a small shop to do small projects.
We’re the ones making the laser cutting machines haha.

I was actually going to source the job to one of our longtime vendors.
I’ll ask the owner of that shop if he’ll be okay with me posting his info on here.
I’m sure he’ll be fine with free advertising, but just in case.

new
12/11/2016 at 12:29

@davehakkens – thank you so much for your inventive actions for making the world more beautiful.

I’m starting a Zero Waste project in the north of Scotland and would like to include recycling/upcycling plastics using the Precious Plastics machines.

I am applying for funding for the whole ZW project. As I don’t personally have the skills to build the machines I will need to pay someone to make them. For the purpose of the application, I need a rough cost for the materials and how long it takes someone who knows what they’re doing to make the machines. Can you help?

I looked for the Machine Specs on the website, however, couldn’t find them.

warrior
14/11/2016 at 11:15

hi @labyrintista rough costs can be found on the website. But this is our estimate, you might be better of just looking around in the forums and see how much people spend on it. (depends a lot on where you are building it) Wish I could help out but already fully booked 🙁

helper
22/11/2016 at 21:17

@gruffalow I’m having a hard time finding a metal cutter. Any way you could get me in contact with somebody?

new
22/11/2016 at 22:13

@snowpoff

Hey, where are you located?

helper
23/11/2016 at 02:53

@gruffalow Illinois

new
23/11/2016 at 03:34

@snowpoff

Ah, you’re quite lucky to be in Illinois in terms of sheet metal.
There are quite a few locations.
The company I work for has a showroom in Schaumburg.
Which part of Illinois?

helper
23/11/2016 at 04:26

@gruffalow I’m down by Peoria. Sadly I’ve found lots of metal cutters but they don’t use metric steel thickness.

new
23/11/2016 at 06:56

@snowpoff

Oh neither do we.
Which is surprising since we’re a Japanese company that uses metric sizes…
So I converted everything to standard size.
3mm -> 11GA
5mm -> 3/16″
6mm -> 1/4″
I had to change the dimensions on a lot of parts b/c of this.

Unfortunately, I’ve only had time to convert the shredder. :S
I haven’t even had the time to make the modification/improvements yet argh!

helper
23/11/2016 at 20:14

@gruffalow That’s unfortunate. I’m gonna try to get metric parts but looks like I might have to use imperial measurements

hero
13/12/2016 at 19:17

@gruffalow
One of our forum members converted the shredder drawings to imperial units. No one have tested cutting a shredder with his drawings yet but theoretically, they should work just fine. More info here:
http://onearmy.world/community/forums/topic/plans-in-standard-units-not-metric/

helper
18/01/2017 at 04:04

@marcello Hi can i get a link for buying the hex bar. Thank you .

new
21/01/2017 at 17:27

@marcello
Hi Marcello,
can we comunicate by email? mine is [email protected].
I am planning to build one for a small island near Bali in Indonesia.
Tx.

helper
11/02/2017 at 10:06

Hi all,

Greetings from Greece. Reaching 200 euros to build seems impossible unless you have access to free CNC (universities or very well equipped maker spaces) and scrapyards cool like in NL.

we just had the cnc cutting on galvanised steel for 230 euros (VAT included).
I am sure if we go for more pieces we can reduce it so let me know if u need help.

Motor
Brand new italian motor with reducer costs 265 euros including shaft

As soon as we have all materials will come back with more info.

Best,
ALx

starter
14/02/2017 at 00:22

In my experience so far, I’ve noticed that finding a lot of the equipment and materials at the cost specified under the bill of materials is very difficult. Some parts are practically impossible to find all together in some countries. I’m currently living in Guatemala, and finding a used electric motor of 2kw with a reducing gear box that runs at around 70rpm for anything close to 30 euros is extremely difficult. To this day, I haven’t been able to do that. Unlike in The Netherlands, there isn’t a very organized scrapyard system here. Fortunately, I know somebody who managed to ship me an used oven for 200 quetzales, which is like 25 dollars. Buying the electronics for the Compression machine in Amazon cost around 40 dollars, and shipping fees included I payed around 70 dollars. I initially thought that my $640 dollar budget was going to be enough for all four machines, but now I’m aiming for just the Shredder and the Compression machines.

Viewing 30 replies - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪