We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

How Much Is Being Recycled

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Robert R Cook 2 months ago.

Moshe Levis leviseyes

How Much Is Being Recycled

08/07/2019 at 18:39

Hi there everyone,

I have a question about manufacturing from recycled plastics.

Anyone here have the experience in calculating how much recycled plastics are needed to mould a certain shape?

For example, how much shredded plastic do I need to make a 6″x6″x1″ square?

Working on an exciting project 🙂

Thank you and looking forward to hear from you all.

4 replies
2 subscribers
1 saved
warrior
08/07/2019 at 18:59

Each of the plastics has a density range. If you take a number at the high end times your volume you should have a ballpark number. If you plan to use compression there will be squeeze out depending on your mold design. For injection there will be some minor allocation for the sprue.

starter
11/08/2019 at 19:31

@s2019
Do you know what these density ranges are for each type of plastic?
I have an idea I am working on to tackle the issues with recycling mixed plastic. I feel like the answer lies in the plastics density.
As we know temperature and pressure affects density. Centrifuges are used to alter pressure and separate liquids/solids according to their density.
I have a topic in the community forum about this already titled Oceanic Garbage Patch, link provided at bottom hof this reply, any help/advice anyone may be able to provide is fully welcomed and appreciated.

Oceanic Garbage Patch

warrior
11/08/2019 at 21:47

If you google HDPE density or properties for example, you will get a range of 930 to 970 kg/m^3 so it should float even in fresh water. When I’m washing plant pots (HDPE) for recycling, some float, some don’t. It may be residual dirt or additives.

There are threads on sorting plastics by density. For solids, density does not vary strongly enough with temperature or pressure to make it a worthwhile discriminant I don’t think. There is a thread in the V4 area https://davehakkens.nl/community/forums/topic/sorting-plastic-with-robotics-v4/ on using Raman effect for sorting plastic but there has not been an update in 3 months so it may be abandoned.

For the garbage patch issue, I think a good percentage is fishing nets which should be relatively easy to collect and identify. For the rest, there are some programs out there for robotic clean up (google ocean plastic robot) but they appear to be in very much concept stage. Not sure how you collect the small stuff.

starter
11/08/2019 at 22:14

Thank you so much for reply, the info on the robotics is super exciting!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪