We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

How should I go about choosing a motor?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  mc007 6 days ago.

Tanner wolfden99

How should I go about choosing a motor?

13/09/2018 at 14:09

Hey there, recently I’ve been having trouble finding the right motor for my extruder machine and was wondering what you people might suggest. So far I’ve outlined that I need a 60-70 RPM gear reduction motor with a torque of at least 6-7 Kg*cm.

I’ve found a couple of motors that seem to fit this description, but I want to verify that they will work before I purchase them.
Motor option 1
Motor option 2

Thanks for any help in advance!

5 replies
1 subscribers
0 saved
starter
13/09/2018 at 20:18

@sonik Thanks for your reply I think i’ll go with the one you suggested. I’m fairly new to building machines in general and was getting a little confused by all of the options and specifications motors can have.

Thanks for the help!

helper
13/09/2018 at 20:47

Attention, the link is not the motor i have, this is a 12V Motor with 6 Amps = 72Watts, mine has the double power (24V,6A) and i would say that is the absolute minimum for the extruder, and still, i would not be surprised when i burn it.

dedicated
13/09/2018 at 21:31

@wolfden99 if soniks motor seems too hot, just apply basic machine building principles : always use 3 time the power rating you actually need 🙂

i was always curious why DH never published the motor details for the extrusion as he said in the video but we think 500 – 750 W is rather the safe side (with 1:20 reduction), depends of course on the quality of the screw and the barrely. the wood screw is unlikely to wear out (it’s extreme hardened), but the barrel does, and if it does, you will have a significant clearances between barrel and screw which in return requires more power because of the plastic film created in there. the last screws (Chromoly, industrial design) i did maintain recently had up to 0.2 wear out and drawn amps also increased by 40%.

anyways, good luck and lets us know how it went 🙂

dedicated
15/09/2018 at 00:55

washing machines have usually a nice and large pulley, if you find another smaller one (min. 7 cm diameter), you could increase torque significantly….

Attachments:
Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.