We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

How to get the URL to a specific forum reply

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Donald Hugens 4 days ago.

Frederik Conradie frederikc

13/06/2019 at 09:53

Hello.
How do I get the URL for a specific reply to a forum topic, so that I can copy-and-paste it into a post and send someone to the right place?
Thanks.

12 replies
2 subscribers
0 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes
warrior
13/06/2019 at 10:10

@frederikc

Do you mean a link like this:
(select text, press insert link icon, copy title of topic, wait for the link to show up and press apply)
Or really a link to a specific reply in a topic?

To link to a reply of your own, you can get it in your profile (or the profile of the author of the reply) under ‘activity->replies’.
It’s the link in blue to the top-right of the reply.

Directly from topic is a lot harder to do but can be done!
Look in the page source for the reply ID, like:
post-143968“>
Now ‘hack the URL of the topic:
https://davehakkens.nl/community/forums/topic/can-de-plastic-filament-be-use-for-3d-printers/#post-143968

I hope this helps 😉

warrior
13/06/2019 at 10:19

P.S.
If the reply is not on the first page of the topic, add the pagenumber to the URL:

https://davehakkens.nl/community/forums/topic/can-de-plastic-filament-be-use-for-3d-printers/page/1/#post-143968

starter
13/06/2019 at 10:59

Thanks @donald
I’ll give it a try.
A “quote” and “copy link” button is on my list of feature requests for One Army. 🙂

warrior
13/06/2019 at 11:02

@frederikc

It’s not just on your list 😉

starter
13/06/2019 at 11:34

Hi guys, and thank you for the explanation Donald, but can you be more specific about that, please :

(select text, press insert link icon, copy title of topic, wait for the link to show up and press apply)

🙂

warrior
13/06/2019 at 12:31

@pindrix

Something like this?

(click on the image to see the whole flow)

Attachments:
starter
13/06/2019 at 12:47

Excuse me Donald, I must be a moron 😉 , but after “select text”, you have to “copy” text in reply field, isn’t it ?

And if you copy the title of the topic, the link generated will point the topic, and not the reply, am I wrong ?

warrior
13/06/2019 at 13:08

@pindix

All of this is happening in and around the reply field.

After clicking on the insert link button you get kind of a pop-up ‘text’ field, in which you paste/type the topic tittle to which you want the selected text to link.

You can also link to external websites by pasting the URL of said website in the textfield.
It says so once you click the link icon (just try it).
It also has advanced feautures.
And remember, if you do not get it right the first time, you can always go back and ‘edit’ your post/reply to fix it.

And yes, the link will point to the topic in general.

If you want to link to a reply, it is officially not possible, unless you ‘hack’ the URL as described.

Not ideal, but it’s a workaround.

starter
13/06/2019 at 13:40

I got it Donald !

Thank you for your patience. Just a last thing, where to find the reply number in the source code, like “#post-143968” in your example ? ( I won’t bother you any longer, I swear ^^ )

warrior
13/06/2019 at 14:01

Cedric @pindix

Not a problem.

Had to figure it out myself once too.
Unfortunately no @donald around yet to help 😉
(Using an ‘@’ in front of a username is always good practice, as the user then gets a notification)

I use Safari, and I usually just right-click on the ‘like’ button and say ‘inspect element’ to get near the right position in the source code.
Most browser have something similar,

Image below shows the post-id in the code. It’s part of the <div> containers id-attribute.

Attachments:
starter
13/06/2019 at 14:54

Once the page source is open you can also do a “Find in page” text search for: <div id=”post-
Most browsers probably have this feature as well.
“Worst case scenario”: Copy-and-paste the whole source to a text editor and do the search with it instead.

warrior
13/06/2019 at 15:05

@frederikc
Worst case scenario would be PM-ing you asking what the link to a reply is 😉

I always love the “No, can’t be done, unless…’ answers!

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.