We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

i want to use burning gas in place of electricty

• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Nick.
maltiti maltiti

i want to use burning gas in place of electricty

12/12/2018 at 23:52

The community where I intern setting up my workshop has limited supply of electricity, I planned using burning gas in the melting process but how to build the machine is a hard question to me, how do I solve this problem? any suggestions?

4 replies
2 subscribers
0 saved
1 likes
sort on date
helper
24/12/2018 at 01:01

I’ve thought about this and plan to build a large gas-fired oven for my compression moulding project. You can get some inspiration here: https://www.powdercoatingforum.net/forum/ovens-and-booths/2877-my-propane-fired-oven-build

I’ll be making a lot of changes to it, and will eventually want to heat it with a rocket stove.

The suggestion by @brettc for using oil would work as well, and is probably better suited to injection and extrusion, where you could run pipes of hot oil along the cylinder. Obviously some oils would be more appropriate than others – you’d have to find ones with high smoke point, high heat transfer coefficient, etc…

starter
21/12/2018 at 05:17

What about using the gas to head oil then piping the hot oil through/around the area that needs heating.  Controlling oil temp would be easier than a direct flame as you would heat a reservoir of oil.  An engine oil pump should be easy and cheap to get.  An oven could even use a heat exchanger as an element.

helper
21/12/2018 at 03:57

I’ve put a little thought in to this, but with little tangible progress so far.  Hoping to get to it this in the coming months….

the idea is to use something like a simple indirect flame oven like the ‘butterfly camping oven’ for coarse tuned heating with a variable speed fan that meters in fresh air for fine tuned heating.
I’m assuming it’s going to need a lot of mass (firebrick, cob, etc)  to ease the wild temperature swings – it would take much longer to get to temperature, so I expect it’s something to run when in production mode only

would love to hear if anyone else has had similar thoughts

starter
20/12/2018 at 23:20

A gas oven?  Temperature control will be harder and plastic smoke is flammable, so very risky.

LPG generator?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪