We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Induction hot plate for use with simple molds

Garnet Emma Bugbee garnet

Induction hot plate for use with simple molds

29/07/2018 at 00:30

So I had an idea for making a small sheet of plastic, using old cd’s. Make a mold with a flat bottom, like the one in the jewelry video. Then could you set it on a portable induction heating element and just turn it to 220? You could also add a twist clamp to the top part to compress it.. What do people think?

Attachments:
3 replies
2 subscribers
0 saved
1 likes
sort on date
helper
29/07/2018 at 01:02

Hi @garnet !
Yes, I think it could be a very cool idea, because a lot of person want to get started recycling plastic, but machines still hard to build for a lot of person.
So yes it could be a good idea but I don’t know if it is possible for few reasons. We need to use an induction compatible mold, but it’s probably easy to make one. Also, I’m not sure that you can reach 260/270°C, PET plastic need it but we can say that you’ll not recycle PET ^^
At last, the worst problem, with most of induction plates you can’t set a precise temperature.

starter
29/07/2018 at 01:07

I always thought that was one of the best things about induction, how precise you can be with temperature. Like within 5 degrees, and the mold should work as long as it’s steel?

helper
29/07/2018 at 22:17

Maybe but not for induction plate that we have. Personally on my plate I’ve the choice between the value 1 and 9. I don’t know if it match to a precise temperature.
I don’t really know how the induction work but yes maybe steel work.

Did you ever try this way ?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪