We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Infinite energy by grass and fire

Tagged: , , ,

Ryoma Kamei recyclenagajakartainterculturalschool

Infinite energy by grass and fire

09/03/2020 at 17:11

Ok. This is a really big idea, and I don’t know if it works, but I will share it with this community. So, if you put some grass or small plants and a candle with fire in a jar or something, CO2 and O2 will be exchanged continuously, and don’t we have infinite energy? I don’t know but if we put a generator to create electricity? This is like building small earth on earth just to get energy. But here are some problems/questions I can think of:
•I have to add wax to keep the fire
•How much grass/plants do we need for a fire?
•Is it possible? I have heard about the law of Thermodynamics but I don’t remember… can someone remind me?
•Do we even need this? This will not make a lot of energy, it is just a sustainable way of creating energy.
…please feel free to break my dream, I am happy with it. I appreciate your replies!

Attachments:
6 replies
2 subscribers
0 saved
1 likes
sort on date
starter
09/03/2020 at 19:38

Well my first thought is that the fire takes up oxygen at a significantly higher rate than plants can resupply it with, so one would have to have a large amount of plants to supply one small fire with oxygen.
Regarding if it is possible, eh. The first law of thermodynamics, as you briefly mentioned, is “energy cannot be created or destroyed in an isolated system”. There is not infinite energy like you said, however energy would be transferred/moved. The issue that is brought up is that it is not a closed system. The introduction of more wax/replacement of the candle makes it so, and I’m sure the need to water the plants would as well.
The only reasoning I would see in this instead of using a normal fire outside is to reduce pollution outside. I am also not sure how this could be used to produce energy, since technically if the plant/fire ratio were right, it would only break even. Once you take into account the fact that you are continuously bringing more water and wax into the system you are putting more into it.
The overall idea of perpetual motion machines is interesting but not really realistic. If we were in a world without resistance and friction they would totally be possible, however that is not the case. Energy is lost during motion to friction in bearings, air resistance, etc.
Not really a possible idea, however I love the effort you put into the concept and your enthusiasm for the idea itself and to hear what other people think – positive or negative.

helper
11/03/2020 at 05:32

An old interesting toy from Japan… only needs water, so not perpetual… but just for fun:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7S-9UghcAs
Not suitable for generating electricity because it has low power, but fun to research!

helper
10/03/2020 at 08:12

Kind of scary, but very interesting!!!
You made my day!!!
“The important thing is to never stop questioning”-Albert Einstein
This is one of my favourite quotes before I even started learning English

starter
10/03/2020 at 08:05

I am assuming you are asking about the Earth regarding its motion in the solar system. When you look at it in our lifetimes, Earth and other planets definitely seem to have perpetual motion. However, it is important to note that our lifetimes in relation to everything out there is so insignificant we will never be able to witness really any astrological events in the universe. Not only our lifetimes but during the existence of the human race itself.
The reason the Earth’s orbit is not perpetual (at least one of the reasons) is because the sun, which is keeping us in orbit, is actually losing energy. Humans will never witness this but in about 5 billion years the sun will run out of fuel and enter a “red giant” phase, aka the sun will begin to die. It is because of this loss of energy that it is not perpetual.
The energy loss in the sun is constant, and when it loses energy it loses mass, and due to mass affecting gravitational pull, the Earth actually moves about 1.6 centimeters away from the sun every year (crazy how we can measure that!). In addition, Earth’s orbit and rotation are slowing down (extremely slowly, however).
While a fun concept, there has been nothing found in the universe that supports perpetual motion. Perpetual means never-ending, and that itself has been found to not be possible.
I’m just an undergrad in college, and this is not my subject area at all, but I had a lot of fun looking into this a bit.

helper
10/03/2020 at 07:26

Thank you for the reply btpound, I really liked it! This topic and your reply have made a great learning opportunity for the school-closure holiday… I like to think about these things when I am bored.

Also, is the earth perpetual? I hope???

helper
09/03/2020 at 17:35

P.S.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-QgGXbDyR0&t=3s
This is a Ted-ed video about a perpetual motion machine. It’s about 6 minutes long.
Also, aren’t we perpetual? just interested in these things

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪