We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Injection Machine

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Stan 1 month ago.

Rachel Crane racheyc05

Injection Machine

03/09/2019 at 08:57

Hi all,
My name is Rachel Crane and I am 15 years old. I am looking for information on the injection machine and where to get the parts to build it. As I am only 15, I do not yet have much knowledge in this area and would greatly appreciate any help.
I would also be interested in finding someone who is located near Brisbane, Australia, who I can purchase the machine from.

7 replies
1 subscribers
1 saved

In reply to: Injection Machine

warrior
04/09/2019 at 17:56

@racheyc05 , It is great to see your enthusiasm for recycling plastic. The injection machine is not complicated but does require some mechanical and fabrication skill to use it safely, fabricate molds, do some trouble shooting as needed. Nobody expects you to have all those at your age. In addition to finding someone to provide the machine, It would be great if you could find a partner/mentor that has experience in those areas to help make the experience rewarding, fun, and safe.

If you look on the PP map, there are a number of people in your area that have shown interest https://map.preciousplastic.com/

helper
05/09/2019 at 00:22

Hi Rachel,

I am in Darwin but happy to help you get started. I build the machines here, the injection machine being the simplest mechanically. I have listed injection machines in the Bazaar (MoreThanTencents) if you just want to buy outright, as well as molds but if you want to build your own I would be happy to offer support and help.

I do know of one guy on the Sunshine Coast (Chris Morrison are you here?) who is getting a space up and running and building their own machines but I am not sure how to tag him on this post 🙂 not sure how far along he is but check the map, he was on there and does respond to messages.

I don’t think your age makes any difference, it is a great project to start and it is not technically difficult but will take lots of trial and error to get what you want and that is all part of the adventure 🙂 go for it!

Attachments:

starter
06/09/2019 at 09:04

Thank you so much for your reply.
Do you think it would be more effective (both in cost and time) to purchase the machine off of you or to build it myself.
I am also wondering if you know of any places that can make custom moulds (to use to make phone cases).
Again, thank you so much for your reply.

Thanks,
Rachel

new
06/09/2019 at 16:42

@racheyc05, @morethantencents is right about. This machine is a good entry level training and the tools needed to make one are a good invest for the future (angle grinder : 40$, mig-welder: 200$ and a way to cut metal beams, a metal-band-saw : 200-300$). The metal saw is priceless to have, you could do it also with an angle grinder but you need to have good strength holding it properly. Stick welder is fine too but a needless PITA you never want to look back at when you have your first MIG welder. These tools and skills which you gain with them are essential and give you great flexibility throughout your entire PP life. Whilst at it, a drill-press (priceless), a solid bench and a vise. With that you’re set for most tasks. To mill the iphone case mold : you can check ‘3dhub’, possibly there is a provider near you.
Once done, consider you a PP pro, that will make your parents proud. Neighbors may pop up and give you little jobs, a matter of time you got the invest back that way 🙂
good and luck and enjoy 🙂

new
09/09/2019 at 04:09

If you are in Brisbane, check out The Edge at the State Library. They have a shredder and an injection machine available for the public. There is a meet-up this Saturday as well.
https://www.slq.qld.gov.au/whats-on/meetup-precious-plastics-september

helper
09/09/2019 at 11:00

Rachel, that is your call really. PPboys is right about what tools and skills you will need. You need to decide what is best for your situation. DIY will save money if you have the tools/skills but could end up costing a lot more if you have to set up a workshop first.

I can supply custom molds if you have the cad/design files, to a max depth of 20mm

My email if you need more info is [email protected].

warrior
09/09/2019 at 17:51

@racheyc05 , I would definitely go check out the machine available in Brisbane and talk to some users. There are alternative designs https://davehakkens.nl/community/forums/topic/portable-desktop-injection-machine/ to the PP injection machine that can be easier/cheaper to build. They can also be easier to add a fume hood and vent to. If you are planning to use this indoors, you want to consider that.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪