We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Is anyone involved in Makerspaces or Hackerspaces?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Garrett Cadou 6 days ago.

mike kde5fan

Is anyone involved in Makerspaces or Hackerspaces?

24/03/2019 at 13:59

I know Makerspaces have been around for at least a decade or so and the one where I’m from is about 5+ years old and it has come a LONG way. I’m a new member and it looks very promising.  The space has most of what we see Dave using in his video’s, probably a good bit more equipment, but it sure doesn’t have the “scrap” equipment like the motors he keeps finding – now that would be nice to have that here.

Anyway, from what I have seen there are 1,000+ of these Makerspaces across the world and I would suggest anyone interested in building one of these shredders look into these.  I’m guessing you might find people willing to collaborate on building one, either for yourself or one for their shop or both.  They often have access to things like laser, water jet and plasma cutting, if not on-site, they probably have businesses they work with who might do it for reduced cost (they often work in partnership with Makerspaces).  On top of all of that, there might be the chance of getting inexpensive material from the Makerspace or partnered businesses, especially if it is scrap (small pieces they can’t use but large enough for your parts).

Finally, if there are no Makerspaces available, you might want to search for Hackerspaces which are arraigned similarly though they are more geared towards technology (computers, electronics and such) but I’ve seen ones that have a lot of equipment that could be useful in the construction of the shredder.  They might also be interested in partnering on a shredder and extruder (for filament) because a lot of these do a lot of 3d printing.  Makerspaces also do a lot of 3D printing, so they might be interested in filament extrudes as well.

5 replies
4 subscribers
1 saved
2 likes
sort on most likes
starter
23/04/2019 at 10:49

Hi

I’m hoping to be involed. But I’m on “Sqaure 0” of the game.
This is a highly under-developed sector in South Africa.
So, I’m just declaring my intention. I have nothing to report.

Regards
F.

starter
11/05/2019 at 01:29

Not sure if this helps but we have a small makerspace here in Creston BC Canada. the space is available to the public and if you have any questions let me know.

starter
11/05/2019 at 02:42

Good to know, @makedo

It’s always good to learn from others. Kind of the point of a community like this, right?

Regards
F.

helper
11/05/2019 at 10:08

I am not (yet) involved in existing Maker- or Hackerspaces, but I’m currently working on ways to get them (including, not limited to) financed in the Netherlands.

This is pretty ‘local’ expertise, as it involves Dutch laws and taxes (as in tax-deductable), but the concept might also translate to outside of the Netherlands.

It’s all very boring material (as is all accounting and law-yery stuff), but if anybody is interested, just send me a PM and maybe I can point you into the right direction.

Any Dutch makers and/or hackers interested can of course also PM me if it does NOT involve the boring stuff 😉

starter
16/05/2019 at 05:29

I’m involved with a group called the Suncoast Makers here in Sarasota, FL. Its a group of retired and active engineers, IT pros, draftsman, designer, etc that meet every Thursday at the Faulhaber Fab Lab. We are seeking our own open Makerspace as well for the dirtier projects people want to try, the Fab Lab is mostly a clean space.

I recommend everyone who wants to get involved with the Precious Plastic project get activated with the local maker/tinkering/builder group. Try searching on Facebook or Meetup.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.