We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Is there any forum help? Can an image be inserted

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  George 2 months ago.

George geonoregon

Is there any forum help? Can an image be inserted

19/04/2019 at 04:17

into a new thread?

Where do the images show up when you upload them?

THanks

4 replies
1 subscribers
0 saved
new
19/04/2019 at 07:34

It looks like they end up at the bottom, just as seen when you fill out the form. I had intended to embed the images with the text in my article.

starter
19/04/2019 at 14:34

yeah, that’s a major issue with the forum software but maybe also too low interface guidelines / restrictions set in place by the creator of the forum.

however, that are your options :

– put the text in the picture, but that also locks out localization of your article
– write the main article and keep adding new posts per picture
– write an email to precious plastic complain department (i am kidding), they should have enough man power by now to fix this issue quickly

starter
19/04/2019 at 14:45

you can also put your article on another platform which has this very essential authoring features (and more) and then you link it here just. it may make sense to use stackedit.io which can publish your article on multiple platforms, that way others can improve, localize your article the right away. it’s hard to say what happens to this forum here at all. PP announced to ‘kill our forums’ so better you have a safe place to share your thoughts and creation…

starter
20/04/2019 at 00:25

@independent
@pporg

Thanks for the input. I started writing a reply an hour, or more, ago, and just ended up writing a tome.

@ind:  I was afraid the images would stay at the bottom. I started a reply to an article about homemade shredder blades, which, like the reply I was writing to you,  turned into a huge post.

The good thing, is it was because of a new inspiration for re-purposing a table saw as the base, and the basis of a PP shredder. I was about too ask if anyone had tried dado spacer blades as shredder blades. Same shape, bit smaller, but carbide tipped.  As I was writing, I got the table saw idea, and wanted to post it here, to see if anyone wanted to try it.  Cost is the biggest knock I have on the PP shredder designs, on the Internet.

Most people aren’t going to make money of the PP they re-melt. If there was a grading service, and a place to sell the ‘bricked’ plastics, for makers, that would be a different thing.

I watched our forum host’s video on YouTube, and while it’s a great design, it is priced out of the range of non-revenue shredders & melters.

@PPorg
I usually post my articles on a portion of my wife’s website, but it’s down right now. Figured I’d just have it loaded redundantly, once my flaky sys admin gets off her butt and fixes it.  That topic is what sidetracked me, originally; telling a story about her being my web host sys admin, which got me further into her spoiling me: she LIKES tools, and works at a huge US industrial supplier, so I get to buy toys for my shop, at employee pricing, cost +10%.

The hidden benefit of the employee pricing is we have to look up the costs, to fill out the purchase orders, and when you get a ‘lifetime’ supply of fastener for your 65th birthday, SHCS, FHCS, and BHCS, fractional and metric, and all of them order by the box of 100. It is a LOT of paperwork.  A lot.  But I don’t mind, because the knowledge of the cost of a big company, is helpful for me, in the Internet marketplace.  Amazingly, surprisingly, helpful.

Look forward to getting to know some people on here.  This is what I like to do. I think I put it in my profile, I should check, but I have a very complete fab shop.  I used to say I have a cabinet shop, and a machine shop, minus a mill, but I’m looking for a mill.

The shop has grown, in capabilities; I like to build shop equipment and tools, incorporating re-purposing, and using obsolete parts, especially if there’s a still a lot of the item sitting on a shelf.  If some likes my open source idea, maybe some of the stored, but obsolete ‘chunk of energy’, rotting away.  If we’re gonna extinct the human race, we might as well get our money’s worth!  Seriously, moving obsolete parts is another aspect of re-use, recycle, repurpose, mantra.

I have two vintage, (mid-1950’s ers), DeWalt 9″ Radial Arm saws I’ve refurbished, and re-purposed. One of each.  One is rebuilt, and my main wood and plastic saw, aluminum, as well, but the other also cuts aluminum.  I turned one of the cast iron beauties into a beam saw. I built an aluminum T-slot table, and a roller bearing anchor for the front of the radial arm.  I can lock it at any height in it’s range. The arm rides on ball bearings with concave half-circle grooves on the outer perimeter, scavenged from a CNC glass cutting machine, I helped scrap.

I also push the saw head, instead of pulling it. Given the rotation of the blade, CW, over the top, towards the user, when you pull a radial arm saw, the blade climbs the material, creating a vertical load on the arm.

By simoly pushing the saw, and solidly holding the material, as you would with a milling machine, hence the T-slot table, it cuts beautiful, steel, aluminum.

I still have plans to automate the saw, somewhat, I’d like to put a small CNC type servo motor on the saw head, to control the feed rate.  It needs a bit slower feed rate than the materials guides, but more importantly is consistentency.  I think that is a factor in the difference between manual, and CNC machine tools.

Inconsistency in feed rate cause accidents, and broken cutting tools.

Alright, I’m gonna shut up, and post my table saw idea.

Let me know what you think…

GeoD

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.