We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Is this a problem?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Devon1080 5 years ago.

lukefitz lukefitz

Is this a problem?

05/12/2014 at 20:08

A lot of people who have phones tend to drop their phone a lot.With Phonebloks, if you drop it would all the blocks stay in place? Or would they not be sturdy enough to withstand the drop?I think this question will come up whenever the phone gets more into development.

4 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved

In reply to: Is this a problem?

06/12/2014 at 17:20

It really depends on the securing mechanism. If it uses EPM’s like Ara does, it should be able to withstand short drops. I’d like to see what other people come up with as solutions to this issue.

starter
16/12/2014 at 10:11

very good question. I believe that the connection between modules will be quite strong. and also when I get my phonebloks phone I will be having a protective case on it for sure!

26/02/2015 at 05:51

Just covering it up with a rubbery backpanel will help keep parts in place.

26/02/2015 at 19:27

I was thinking real hard about how protective cases could be built since modules such as the camera will be placed according to users preference. This means no one case will fit all unless that case was to be made transparent so the camera can see through. It would be that or we could just have a fitting rubber strap run vertically along the edges of the device to keep modules from coming out if it should fall.The electropermanent magnets that keep Ara modules in place should be really strong, but there is a good possibility that modules will be disconnected from the endoskeleton if the device should fall from hand to a hard floor. Of course, nothing can be proven until the final device is shipped, but like every other smartphone these days, we eventually place them in a case for extra protection.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪