We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Is this possible with a Extrusion machine?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Andy Noyes 1 year ago.

Joey cobhlanger

Is this possible with a Extrusion machine?

30/11/2017 at 17:59

Hey lads quick question would the plastic from the Extrusion machine be strong enough to make something like this. All it will be holding is a stability ball.

Herself is a physio and will hopefully be opening a clinic soon and wants 12 made up if it’s possible I might put an ad in the bazar

Attachments:
11 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved
warrior
02/12/2017 at 01:44

I don’t see why not. The only mod required would be to replace the nozzle of the extruder with one with a very wide output

helper
02/12/2017 at 18:40

Thanks @xxxolivierxxx

dedicated
02/12/2017 at 19:35

@cobhlanger Well offcourse you are going to be able to make it, but if its the same size and thicness, it will most likely break.
You need to make it so that 2 “arms” (or more) are helping to carry it, and you will possibly need to make 2 thick lines next to each other to make it durable enough to hold the ball out in that exstended manner.

I made a visual, i hope that you can see from my drawing what i mean 🙂

Attachments:
helper
04/12/2017 at 18:46

Thanks @anris now if only i knew someone with an Extrusion machine

I might just try making a square frame using pressed straight bars made the same way as your candle holders. I’m sure I saw a video somewhere of a lad joining plastic using an old hair straightener

dedicated
04/12/2017 at 20:16

No problem @cobhlanger!
Seems like a super solid way to make it, with bars you wont have to fear for your plastic, as it becomes super strong.
Make some bars, weld them together and add a ring cut out of some plastic sheet.

Made one such ring yesterday (picture below)

The welding video you remember were somewhere on this topic:

Precious Plastic Denmark – Tealight Holders

Tried to paint the ballhangers in a bar/sheet style:

Attachments:
warrior
04/12/2017 at 20:31

Also, the ring by itself will keep the ball from rolling across the floor if it doesn’t have to go on the wall. I’ve seen gyms use rings like this to keep them in place. I’ve never seen them stored on a wall.

@anris That ring has a super nice patterning! It has an appearance similar to spalted beech, a wood highly prized by woodturners.

warrior
04/12/2017 at 20:38

Do you have any photos of the process of making that ring?

dedicated
04/12/2017 at 22:16

Thank you for the kind words @andyn !
I looked around for pictures, but didnt find any, as i have allredy done this before with other sheets.

Well, since i dont have a shredder, and i am usaly to lazy to cut up all the bottles and caps, i just stuffed everything into the oven. – Letting the heat from the oven do the work.

As everything sticks together, there’s usualy been created a bunch of air bubbles. So next step is to take the plastic dough out of the oven, and with some heatprotective gloves, you just twist all the air bubbles out, and while doing that, the plastic gets this kind of “spalted beech” pattern.

Last step is to place the plastic in a mold and clam it together till it cools.

Picture one
The plastic (for the colorfull sheet) in the oven, it has allrebeen twisted 1 or 2 times

Picture two
The mold used for the sheets

Picture three
Tried to recreate the sheet, and show other patterns uptaineble with the twisting. In the corner i added the black and white plastic as it was when it entered the oven.

Attachments:
helper
04/12/2017 at 22:26

@andyn usually places tight for space would use the space up high to store the balls as their quite bulky.

Love your drawings @anris. What are ya using to press the mould? A G clamp? Do they need much pressure?

warrior
05/12/2017 at 01:20

@anris Thanks for sharing the method. It’s similar to how damascus steel is made. Perhaps with more folding and twisting you could achieve similar results. But I also like the spalted beech pattern!

warrior
05/12/2017 at 01:23

For those not familiar with spalted beech, this is what it looks like:

Attachments:
Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪