We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Kamp-ers Library

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Donald Hugens 13 hours ago.

Donald Hugens donald

Kamp-ers Library

06/05/2019 at 16:01

Call me old fashioned, but I like me a good book.

There is a lot of great literature out there on the interweb that might be useful or at least inspiring for anybody considering the, or a, project Kamp.

Let’s start a library in a simple format:

Title” by author

link to (legal) website with downloadable/online readable book

Description: Short description of what it is about

Why?: Personal note why you think it is a good read.

Or just go nuts 0:-)

A simple format however would be easier to copy and paste for other uses (like me compiling a list).

I’ll start:

The Moneyless Manifesto” by Mark Boyle

ii. Foreword by Charles Eisenstein

description: “Mark Boyle demystifies money and the system that binds us to it, he also explains how liberating, easy and enjoyable it is to live with less of it.”

Why?: You might not agree with all of it (I know I don’t), but it’s an undeniable proof of concept the world does not end when money runs out.

T.A.Z.: The Temporary Autonomous Zone” by Hakim Bey
https://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/hakim-bey-t-a-z-the-temporary-autonomous-zone-ontological-anarchy-poetic-terrorism

description: “The book describes the socio-political tactic of creating temporary spaces that elude formal structures of control.”
Why?: There’s a lot of rules. Learn to read between the lines…

Free Culture” by Lawrence Lessig
http://www.free-culture.cc/freecontent/

description: “how creative work builds on the past and how society encourages or inhibits that building with laws and technologies”

Why?: Information = Language = Freedom of Speech. Ever heard of the ‘Creative Commons (CC)’, well this is one of the books that started it. Copyrights are by definition owned. This is how you can set them free (if you love them).

Please Add and reply to this topic.

I can add many more books, but I don’t just want to be noise…

P.S. P.M. me if you think it would be a good idea to start a library like this in/on other topics as well

P.S.2 Friend me if you want to start a book club 😉

9 replies
3 subscribers
0 saved
3 likes
sort on most likes

In reply to: Kamp-ers Library

warrior
06/05/2019 at 17:09

just some input on the template: category is missing, and this sort of library/document is better off as GIST or if you like it a little more modern, in the ‘awesome this and that‘ way, hosted on github, enabling others outside of PP to add their 2 cents. @mattia or @davehakkens should be able to add a wordpress – buddy-press plugin (2-way) to display the content here.

helper
06/05/2019 at 17:39

Well…

it is off course a topic started in the ‘Project Kamp’ forum, which might resemble a category to some sort…

And regarding GIST/Github: I know micro$oft would love to manage this infomation, but if you read the books I listed, you might realize this might not be the best of ideas…

Unless you can of course list a book that proofs me wrong, which I would love to read!

Thanks for your input though.

I am off course fresh to the community, and as such maybe too reliant on carrying my own weight, but I’m sure your tags will trigger the right response on getting this going!

warrior
06/05/2019 at 17:49

right, thank you too. btw. don’t bother, there are also many if not more people (incl. us) thinking that Github has with MS$$ a pretty good care taker 🙂 with $$ things usually go faster and better; that’s also my personal and professional opinion, some good and stable income to make cool projects happening .. Btw. I had some takedowns on Github but it was always about exploits and leaks only and copyright stuff.

helper
06/05/2019 at 18:24

True, but you kind of make my point.

This library contains books that are aimed at a counter-$$$ philosophy (‘moneyless manifesto’) and a more ‘information should be free’ approach “Free Culture” from the very start.

This is also why THIS is the ‘project-kamp’ library setup.

I also have a lot of ‘how to profit from free stuff’ books, but those I’ll list in an other, more appropriate topic, if there is an interest on this website.

My problem is not with m$ (hey, THEY registered their name, and made it so I can’t freely use it whenever I make an arguments, so I have to be ‘parodical’ to avoid a lawsuit when mentioning them), but with the problem they have with these books.

Their definition of copyrights is different from CC’s, copyleft’s, and I dare even say PP’s definition, so best leave them out of it, that’s why.

I’m also not gonna discuss the ‘Freedom of Religion’ issue on the Pope’s fanpage, unless it is my intention to stir up a storm (or to get misquoted in/for their propaganda).

Again, I appreciate what you are trying, but please counter with an on topic book recommendation, or you’ll just be trolling a free speech library…

I love a good conversation/discussion, anytime, but let us not ruin the forum.

You have got my P.M.

lu
helper
16/05/2019 at 16:03

@donald, I think that the ‘category’ @pporg said was missing was a ‘category’ on the books themselves.

Regarding Github: what is the fear/danger in adding another public list of books that are already listed in countless other websites and available in bookstores? I can understand hesitating to share confidential info in a public location, owned by a company you distrust, but this is hardly the case.
Lists made in this forum are totally useless as they are are ‘unorganized’ text.
Imho, this whole forum is a fairly wasteful way of sharing info.  It’s sort of ok to have asynchronous discussions. But not for info.

warrior
16/05/2019 at 17:15

@lu, we’re working on it; currently there is some effort to extract all ‘trust’ nad ‘worthy’ infos from the forum into a directory, will take some time ..

helper
18/05/2019 at 09:34

@lu You are right, and this topic was kind of my way of testing the waters.

Working with @pporg on a library system of my/our own as a result of this.

Re: Github – There is an information war going on. Big data companies are trying to monopolise data for the exclusive feeding of their A.I.’s.

Google tried this with ALL libraries, Microsoft bought Github etc.

They appear to be helping in making information available for all, this is however only a ruse to get your data for their ‘world domination’ plans, and I’m not even kidding(!).

Even simple capcha’s are teaching tools (Google) for A.I. Facebook -> A.I. (microsoft again) etc. etc.

I am not against A.I. not even their future ‘world dommination’, but I am against monopolies on Data (information should be free, as in speech).

And only one way to keep information free: DIY and gitgoing as soon as you’re platform gits owned.

Anyone know who owns WordPress at the moment?

lu
helper
19/05/2019 at 15:29

@donald
BigData companies will use as much of the www as they can to train their AIs!
Is there any place in www where you think it is safe to store info?
No clue who owns WordPress. Who?

@donald & @pporg: where are you hosting that directory? Is it just a ‘library’ or does it contain all useful info on PP?

helper
19/05/2019 at 16:16

@lu  I don’t want the data to be hidden, I want it to be public. That’s what I meant when I said “I am against monopolies on Data (information should be free, as in speech).”

Publishing on an ‘owned’ platform will give the owner (of the platform) the power to limit access, so you’ll either have to publish on all platforms (a lot of work) or on a ‘free’ platform, if such a thing still exists.

The directory/library does not yet exist, we are still designing it. It will however be setup in such a way as to also include useful PP info, in a way that compliments the existing forum(s).

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.