We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Let’s start a talk about the OS

This topic contains 303 replies, has 125 voices, and was last updated by  TechMarq 5 years ago.

Majeh majeh

Let’s start a talk about the OS

01/12/2013 at 20:40

A revolutionary smartphone like Phonebloks needs an open operating system.Should Phonebloks get a brand-new OS or use Windows / Android?EDIT: Guys,i heard a lot of good suggestions on the operating system phonebloks should have,and i thank you for that.I believe that Phonebloks should have Android preinstalled,because Android is the biggest OS for mobile devices.Also,Android has a lot of cool functions(see here: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/android-surprising-uses,24047.html ).Damn,why would we need a mobile version of Linux when a good Android-powered device (like S4,Nexus 7… and maybe Phonebloks ) can run a desktop version of Ubuntu?In my opinion , Android is the best option for Phonebloks.

303 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved
raf
05/12/2013 at 23:06

I would propose using ubuntu phone … better interface gropingalmost everything in the same place by default. and most ubuntu developers share our vision …

06/12/2013 at 02:28

+1 for Ubuntu Touch. Convergence! 😀

06/12/2013 at 04:41

Android. It’s just a linux derivitive. Why complicate things by trying to reinvent the wheel when it’s not needed. Google is pretty free with letting people use Android. Windows and iOS are right out, though.

06/12/2013 at 05:05

I think that the user should be able to set a OS when the phone is purchased for example: Windows, IOS, Android, Linux, Ubuntu, but with a Cydia style app store where tweaks can be downloaded in order to better customize your phone.

06/12/2013 at 05:25

MaddMaxx21 wrote: I think that the user should be able to set a OS when the phone is purchased for example: Windows, IOS, Android, Linux, Ubuntu, but with a Cydia style app store where tweaks can be downloaded in order to better customize your phone. I really like this idea, selectable OS would be really cool but hard to work with. There would need to be a lot of phoneblok updates for each OS because I doubt apple would help us out by including bug fixes for the phoneblok aswell, if you get what I mean.

06/12/2013 at 11:29

RAF wrote: I would propose using ubuntu phone … better interface gropingalmost everything in the same place by default. and most ubuntu developers share our vision … Good idea!

06/12/2013 at 11:30

richardson wrote: Android. It’s just a linux derivitive. Why complicate things by trying to reinvent the wheel when it’s not needed. Google is pretty free with letting people use Android. Windows and iOS are right out, though. My thought exactly.

06/12/2013 at 11:50

I think since PhoneBloks are working with Motorola and Google owns Motorola it would be best for the users and most practical to use Android as the operating system.

06/12/2013 at 13:29

i think the best idea is to sell it blank. don’t force people to use an operating system. this is revolutionary tech. let all the developers have a crack at it. It’s a pocket modular friggin computer for crying out loud. i personally would like to start the system up for the first time and see the old familiar “i don’t know what the f*** to do” blinking cursor from the good old days or early computing. Make it the users choice and responsibility to choose and maintain their OS. People would get a lot smarter and a lot more cautious with their “Phones” then

06/12/2013 at 15:37

JamesLima wrote: i think the best idea is to sell it blank. don’t force people to use an operating system. I like that idea. Nevertheless many people like to buy a phone and immidiatle run it, not knowing much about operating systems and how to install them. There should be an initial OS on it, with the option to change it later.In my opinion either Ubuntu or Android. I’d prefer Ubuntu.

06/12/2013 at 18:25

of course there would be preassembled model for people that wouldn’t want to get into the technicalities of it, carrier phones that have OS’s preinstalled for the sheeple. But leave the firmware free. Let the masses do with the technology what they will. This technology begs to remain free of the preinstalled culture microsoft started so many years ago. This is the revival of the personal computer.

06/12/2013 at 18:35

richardson wrote: Android. It’s just a linux derivitive… Kind of. It uses the Linux kernel, but is not based on the GNU operating system, which is what most people mean when they call something a “Linux” OS. (OS != Kernel)I too would prefer to receive a completely blank phone. No matter what it ends up coming with, I’ll probably install Ubuntu instead.

06/12/2013 at 20:33

i think once carriers start getting chip options, they’ll bundle carrier chip and os w/ bloatware chips. but the rest of the phone will be users choice

06/12/2013 at 23:07

I think its best to have a choice of Pre-Installed different systems on different bloks, like a 16GB Blok with Android, A 16GB Blok with Windows Phone? Or something like that would be good, right?

07/12/2013 at 08:32

I think that the phone should come with a very user friendly operating system and then if users want they can instal other operating systems or make their own.

07/12/2013 at 17:04

for the younger generation and as i would guess most people, you want it set up for you, or with just a short download for ready made OS’s and i think this should be on the actual page rather than a 3rd party website.

07/12/2013 at 23:10

Have you heard of the Raspberry pie ? They have multiple preconfigured OS and users can chose which one they want to use

08/12/2013 at 02:35

I like the idea of having the Storage Blok come with a preinstalled OS, making it easy to choose between different ones.Majeh wrote: … why would we need a mobile version of Linux when a good Android-powered device (like S4,Nexus 7… and maybe Phonebloks ) can run a desktop version of Ubuntu?In my opinion , Android is the best option for Phonebloks.] Ubuntu Touch will do the same thing, and will probably have better performance since it will be more integrated with the OS. Definitely a fan of convergence, and would love for my PhoneBloks phone to be able to do that.

08/12/2013 at 02:59

Keep it on the android platform.The app market is very strong.If partnered with Google they can keep the OS up to date.But, whatever you do, keep Microsoft away from it.

08/12/2013 at 03:03

Another Idea!Have one Block house the operating system.Than the customer can choose what they want.If they want Ubuntu, plug in the Ubuntu block, and if they want Android plug in the Android block.I see that may be the premise of raspberry pie, but if i’m tired of Android could I switch to Ubuntu and still keep my important data on the phone?

08/12/2013 at 03:08

Yeah I think the consensus is that’s the best idea. Presumably it would still be *possible* to install something else, but usually not necessary.

08/12/2013 at 03:13

The OS should be Android.

08/12/2013 at 06:08

Well, the deployment of the Android OS is like the same thing how Phonebloks wants to be the Phone of the world. Android OS source is released to the public, including phone manufacturers, then manufacturers can customize and make their version of that Android OS. Although I’m not sure what kind of agreements they do. We have a group of hobbyists that do custom ROMs (Android ROM), where they do customization for their convenience. Phonebloks, I think, can have a group of developers where there will be developing their version of that Android OS, but still following the official Android OS.

08/12/2013 at 10:05

Andoid is the best solution for the OS

08/12/2013 at 10:42

I am not very experienced with android and would prefer their to be other options. The main point of the phone is personalisation so it shouldn’t be forced on one platform.

08/12/2013 at 10:58

Android is best OS because we can change the everything we like its no restriction for updates and hardware support

new
08/12/2013 at 11:17

I think users should be able to install any operating system they want from the SD card. That shouldn’t be like android recovery, because it only allows to install android-based OS, but I think it would be good if it supported bootable SD cards (or USB keys), so you can basically install anything. That bootable card/key can contain android recovery, too!ela1103, I disagree with you, every single android ROM only works on specific device, and A LOT of modifications need to be made for it to work on another device, whereas Windows works on every x86/64-based PC (as well as phone). The only problem I see here is designing the phone app (to call smb) for all of the platforms. Also, the components need drivers for different systems. But that shouldn’t be a big deal… for example, I have a x64 tablet, and when you install windows 8 (while disconnected from the internet), the touch screen works perfectly without the need of any drivers. so do most of the components (except HDMI out and network card)

08/12/2013 at 11:47

i would like to say that the base module should inherently have a software, something more like the bios in a computer, i.e. a precursor to the main os. true flexibility of the phone will be with the os being changeable. People will very soon graduate from the idea of changing hardware, most people will reach their desired configuration within a small time and these days the hardware IS taking some time to reach the shelves. Thus the option of being able to change the interface will provide a good change for the user.Each os chip would be the first chip to be connected to the board. The os chip would simultaneously accept and register the other modules installed one by one. This would be lucrative for the os makers too. Each would have their signature modules, eg nokia with the 41mp camera or the same from carl zeiss. This way the present operating systems will not be thrown out of the scene. Acceptance from companies and the subsequent adaptation will be quicker.Peace out 🙂

08/12/2013 at 13:47

krkfire wrote: Another Idea!Have one Block house the operating system.Than the customer can choose what they want.If they want Ubuntu, plug in the Ubuntu block, and if they want Android plug in the Android block.I see that may be the premise of raspberry pie, but if i’m tired of Android could I switch to Ubuntu and still keep my important data on the phone? I like your idea. What if you could do that with anything, for example if you want to make a car running Android but the buyer wants to use another OS you could switch it.

08/12/2013 at 13:54

The last thing i want from a phone that is made for the customer is being forced to use something. I am kind of repeating myself but it should not be restricted

Viewing 30 replies - 1 through 30 (of 303 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪