We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Let’s start a talk about the OS

This topic contains 303 replies, has 125 voices, and was last updated by  TechMarq 5 years ago.

Majeh majeh

Let’s start a talk about the OS

01/12/2013 at 20:40

A revolutionary smartphone like Phonebloks needs an open operating system.Should Phonebloks get a brand-new OS or use Windows / Android?EDIT: Guys,i heard a lot of good suggestions on the operating system phonebloks should have,and i thank you for that.I believe that Phonebloks should have Android preinstalled,because Android is the biggest OS for mobile devices.Also,Android has a lot of cool functions(see here: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/android-surprising-uses,24047.html ).Damn,why would we need a mobile version of Linux when a good Android-powered device (like S4,Nexus 7… and maybe Phonebloks ) can run a desktop version of Ubuntu?In my opinion , Android is the best option for Phonebloks.

303 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved
08/12/2013 at 13:58

That’s why I think this Phoneblok will work and become a product,because the buyer will get to pick out everything on and in the phone.zXT0MXz wrote: The last thing i want from a phone that is made for the customer is being forced to use something. I am kind of repeating myself but it should not be restricted]

08/12/2013 at 14:16

we could do a sort of more open jailbreak for it, where anything made can be shared.

08/12/2013 at 14:25

We should also have a dual boot option

08/12/2013 at 14:34

i prefer the iphone ios and don’t want to use andriod, dont restrict this!

08/12/2013 at 15:20

zXT0MXz wrote: i prefer the iphone ios and don’t want to use andriod, dont restrict this! Apple will not allow IOS to be used on anything they do not own 100%. They keep everything they can secret and sue anyone who tries to copy any of their ideas.They were the ones who used their money to get lawyers to obtain a patent on the idea of a rectangle with rounded corners as opposed to square ones. They pay a lot of money to lobby the govt so that laws they want to break are abolished so it’s no longer illegal to do what they want, and to get lawmakers to create new laws to prevent them being prosecuted for the new crimes they want to commit.They will send police to your house to stop you if they can.They have $100bn in cash, mainly on deposit offshore to avoid paying US tax -that’s the aim of Apple, to get away with as much cash as possible, not to help anyone but the business owners. They won’t buy anything that would help the US grow it’s industries, they’ll pay the lowest in the most inhuman ways because it’s cheaper.They would produce dogfood is there was enough profit in it – they don’t care about quality, innovation, working conditions, sharing etc – none of the computing giants do – they’re not allowed to unless it makes money. Individuals working there are fine people who do care, but they don’t want to address these issues and just bury their heads in excellent work, trying to make a living – what else can they do? We know from the past that corporates commit crimes in pursuit of this money (and try to crush projects like phonebloks, sometimes by bribing insiders) so Apple will get prosecuted for some of it eventually – they all make slip-ups from time to time, but mainly they get away with it. This taints us all. They even groom young graduates to even more perversion, making it ‘normal’ to behave the way Apple does.So, let’s not use Apple products in Phonebloks, OK?

08/12/2013 at 16:39

android de por si por ser tambien un SO muy modificable, si el telefono (phonebloks) lo va a hacer ¿por que no tambien el sistema operativo?

08/12/2013 at 18:34

I meant something like apple ios, not that we have to use that specific one

08/12/2013 at 18:57

elaJingkunLiu wrote: Andoid is the best solution for the OS Andytzvi16 wrote: The OS should be Android. Why?

08/12/2013 at 19:02

zXT0MXz wrote: I meant something like apple ios, not that we have to use that specific one Sorry! As it’s open, it can boot anything.What do you mean ‘like IOS’?Do you meanlike the style of operation or ‘with a large number of users’or something else?

08/12/2013 at 19:04

for android and ios are both under Unix and Apple will never give its Operating System kernel. by against Android is open source and can be a system that runs on a Unix kernel as one wishes it will require creativity on the part of developers and programmers

08/12/2013 at 19:05

ANDROID is a GOOGLE company .phonebloks main partner is Motorola so Android OS is the first preference

08/12/2013 at 19:07

The style, with the pages of applications and the moveable background ect ect.

08/12/2013 at 19:08

Android is many customization

08/12/2013 at 19:11

we can customize Android As we want

08/12/2013 at 19:16

I have never used android, it never attracted me. But since its a new phone, there should be a new OS

08/12/2013 at 19:24

Why can’t we use software that already exists? The open source phone OS’s took thousands of hours over decades to create, so unless we want to wait for many years, let’s use something that already works and is popular, shall we?It’s a bit like saying, let’s use write a new browser, not use Chrome or Firefox or OperaIt might end up being better, but it slows the project down if we have to wait until the new stuff works well. As long as the phone is open source, the phone will attract new people to create new stuff but there’s no need for us to insist on it.There have been at least two previous attempts at an open source phone that have not gone mainstream, but at least they pave the way.What will make the phone a success?if enough people use it to make it sustainable and if it helps others make similar products. in other words, like most new products, if it isn’t popular it’ll die, so who cares then?

08/12/2013 at 19:45

I think, it will be cool to use the new Ubuntu OS. 1 Reason is because they are already a partner and I think they will do it really good. And lets make it big!

08/12/2013 at 20:39

Agreed

08/12/2013 at 21:45

A Android completely adapted to the block structure would take advantage the huge ecosystem of apps.

08/12/2013 at 22:31

What can be cool is you can already change the bloks of the phone, why can’t you change your os? Use the os you like the most? If you like android, you can have it, if you like windows phone, download it!! Or make a special “os blok” or chip. Like a chip (like a microsd)you can put in your mainboard.

09/12/2013 at 00:38

charmito wrote: Well, the deployment of the Android OS is like the same thing how Phonebloks wants to be the Phone of the world. Android OS source is released to the public, including phone manufacturers, then manufacturers can customize and make their version of that Android OS. Although I’m not sure what kind of agreements they do. The same can be said of Ubuntu. (Or Firefox OS, etc.) Android is one of the least-open “open-source” projects. See:http://www.eweek.com/blogs/first-read/is-android-really-open-source.htmlhttp://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2011/08/study-android-is-least-open-of-open-source-mobile-platforms/http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/108911-is-android-the-most-closed-open-source-projectzXT0MXz wrote: I am not very experienced with android and would prefer their to be other options. The main point of the phone is personalisation so it shouldn’t be forced on one platform. +1Nour wrote: for android and ios are both under Unix and Apple will never give its Operating System kernel. by against Android is open source and can be a system that runs on a Unix kernel as one wishes it will require creativity on the part of developers and programmers Not quite. Apple’s kernel is actually open-source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XNU. As mentioned, the main point is that Apple would never consider allowing iOS on a device they don’t have complete control of. See above about Android.

09/12/2013 at 01:29

It doesn’t matter which open source OS is used on the phone as long as it’s popular. All we need do is make the most popular one (Ubuntu) available on it and others will add whatever they wish, even custom ROMS. The version of Ubuntu and the selection of which parts to include, which to drop, which to create is a complex set of decisions.Companies often get it wrong and produce phones that are not very easy to use and against the open source spirit.They do it to try to make extra profits by locking the customers into their version of open source. They want to ‘brand’ open source.We haven’t yet established how decisions are to be taken here.If someone with strong views and not enough expertise (like me!) convinces those who can be bothered to read all this stuff, is that what will happen on the real phone?No, not really – there is no real phone.So, let’s move on, shall we, as we’re not making any decisions, just shooting the breeze?

09/12/2013 at 02:20

I think they will see and most of this would influence the outcome

09/12/2013 at 03:35

I think you should be able to get a blok for the operating system. They should have all the obvious ones and have an OS made by Phone Bloks.

09/12/2013 at 04:03

que se utilicen bloks para cada sistema ya sea android, apple o microsotf y un arranque dual tambien seria bueno (un arranque que lea el o los bloks de sistema operativo) // bloks for each system that you use either android, apple or Microsotf and would also be good dual boot (a boot that read bloks or operating system)

09/12/2013 at 06:37

I think PhoneBloks should have a new OS which can be changed to what you want it to do and look like so you can make the Phone what you want it to be as well as the OS.

09/12/2013 at 14:16

My suggestion would be to adopt WebOS. WebOS is developed by Palm and is completely open source. WebOS has a very active developers community, and the good thing (compared to Android) is that the development isn’t dominated by Google. And: it is imho one of the most mature and user friendly open source OS. (I use it every day on my Palm Pre, I fancy it much better than Android, iOS or Firefox OS)Wanna read more about WebOS? In a nutshell:- WebOS was the new OS for Palm to enable their rebirth in the smartphone market:- Even Steve Jobs was jealous about it (I think WebOS is the only competitive initiative that he publicly complimented as being very good)- In the process of Palm’s rebirth they got acquired by HP: But that turned out to be a kiss of death when an interim HP CEO killed it: – The succeeding CEO decided to turn WebOS Open Source- WebOS and the development eco-systemen seem to fit perfectly with the PhoneBloks philosophySome background reading: http://www.itbusiness.ca/news/could-blackberry-learn-from-webos-open-source-life-support-system/43989

09/12/2013 at 15:05

I agree that WebOS is a fine effort but are we in the OS business or the phone business?When comparing WebOS and Ubuntu, Ubuntu has so many more users that it’s the winner, isn’t it?As the phone is open source, anyone can port WebOS at any time, so I guess we’ll ask people to port what they want to the phone.Of those that step forward, how many will be for WebOS and how many for Ubuntu? In future, will the weight of effort behind Ubuntu beat the relatively tiny effort behind WebOS?I guess so.Some companies seem to suffer from arrogance (hubris) in thinking that the ideas they want everyone to follow are better than everyone else’s so they insist on ditching established grammar and doing weird things they claim are better, when everyone can see that they’re not, it’s just that they have market power and impose it.M$ are best at this – CTL+ALT+DEL, what does that mean, why is it even there and how are you going to do that on a touch screen? A three-finger salute?For people to use tech successfully they need to understand the ‘grammar’ of the interface – what the escape key does is the result of a massive agreement between us all, but if you don’t know that, it’s hard to guess what it should do – people press it as a form of layered ‘undo’.The escap key’s original purpose was to cover up faults in the early design of the computer interface, way before it was prised out of the deathly grip of the young techie who think they can produce stuff obvious to everyone. When you’re busy typing a letter and thus in mid info flow – what if you want to send a command to, say, tell the printer to start anew page at this point in your text?Send an ‘escape’ sequence and then, what follows is a command, not a bit of text. Epson called it ‘Escape P’ but the concept of an escape key came earlier and we were stuck with it until phones came along.It’ll gradually be forgotten.As will the Windows key. And the ALT GR key. And the SysRq key present on most keyboards.If some OS developer decides that the escape key should be an enter key, madness results. And they do.When ‘new’ grammars are developed (when accommodating multi-touch, for example) weird stuff often starts off happening and users eventually realise they’re being shafted by someone’s illogical ideas, rather than the simple way forward that recognises the cumulative effort that should drive progress. Progress is built on the consent of the users and that consent is vital.Let’s not get started on whether there ought to be such a thing as a phone OS in the first place – the argument as to whether to have ‘native’ apps is a difficult one when the power that can be applied behind a website will always be greater than a portable device possesses. When 3D animated rendering is possible in a real-time render farm, will you still want all the graphics rendered on a proprietary graphics chjip on the phone?What will happen when LTE broadband speeds are fast enough to stream uncompressed video?Willl you still want a proprietary rendering chip (I’m looking at you, Nvidia) to make things a bit faster? We’re in the grip of powerful OEMs who ‘own’ the electronics industry and try to cynically force us to use their totally unnecessary closed source products, using their market power to lock us in to ‘standards’ they own and control. On the one had you have interface designers, on the other graphics chip makers trying to force the pace so that graphics performance will always be advancing. Sounds fair enough until you realise that it obsolete phones – they become too slow. That’s not the fault of the OEM’s is it?Yes, it is, there is a another way but they don’t want it because it loses them a profit opportunity.It’s like the long-lasting light bulb.The light bulb industry, like all the other manufs, don’t want progress over profits so sold us short-lived bulbs at a big profit for decades before they couldn’t hold back the tide any longer. Why aren’t LED bulbs also light-sensitive wireless mesh networks in common use as wifi replacements?Because the tech is ‘young’ – could have been started before the internet but the light bulb industry didn’t want it. Could have changed the nature of internet provision if existing lighting circuits could have been used to distribute the signal…We have web standards already and the aim has always been to abstract the hardware away from the software so that those standards can be developed further. Tech standards are all de-facto (not real standards, just popularly taken up)so the key is, what is likely to be acceptable to the majority of people, not necessarily what is technically best.Look at the oft-quoted BetaMax versus VHS story, where the better tech lost to the better marketing, causing the manuf of the better tech to fail.So, it’s not enough to find the best tech, it needs to be the most likely to be adopted by the majority of users too.

09/12/2013 at 15:59

OS independent Block is all what we need and then the developers would be able to offer multiple choices depending on what the end user requirements.

09/12/2013 at 16:37

Agreed and it’s easy isn’t it?Fashions in boot loaders change – which ones should we support? EFI and/or Grub?

Viewing 30 replies - 31 through 60 (of 303 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.