We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Let’s start a talk about the OS

This topic contains 303 replies, has 125 voices, and was last updated by  TechMarq 5 years ago.

0
Majeh majeh

Let’s start a talk about the OS

01/12/2013 at 20:40

A revolutionary smartphone like Phonebloks needs an open operating system.Should Phonebloks get a brand-new OS or use Windows / Android?EDIT: Guys,i heard a lot of good suggestions on the operating system phonebloks should have,and i thank you for that.I believe that Phonebloks should have Android preinstalled,because Android is the biggest OS for mobile devices.Also,Android has a lot of cool functions(see here: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/android-surprising-uses,24047.html ).Damn,why would we need a mobile version of Linux when a good Android-powered device (like S4,Nexus 7… and maybe Phonebloks ) can run a desktop version of Ubuntu?In my opinion , Android is the best option for Phonebloks.

303 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved
likes
sort on most likes
17/12/2013 at 18:48
0

The idea is to make a free and lightweight software and its features vary by which all do the same !the idea is not heavy does not have virus problems and functionality not spoiled like some android devices or speed crashes and all processes have to do with network then it is more distrust cuention android and within virus is known to have to be protected if we manage more accounts or credit cards !would be something like Linux or iOS but slight and would have serious functionality whenever your upgrade and garbage applications that invdirian also our personal and private space.your system for a mobile device weighs and features would mimas a pc or laptop !Also would not that be something if not customized versions as stable and free.as we all look at the aesthetics but in performance do not understand !would seem best to create one or take one or the idea ( as if you can do it ) set it free without having patent …We do not need to fuck !

17/12/2013 at 19:59
0

Mozilla firefox OS could also be an option, it is a new OS for mobile devices that is growing up and will include more features each time.

17/12/2013 at 20:44
0

good idea but instead of only making PhoneBloks/Ara a one OS phone what about they make OS bloks and those who want their own OS, they could develop their own

17/12/2013 at 20:50
0

That is a great idea, why keep it only with one OS if you can have multiple options! nice!

18/12/2013 at 00:56
0

Agreed! The only speed bump would be getting companies to participate in this (Apple, Android, etc).Fret not about this speed bump, for there is always hope when there is imagination! *epic music*

18/12/2013 at 01:04
0

i think we should get more attention on our own rather than going straight to the bigger companies, get a free OS and leave developers involved to do what they want and when we start to actually produce a phone say “we are massively growing and would love for your help”

18/12/2013 at 01:19
0

i just looked at ubuntu and i have to say it looks good, also i think customizable icon skins on the actual OS would be great, like if you don’t like the e.g. snapchat icon you can change it to a camera icon.

18/12/2013 at 10:45
0

The fact is that android would probably be the best option but Microsoft earn money on this OS due tobrevet violation so it’s not truly free for the phone producer. Also ubuntu and things like linux are in my mind too complicated to touch a large audience. Howerver , since there is this firefox OS maybe it could be a good idea to test it ? ( sorry if my english is quite poor i’m french ^^’)

18/12/2013 at 13:58
0

Definitely android but it would probably need to be modified to work with the phone. This is after all a OS that has to support multiple cameras to produce a 3D image: not rely on having NFC, Bluetooth, Gyroscopes and all sorts of other modules installed at the same time: and maybe even support multiple screens doing different things at the same time.

new
18/12/2013 at 22:42
0

Why isn’t iOS mentioned in this? Android copied Apple (ask me if you want proof) Anyway believe that iOS, Android and Windows should all be available however getting Apple to license for it would be very low but it is still worth a shot.

18/12/2013 at 22:49
0

Maybe Linux would be step forward. They are working on their OS a long time and maybe it is also more compatibel with the phoneblock smartphones

18/12/2013 at 23:20
0

Berk wrote: Maybe Linux would be step forward. They are working on their OS a long time and maybe it is also more compatibel with the phoneblock smartphonesI really think the same, we could probably wait untill it releases or involve them in the project!

19/12/2013 at 21:00
0

Gold_Squid1 wrote: Why isn’t iOS mentioned in this? Android copied Apple (ask me if you want proof) Anyway believe that iOS, Android and Windows should all be available however getting Apple to license for it would be very low but it is still worth a shot. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

new
19/12/2013 at 22:33
0

justocm wrote: Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha 🙂

22/12/2013 at 11:22
0

CyanogenMod!!!!

22/12/2013 at 11:30
0

I think that you should have an ARM based phone, that can run a new OS, or Android, or even Windows RT, and you choose (order a storage blok preloaded with one of the ARM OS)

22/12/2013 at 17:25
0

About a new OS, well I really have doubts about the compatibility of apps and such. Even when we look at Windows Phones we don’t see a great variety of applications. I personally like how Google Play works and how it has a great amount of apps to choose from.But if things go well and if there’s a new OS on Phonebloks, the compatibility of the applications should be discussed. I personally support a new OS but I’m curious how the apps are going to work on it.

28/12/2013 at 03:36
0

Why only one OS?Ok it is more complicated to comunicate with the different Blocks but you can have wat you want.(a idea of phonebloks)

28/12/2013 at 21:29
0

I think the phones should run stock android, and you can download any launcher you want, off of the play store. They could have a special section just for phonebloks. Also, first of all, motorola is making the phone and they are owned by google, so more than likeley the phones will be runnig Android anyway. Second of all, Android is already open source, so why are we searching for another open source OS? Also, Android is a good operating system, with all of its cool features and I’m sure everyone would enjoy it, its already so popular anyways. Plus, if we had OS blocks that would decrease the space we could use for other feature bloks. And on the final note, if you could just plug in any OS blok you wanted, that would make it even more INCREDIBLY difficult to have every single blok work with every other blok ALL the time.

28/12/2013 at 22:55
0

Nonono. Flexible hardware but inflexible OS? REDICULOUS. You must be able to opt for the OS you want.

31/12/2013 at 14:16
0

The more variables introduced, the more problems to solve and the more expense suffered by the end user. By far, Apple is the most stable OS as one is unable (unless you jailbreak) to interfere with it. We have all suffered from Windows bugs, glitches and the dreaded “Blue Screen of Death” as it struggled to cope with the ever changing tech and software that was introduced to it. Unless Apple makes the same mistakes as Blackberry, it is highly unlikely that Apple would get into bed with someone else. I would favour a bespoke OS, rewritten as each block is made available. The OS locked away from any changes keeping it stable and giving the user confidence that the device will operate as it should.

31/12/2013 at 21:33
0

jbappie wrote: Nonono. Flexible hardware but inflexible OS? REDICULOUS. You must be able to opt for the OS you want. Android is anything but an inflexible OS. Look at all of the COMPLETELY different looking UIs that are actually Android. Some Android phones dont even have App drawers (and thats basically what defines Android xD sort of) But seriously, if it ran Android that would make it WAY more simple to have the phone actually work. You can still download any skin you want, like touchwiz, sense etc. from the play store. And there are literally hundreds of different android skins out there.

01/01/2014 at 00:35
0

DJHamilton wrote: Android is anything but an inflexible OS. Look at all of the COMPLETELY different looking UIs that are actually Android. Some Android phones dont even have App drawers (and thats basically what defines Android xD sort of) But seriously, if it ran Android that would make it WAY more simple to have the phone actually work. You can still download any skin you want, like touchwiz, sense etc. from the play store. And there are literally hundreds of different android skins out there.

01/01/2014 at 00:41
0

BS. I hate android in all it’s forms, it’s a crime of an OS. I want to choose windows phone 8x as my OS if I would consider buying phone like.

01/01/2014 at 01:28
0

jbappie wrote: BS. I hate android in all it’s forms, it’s a crime of an OS. I want to choose windows phone 8x as my OS if I would consider buying phone like. Whats BS? That there are multiple vastly different looking and operating versions of Android out there? By the way, how is it a crime of an OS. Dude, I love windows, but its not even open source -.- Also, it is COMPLETELY inflexible, unlike Android. Why would you want these phones to run it? That goes against everything this project is for.

02/01/2014 at 22:52
0

I think that BJHamilton and jbappie are missing the point. This is not a thread for a voting springboard as to which OS is the best. That is a matter of opinion and personal preference not a fact, much the same as does one like Marmite. For more years than I care to remember I used Windows OS on my PC’s. I suffered the constant crashes, updates and fixes, more crashes, more fixes until a complete reinstall of OS and software would be the only fix. Then the process would start all over again. I finally decided to let the bank balance take the rather large hit and I purchased a Mac. Over the past 4 years it has never crashed, I have not had to reinstall the OS and any software introduced has caused not a jot of bother. This is because the OS was written specifically for the hardware that is the Mac. It does not have to contend with the so many flavours of hardware. Software is not written to the OS so the OS never changes keeping the PC stable. It makes sense to have a bespoke OS. At the end of the day, it matters not what the OS is called so long as it does what it is supposed to. As for being open source, well what difference does it make if it is open source or not unless you are a programmer and a very good one at that. I am guessing that you are thinking of the freebie software that you can introduce to the OS even though this can causes potential problems and introduce viruses etc not only to your unit but to those who are in your contacts. For my money, I want my phone to do what it is supposed to do, every time I want to do it. If the OS is called Blockdows, Blockdroid or hopefully simply Block OS, so long as it works thats all that matters.

02/01/2014 at 23:43
0

derrummer wrote: I think that BJHamilton and jbappie are missing the point. This is not a thread for a voting springboard as to which OS is the best. That is a matter of opinion and personal preference not a fact, much the same as does one like Marmite. For more years than I care to remember I used Windows OS on my PC’s. I suffered the constant crashes, updates and fixes, more crashes, more fixes until a complete reinstall of OS and software would be the only fix. Then the process would start all over again. I finally decided to let the bank balance take the rather large hit and I purchased a Mac. Over the past 4 years it has never crashed, I have not had to reinstall the OS and any software introduced has caused not a jot of bother. This is because the OS was written specifically for the hardware that is the Mac. It does not have to contend with the so many flavours of hardware. Software is not written to the OS so the OS never changes keeping the PC stable. It makes sense to have a bespoke OS. At the end of the day, it matters not what the OS is called so long as it does what it is supposed to. As for being open source, well what difference does it make if it is open source or not unless you are a programmer and a very good one at that. I am guessing that you are thinking of the freebie software that you can introduce to the OS even though this can causes potential problems and introduce viruses etc not only to your unit but to those who are in your contacts. For my money, I want my phone to do what it is supposed to do, every time I want to do it. If the OS is called Blockdows, Blockdroid or hopefully simply Block OS, so long as it works thats all that matters. My name is DJHamilton, the B and D arent even that close on the keyboard :'( Lol, just kidding. But I see what you’re saying. It’s exactly what I was saying. We need one OS, for the phone. It would just be way more stable. Open Source is good, because it is what we are looking for, and it was one of the requirments,no, it is the spirit of this project. Both Dave and Motorola and Google wanted it to be open source. All Im doing is suggestingthat the phone should run Android, it would be the best. First of all, it’s the most popular decision out of all of them (trying to get windows or ios, running a new Os, firefox os, ubuntu, creating a new one etc.) so it would satisfy the most people if the phone ran it. Also, its already open source, so why are we searching for a different open source OS when android is so customizable, and open source, AND its already so popular. I was also saying that it would be kind of ridiculous to create a whole new OS, when it could just be a giant flop, and/or it would slow down the creation of these phones and it is unlikely that these phones wont run Android anyways, as Google owns Motorola, who is creating this phone. Also, on a side note, I think you were using Windows wrong because I havent had any of those problems with my computer that werent straight up hardware failures. I’ve had Windows literally all my life.

05/01/2014 at 15:55
0

As it is intended for the phone to be a highly customiseable mobile device, I think it is normal for the customerto be allowed to pick the operating system along with the flash memory. If it is possible all of the operating systems that are avaliable and compatible with the hardware provided should be on the list.

06/01/2014 at 02:33
0

Have you ever heard of the Frog UI ? It´s a nice Android based OS and it´s easy to use, so in my opinion Phoneblok can use a similar but new OS, which is easy to use and based on Android, because Android is the most individual OS in the Market with hundred thousands of Apps. WellMotorola is a Google Company, so it can´t be any other OS, maybe a new one. PhoneBlok can replace the NEXUS phones!

06/01/2014 at 12:12
0

Why shouldn’t we choose our own OS while buying phonebloks?I mean we have a chance to choose our hardware. The same way consumers can go for their favorite OS. But for this other companies have to join hands with us.Thank you.

Viewing 30 replies - 91 through 120 (of 303 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪