We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Let’s start a talk about the OS

Majeh majeh

Let’s start a talk about the OS

01/12/2013 at 20:40

A revolutionary smartphone like Phonebloks needs an open operating system.Should Phonebloks get a brand-new OS or use Windows / Android?EDIT: Guys,i heard a lot of good suggestions on the operating system phonebloks should have,and i thank you for that.I believe that Phonebloks should have Android preinstalled,because Android is the biggest OS for mobile devices.Also,Android has a lot of cool functions(see here: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/android-surprising-uses,24047.html ).Damn,why would we need a mobile version of Linux when a good Android-powered device (like S4,Nexus 7… and maybe Phonebloks ) can run a desktop version of Ubuntu?In my opinion , Android is the best option for Phonebloks.

303 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved
0 likes
sort on date
25/01/2014 at 11:01

Lars_vS wrote: True. This is why we need our own OS. Personally, I’ve got no problem with whoever wants to develop a new OS – although it’s a big job – it’s always good to see new ideas brought to the table. When you consider the plethora of OSs springing up though,and yet more if you’re including Android skins, you have to ask whether a new OS would be entirely necessary – especially when people already have their favourites. Except of course if you’re wanting an iOS or Microsoft behave-alike – where there might be some copyright issues…

25/01/2014 at 07:44

release a OS dev kit. Then you can choose what you would like too do to make the phone work

25/01/2014 at 02:38

3arn0wl wrote: Sorry to be pessimistic, but I doubt we’ll be able to. Nor Micro$oft. Apple has always marketed a complete product: they only let M$Office in when they were very close to folding. True. This is why we need our own OS. But maybe, in the future, Apple might make an OS for PhoneBlocks. When this works, the Apple iPhone will heavily decrease in popularity, so Apple may consider making iOS available for PhoneBlocks. It’s not something that Apple will do right now, but if their income is decreasing too much they will start focusing on PhoneBlocks.

24/01/2014 at 21:55

Bacon-Ninja52 wrote: But how will we get IOS to join? Sorry to be pessimistic, but I doubt we’ll be able to. Nor Micro$oft. Apple has always marketed a complete product: they only let M$Office in when they were very close to folding.

24/01/2014 at 21:48

But how will we get IOS to join?

23/01/2014 at 16:14

Sanjay wrote: Since the main idea is customization and so the choice of OS is yours :)Who knows , the OS can also be available as a blok :D#sAN Exacly. We just need to make as many OS options available as we can that will get attention and variety.

23/01/2014 at 14:26

Since the main idea is customization and so the choice of OS is yours :)Who knows , the OS can also be available as a blok :D#sAN

gab
23/01/2014 at 13:48

Lars_vS wrote: True, it’s cheaper to make an app for these OSs. But I was talking about how easy it is to operate iOS, anybody with fingers can do it (and if you don’t have any fingers, you can use SIRI 🙂 ) Hah true, but there should be variety? You should be able to swap out/change OS’s hopefully. So no just iOS or android, win8, linux. Right?

23/01/2014 at 11:10

The joy of this modular concept is that it’s pick-and-mix, Majeh: some will want different things to others.No doubt there will be limitations to that,but I would think since Android and Linux (proper) are Open Source Operating Systems, both might be made available. 🙂

tmp
23/01/2014 at 08:23

What I would love this phone to be based off of would be Debian GNU/Linux.Why?- It’s a stable operating system- Large community base- Developed by a community versus a corporate entity- Supports a robust package management system out of the box (i.e. apt)

22/01/2014 at 03:33

Gab wrote: No i think the standard android, linux mobile, and win 8 mobile will be a little better seeing that more apps and etc are there for those OS’s. True, it’s cheaper to make an app for these OSs. But I was talking about how easy it is to operate iOS, anybody with fingers can do it (and if you don’t have any fingers, you can use SIRI 🙂 )

gab
21/01/2014 at 12:56

8Alex wrote: I would prefer that there should be blocks or parts that either have android, windows, or IOS operating systems. So it would be easy for the customer to decide which operating system he/she wants to have. Like if you want a gaming phone, you would either go for android or IOS. If it was one operating system that would limit the number of customers buying this phone. I agree it should be like that.

gab
21/01/2014 at 12:53

Lars_vS wrote: Please, don’t get mad, but I like iOS (on Apple iPhones) the best. it is easy, leads back to one screen where ALL apps are on and everybody can use it (http://news.techeye.net/internet/more-children-can-use-a-smartphone-than-tie-their-shoelaces). I think that an operating system like this needs to be developed for phoneblocks as well. No i think the standard android, linux mobile, and win 8 mobile will be a little better seeing that more apps and etc are there for those OS’s.

gab
21/01/2014 at 12:51

joker_7 wrote: Yea of course.. it would be Perfect!This is the best thing that would happen to a developer :-PBut there’s some important questions..Let’s say that I will choose Android.. can I switch between Operating Systems when I want if I need to?And if I can.. did I have to buy them to switch between them.. or the idea is that they will be available on Internet!? Hmm good question i think maybe buy a different OS block>? Lol idk. But i think that wouldbe practical and so will getting them online.

21/01/2014 at 00:22

Considering that every OS has a different file structure, would it not be more sufficient if the different operating systems were integrated on the same block as the device storage block? Like preloaded on the storage block, then of course all of your information like your contacts and music and whatnot could be save on micro sd cards, read by a small single bock. Apps and things of that sort can be saved on the device storage with the os, that way there aren’t any faults when you try to load it on another OS, and it won’t deplete storage on the micro sd card.This was my thought. I apologize if I’m a little late on this, just getting in the groove of things here.

20/01/2014 at 10:28

Decisions about the OS choice(s) are not only going to be highly contentious, but as Lars suggests, will have some implications on the hardware too. As has already been rehearsed many times, some OSs are prorietary software, and are unlikely to be made available (legally), which might put some potential customers off.Personally I’d like to see as much choice of OS as possible – possibly by placing them on a microSD card.

20/01/2014 at 06:39

Yes but android has limits because it is a part of linux but wen you yous the linux verion you wil be out of limmits and it acsepts the moost parts

20/01/2014 at 04:51

I thought that the whole idea behind PhoneBlocks was that we would create a phone that is not depending on one company? Using android will definitely do that. Also, android phones are not the easiest to use. And if Android will be used as an OS, we will limit the phone to 4 buttons, a size screen, no flip-out QWERTY keyboard, etc. Creating a different OS will not limit you at all, or barely, to what hardware you put on your phone.

20/01/2014 at 01:03

Also michael69, I like and agree with the idea of the OS being downloaded rather than getting it on a part or block.

20/01/2014 at 01:00

On twitter I asked one of the developers which OS will be in and the developer responded with saying that they are going for blocks or parts will each have different OS.

19/01/2014 at 22:33

Someone’s going to be along any moment to point out that Android actually is part of the Linux community.I know what you mean though.My next touch-screen mobile device will be running full Linux.

19/01/2014 at 22:18

yes but i prefer linux it is stable open source os en better then android

new
19/01/2014 at 21:06

michael69 wrote: I prefer Android because its an open source and you can do whatever you want and create whatever you think of.sirhanet its the best idea to put them all but i think it shouldn’t be blocks or parts because if you want to use more than one so you have to buy them all or order them and they will take time and space on the back.but if it’s just a software that you can download or buy it online it will be more easier. Were still not sure wich OS will be on Phonebloks, i only know that Andorid is most voted at the moment! And thanks for your inputTeam PhonebloksNikola

19/01/2014 at 21:04

I prefer Android because its an open source and you can do whatever you want and create whatever you think of.sirhanet its the best idea to put them all but i think it shouldn’t be blocks or parts because if you want to use more than one so you have to buy them all or order them and they will take time and space on the back.but if it’s just a software that you can download or buy it online it will be more easier.

19/01/2014 at 20:59

I would prefer that there should be blocks or parts that either have android, windows, or IOS operating systems. So it would be easy for the customer to decide which operating system he/she wants to have. Like if you want a gaming phone, you would either go for android or IOS. If it was one operating system that would limit the number of customers buying this phone.

19/01/2014 at 19:54

why do you prefer android

19/01/2014 at 18:44

yes but why

19/01/2014 at 18:40

that’s a good idea and i think its the better one if we all can choose between all the operating systems if they will be available. But if we have to choose i prefer Android

19/01/2014 at 18:18

you can get the os from the cloud

19/01/2014 at 17:35

gregoryvanhout wrote: yes or a cloud with preprogrammed os on and they just can choose what they want Do you mean that the phone runs on an OS in the cloud, or that you can get the OS from the cloud? because if your OS is on the cloud, you need 24/7 internet connection and this may fail every once in a while, which will cause that you can’t even make a phone call. Getting your OS from the cloud and then putting it on your phone sounds like a good idea, and will most likely happen.

Viewing 30 replies - 91 through 120 (of 303 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪