We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

List of needed materials for interior of workspace

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Stan 3 months ago.

Petra Reynolds petrareynoldslmusd

List of needed materials for interior of workspace

24/04/2019 at 20:58

Does anyone have a list of the needed products for the interior items on the video- such as the sorting station, shelving, etc.

On the blueprints, it says things like Part Number: tube 30x30x2mm 990

Is the 990 cm of length needed? I’m trying to build a workspace for a high school project, but am the idea and grant writer, not the craftsman, so I need some help understanding what I need to gather.

Thanks!!

5 replies
1 subscribers
0 saved
warrior
28/04/2019 at 21:36

@petrareynoldslmusd That sounds like a great program. As @pporg suggested, the prices in the bazar are probably more realistic. You can probably use some of the lower completed unit prices as a first estimate of the component costs. I don’t think they have a huge amount of labor profit in them. You may also need some additional safety items or higher pedigree components. The injection (as well as the press) process can take some time and it may be worth pricing in a second unit so the kids aren’t standing around. For the injection unit, you might consider the arbor press driven design that @pporg presented here https://davehakkens.nl/community/forums/topic/arbor-press-v14/ . I think it has many advantages and will give the students a good opportunity to compare the effectiveness of different designs.
One thing that the PP videos gloss over is the fume management issue. For your application I would assume that the hot machines should be treated like a chemistry lab with some version of a fume hood and ducting.
In writing your grant proposal, last year’s announcement by China that they will be restricting the import of recyclables should give you additional justification for addressing the problem. Some .gov resources here https://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/markets/nationalsword that you can draw on.
Good luck and thank you for taking this on.

new
28/04/2019 at 16:36

@petrareynoldslmusd, it’s raining so heavy in the Netherlands, that apparently shredder blades and couplings fall from the sky there 🙂 No, it’s not 200$ for a shredder; its around 2000 Euro, and it will be still so la la. 200 may work if have a fully equipped workshop, good connections who sponsor you a fitting VFD or couplings, driveshaft, new fuse / good cables, etc… all for free well and an exorbitant skill set to turn scrap into something good and durable .. Please check the bazar first for real prices. Especially in your case, you want good quality and safety measures as well mostly new components with warranty. We started a guide on the shredder here. Good luck. g

new
28/04/2019 at 16:20

Thank you for your advice!! Yes, @s2019 Our plan is to have high school students at a technical school build the machines and everything in the workspace as part of learning manufacturing and welding skills through an engineering and makerspace curriculum. Luckily, we have a local manufacturing company who is on board to mentor and help students learn to build the machines. My big task currently is finishing a budget in order to hopefully win a $50,000 grant for the project. The next phase of the project will be for the high school students to collaborate with elementary students at our IB school to design products to make from the plastic to be used in classes. I’m thinking clipboards, pencil holders, rock wall grips, but I’m excited to see what the kids come up with. The environmental science class will be researching plastic pollution and it’s affect on the oceans. They will present to the elementary students. It will be a wonderful project if we can get the funds!! If you have any advice, please lay it on me. One thing that I would really appreciate would be an approximate cost of the materials for each machine in your experience. According to the PP bill of materials, the shredder should only cost $200, which can’t be right. Thank you!!

warrior
24/04/2019 at 23:42

@petrareynoldslmusd the interior products for the workspace in the video are an example that fit that container. If you are setting up a workspace in something other than a shipping container, there are commercial shelving, racks, brackets, and benches that you can buy without welding from scratch (unless a welding class is part of the project). Someplace like Home Depot or an industrial supply place can provide most of what you need without the need to fabricate. If you do decide to fabricate the furniture, you’ll want the inch equivalents. Someone from your facilities department should be able to come up with an equivalent total number of feet of 1 1/4 inch square tubing for example. But I really do think you should be able to buy everything in a bolt together form.

Your profile says that your goal is to have the H.S. students build the machines. Some of the machines require some craftsmanship and safety awareness. Hopefully some of the builders here can give you some lessons learned. Perhaps buying some of the machine sub-assemblies and having the students work with those may be an easier path.

It is great to hear the school districts willing to get the students involved with the hardware.
Good luck and please ask lots of questions.

new
24/04/2019 at 22:30

990 is for sure not cm from what i see, but mm seems legit 🙂 i don’t know why they took off so little from a full meter, also for the other parts, eg: 495 mm. i think there is no problem with this build by using 1m and 50 cm just.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.