Support our newest Precious Plastic campaign ๐ŸŒ

[community] Improve this community

This topic contains 32 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Dave Hakkens 1 year ago.

Dave Hakkens davehakkens

[community] Improve this community

14/09/2015 at 12:12

We love this place here, but there are always things that could be done better. One of the main reasons we build this community in WordPress is because a lot of people are familiar with it. So we are looking for a WordPress developers that are interested in helping to upgrade and improve this community! We have basic understanding of it and took us a lot of energy to start this community. We need help! People that can improve/build and this. We have a public Github here. And will always share everything openly and credits for those who helped us.

We gather feedback from the community, which you can leave here
We use this topic to share improvements we made. And below you can find the things that need to be done.

Added a few issues we need to have fixed for the website in Github. We will continue gathering more feedbackWe appreciate any help/tips!
This is the current list

1: Show username instead of profile name Thanks to @marcoher
2: Avatar redirects to member-profile not member-activity
3: Replace endless scroll in the forums by pages
4: Show a button to change avatar
5: Youtube embed in the forums 100% width Thanks to @marcoher
6: Add breadcrumbs to mobile
7: Removed nested replies and add pagination
8: Restyle the forum submission form
9 : Change te order of the reply pages/newest first.
10: Make it easier to mention a @username
11: Spelling check in the forum text field
12: Like buttons in ‘help build our projects thanks to @leonardlamprecht
13: Toggle replies in nested view thanks to @leonardlamprecht
14: Make the homepage bug free, javascript messes up occasionally.
15: Make it easier to change avatar

Reply if your interested and want to help.

17/10/2015 at 13:29

Hi Dave, I want to say that I love your projects and everything you do, you are an example to me! So when I saw your post I immediately felt the need to help you and take the change to be a part of the “Dave Hakkens community”. I am Marco, 17 years old, and I am a WordPresser for 2/3 years now, I don’t know if you already found somebody but if you didn’t, I am here!

Toggle replies
17/10/2015 at 15:39

Thanks Marco, we would absolutely love to have your help! The above list is what currently needs to be done. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with!

Toggle replies
22/10/2015 at 10:43

Youtube embed -> fixed!

Toggle replies
22/10/2015 at 13:52

Where do you want the change avatar button?

Toggle replies
22/10/2015 at 17:10

Good question. Couple of options, starting with the favorite.
1: A link in the blue sidebar that says “add your picture” once you’ve changed your avatar this button goes away.
2: If you click your own avatar in the profile page
3: A link in your profile menu

Toggle replies
10/11/2015 at 22:12

We’ve added breadcrumbs to mobile

Attachments:
Toggle replies
10/11/2015 at 22:14

Added pagination and changed to forums from one long thread to different pages. Turns it this is easier to understand and less confusing.

Attachments:
Toggle replies
10/11/2015 at 22:56

Styled the submission form. Made it more clear. Also, if anyone knows how to style the button below ‘attachments’ I would love to hear it. Can’t find the right css-class

Attachments:
Toggle replies
11/11/2015 at 08:43

The avatar is from gravatar, linked to your email, so you can change it there.

If you aren’t logged in, https://davehakkens.nl/community/login/ is nowhere to be found.

The recent change to pages or(?) departure from threaded conversations, broke whatever threading there was in existing threads.

Might be because editing gives your post a whole new thread id #.

When you reply now, it appears to be of the old functionality, only it adds your reply to the end, non-quoted.

1. and 2. looks to have been fixed.

Toggle replies
11/11/2015 at 09:28

If you arenโ€™t logged in, https://davehakkens.nl/community/login/ is nowhere to be found.

You mean its hard to find the login page? We use the key in the right corner for that. But I can imagine it’s a bit hidden.

The recent change to pages or(?) departure from threaded conversations, broke whatever threading there was in existing threads.

I know, big downside. And i really liked the nested comments as well. But this ended up having huge pages and very chaotic in long threads. Still looking for a proper way to use it though. (click to view comments, add pagination etc) But we haven’t got the coding skills available to make it, until that time we will get back to the ‘old fashioned’ way..

Edit: think you made a good point for the login. Added a notification bar below each topic/post which you only see when you are not logged in.

Attachments:
Toggle replies
14/11/2015 at 01:41

Hi,
I also missed the old comment structure because you can add comment to a post which is a bit older than the newest without confusing everybody what you talking about, but I understand your problem. I think a “show comments” button will be great (should be able with css or if not with javaScript).

An other point to make the theats more clear is making the text boxes more wide because there is about the same place one both side of it left. This would make the posts not so long. (I didn’t looked at the code jet so if this would make problems with smaler screens maby make it with a percentage?)

I don’t know how much work it will make but a spelling checking program in the submission form would be greate for me ๐Ÿ˜€

bikaro

PS: I’m not fimilar with WordPress jet but maby I can help in futur or with normal html or css code ๐Ÿ˜€

Toggle replies
18/11/2015 at 18:32

Hi!

A suggestion for this forum:
Is it possible to change the order of the reply pages? So that you show the newest items first and than go back in the past.
This seems more logical to me.

Bye!

Toggle replies
20/11/2015 at 00:03

This is a tryout to make it easier to mention an username. Use the ‘@’ in the forums and start typing a username, it automatically loads a list of users which makes it easier to select.

Disabled the feature for the time being. Had some complaints it was still to buggy. Will work on it!

Attachments:
Toggle replies
06/12/2015 at 22:20

Added a like button in the section ‘help build our projects’ In this way the community can source the best answer. For instance when making our new logo we can see which everyone likes the most. Next step is to make a ‘vote most likes’ filter. Special thanks @leonardlamprecht

Also added it to our points and badges system. Keeping track of our love giving members!

Attachments:
Toggle replies
06/12/2015 at 22:25

We love showing the forums as one long thread. But it became quite messy with all the replies. So @leonardlamprecht added a ‘toggle replies’ button which hides replies on default. Giving a better overview of the thread.

Attachments:
Toggle replies
19/12/2015 at 13:12

Hey ho,
maybe a private message function would be helpfull. or did i just oversee it?

And I think allowing toggle replies in the “Logo-Voting-Section” would be great. I have a new version of one logo which i would like to attach there.

All the best,
Stephan

Toggle replies
21/12/2015 at 11:07

We haven’t got private message. We kind of like having conversations public, however if more people want to have it we will look into implementing it! And we disabled the reply option there. New submission for the logo are closed. We are going to vote and fine-tune!

Toggle replies
07/02/2016 at 13:41

Added a few improvements this weekend.
– “Breadcrumbs” on desktop are more clean and less distracting now.
– Received some feedback about forums being to wide on large screens. So set max-width for the forums
– Have been working on a real time activity stream. Let us know if you have any feedback on this.
– And finally users that don’t upload their own avatar get a random monster. Looks more fun than the grey anonymous guy.

Attachments:
Toggle replies
05/03/2016 at 23:21

I like the cleanliness, but I noticed it’s a bit confusing if you get an email notification about a reply – when you click the link in the email, it takes you to the thread but the reply isn’t visible ๐Ÿ™ I’ll add bug on Github!

Toggle replies
06/03/2016 at 11:52

totally agree! Specially gets annoying in longer topics, or showing the latest activity on a thread would help a lot.

Toggle replies
27/03/2016 at 09:29

Hey
I m karan.
I must sugest that u must creat am applicatin for members for daily updates.
It will b more helpfull as every time opening browser takes a lot of time and opening an application takes very less time.
And also most of the people carry there smartphone with them rather carying an tablet or an laptop.
I hope thus reuest will b regarded a first priority.
Thank you.
I love this site very much.

Toggle replies
02/04/2016 at 13:29

Inside your “gd-bbpress-attachments.js” (can be found under Plugins-Editor) replace the content <input type=”file” size=”40″ name=”d4p_attachment[]”><br/>” in line 14
with
var form-label = ‘<input type=”file” class=”file-label” name=”file” id=”file-‘+files_counter+’><label for=”file-‘+files_counter+'” class=”label-button”><span>Upload File</span></label><br/>’;
jQuery(this).before(form-label);

and then add following code in the StyleSheet:

label.label-button {
background-color: #9fbcce;
color: #fff;
padding: 0.5rem 1rem;
border-radius: 3px;
font-size: 0.9rem;
line-height: 1rem;
cursor: pointer;
}

label.label-button:hover{
background-color:#7da4bd;
}

label.label-button:focus{
outline: 1px dotted #000;
outline: -webkit-focus-ring-color auto 5px;
}

// Not display:none; as it would not submit the file
.js input.file-label{
width: 0.1px;
height: 0.1px;
opacity: 0;
overflow: hidden;
position: absolute;
z-index: -1;
}
.no.js label.label-button{
display:none;
}

following js-Code from Osvaldas Valutis
//used for showing the name of the uploaded file
var inputs = document.querySelectorAll( ‘.file-label’ );
Array.prototype.forEach.call( inputs, function( input )
{
var label = input.nextElementSibling,
labelVal = label.innerHTML;

input.addEventListener( ‘change’, function( e )
{
var fileName = ”;
if( this.files && this.files.length > 1 )
fileName = ( this.getAttribute( ‘data-multiple-caption’ ) || ” ).replace( ‘{count}’, this.files.length );
else
fileName = e.target.value.split( ‘\\’ ).pop();

if( fileName )
label.querySelector( ‘span’ ).innerHTML = fileName;
else
label.innerHTML = labelVal;
});
});

Explanation:
The button you see is a browser generated element. It can not be styled. But clicking the label triggers the input button. So we display the label as button and hide the original button.
JS is optional butt adding a lot of user experience

Hope this helps and works (have no bbPress forum running)

Toggle replies
03/04/2016 at 17:22

Hi Thanks @philip. Could make it a pull request on Github? Makes it much easier for us to implement without making mistakes..

Toggle replies
05/04/2016 at 23:38

Hi Dave, my name is Joรฃo, and I would like to help you with your project, Precious Plastic. I’m currently unemployed, I’m a college dropout, but I have been working for the past 5 years, as a business developer, as a trainee in HR business, and other businesses. I would like to know if I can help, like managing FB and Twitter accounts, or anything else. Let me know. Kind regards, Joรฃo Inglรชs

Toggle replies
10/04/2016 at 18:15

Greetings,

I am willing to help with spelling checks and noticed some typos on the “plan page” for the precious plastics website.

Build should be “built”.

Attachments:
Toggle replies
18/04/2016 at 21:23

Hi,

Wgat do you think about make per country a Facebook group, so you can talk and ask in yr own language and meet all the seriously interested people together. I would like to set up the group for the Netherlands and Belgium people… if its allowed?

grts.
Carla

Toggle replies
26/04/2016 at 04:43

Hi @davehakkens and eveyone, apologies if I have missed any of this.

1.Is there a follow topic button? so you automatically receive update on a topic you’re interested in
2.Is there a way to pin a topic, for something that is agreed is of benefit to all.
3. Regards new posts/content, wondering for ease of viewing we could add maybe a button, once clicked, only new content is displayed no matter where it was posted in the forum and/or a icon lights up within a post or topic when new content is added.

Regards Hansie

Toggle replies
26/04/2016 at 18:45

Too bad its not possible to communicate with anyone personally, for a question or a message. I tried to ask if it was oke for a Dutch facebook group, I did but was gone the next day ๐Ÿ™ I don’t know what happend or who did, but fact is, still no communication with eachother.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1077304685665866/ this is the new fb group, pls join ๐Ÿ™‚

grts.
Carla

Toggle replies
29/04/2016 at 09:04

Hi @hansie

1: We had this before but it was still a bit buggy and requires some final edits. But should be doable!
2: Sounds like a great feature, would love to have it. Biggest problem for us is making it. Finfing a developer to help out.
3: Maybe this is helpful for you. It shows all latest activity!

Toggle replies
29/04/2016 at 13:13

Thanks @davehakkens, yes very helpful ๐Ÿ™‚ will make my job much easier in seeing what’s going on.

BTW I have worked out how to pin topics & a few other things, so it’s all good.

Regards WordPress I have had some experience using it via divi, could maybe have a look sometime.

Toggle replies
Viewing 30 replies - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.