We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

LOOPHOLES (shredder)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Lucas Hutchinson 2 years ago.

Samuel Lee leesam007

LOOPHOLES (shredder)

03/07/2017 at 08:39

Has anyone had any success without using the shredder and just using finely “cut up/diced” plastic pieces? I doubt I’ll be able to build all the machines, much less afford the parts so I’m looking for another way. If anyone has anything at all that might help, please post!

4 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved

In reply to: LOOPHOLES (shredder)

helper
11/07/2017 at 18:04

I’ve tried a hole punch but it’s super rough on your hands and it doesn’t yield much plastic. Taking some safety shears and cutting up plastic is quicker and less rough on the hands but will still make you sore

warrior
04/07/2017 at 18:35

@leesam007
Nice to see that you are experimenting with this. I started this way too, however my results weren’t good at all :/
Maybe there is someone living near to you who already built the shredder, who is willing to give/sell you plastic, if that is an option. 😀

new
03/07/2017 at 18:12

Thanks!
I think I’ll be able to work with square pieces for now and build my way up to an Extrusion or Compression machine.

warrior
03/07/2017 at 09:59

hey @leesam007,

Theoretically you can use a regular blender for shredding plastic. Then heat it up in an oven on a tray on a piece of baking paper and place the hot plastic into a wooden mould made of separate pieces, which can be quite rough. Again with baking paper lining so that plastic doesn’t stick to the mould. Close the mould and put some weight on top of it.

This is the simplest way to get square plastic pieces that could later be machined or used otherwise.

search youtube for HDPE plastic melting

Hope this was helpful

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.