We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Machine Development…….Injection

This topic contains 11 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Ramdhan 2 years ago.

Hansie enviro

Machine Development…….Injection

11/06/2016 at 06:33

Please use this Sub category for all posts & information regarding the Injection Machine Development. Thanks 🙂

11 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes
starter
14/06/2016 at 20:46

We’re working on the injection machine at the moment and should have it ready soon! We’ll post updates in our topic: https://davehakkens.nl/community/forums/topic/precious-plastic-mexico/#post-69928

starter
23/06/2016 at 12:27

I’m not sure if this is the place for my post. First off I think Dave and the team have done an amazing job with this precious plastic project!

Regarding the Injection Machine V2, I noticed in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdUkOjIP0Ok at 3.39 that the machine tips towards Dave as he injects, it seems to me that the base should come out as far as the end of the lever, anyone else think so?

starter
30/06/2016 at 05:58

Hi guys, I’m purchasing all the bits and pieces this week and I’m on the hunt for the right SSR but am new to all of this. I can’t find the exact 2-24V SSR but have found this one described below. I think it’s all good but would appreciate advice.

“Solid State Relay 3-32VDC Input, 240VAC 40A Switching”

“This panel mount solid state relay offers 3-32VDC input control, with a switched output rated at 240VAC/ 40Amps.”

starter
30/07/2016 at 11:32

Hey dresdenjack, may be a bit late now, but I bought this SSR with the PID unit and it seemed to work fine. We have had set backs, but that’s more due to my wiring capabilities than anything else I think!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131720388818?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

B.

helper
04/08/2016 at 17:29

hey @birdynamnam, did you manage to try the PID from your link already? how do they work? they look soo “Chinisey” and the price makes me worry that they might turn out to be a completely waste of money.
Dave’s TC Direct TD102 or similar cost 90 GBP, or 120 € if bought from an european reseller.
The price difference isn’t that conforting…especially when buying stuff from the Chinese.
Let us know.

also, has anyone bought and used the PIDs? any suggestions? on brand or things to look for?
the wiki has just a generic intro to the argument but not suggesting any manufacturer

starter
09/09/2016 at 18:53

Hey @lyricalpolymath,

Excuse the late reply. In the end I’ve had to buy four of those Chinese-made PID temp controllers in order to get two that work. The gain control seems all out of whack and reading the temp over the length of the tube (with an infra-red thermometer gun), it’s very irregular. I’ve finally got the machine up and running now (it’s been a busy summer!) and tried testing it again today.

The major problem I’ve now encountered is that the heat does not convect from the tube with the band heaters to the reducing bushes, so when you try to inject the molten plastic into a mould, there is a blockage. This doesn’t appear to happen in @davehakkens video, any thoughts appreciated!

Will post a pic in the other thread now too.

B.

warrior
11/09/2016 at 07:55

hi @birdynamnam, try to increase the temperature of the nozzle. That single element has much more mass to heat (barrel + nozzle) increasing the temperature could help to transfer the heat all the way around.

helper
04/01/2017 at 05:21

Anyone can help with injection machine wiring? When i put 2 PID circuit, the temperature going up more than i set. The heater seems to always on even the relay light is off

new
13/01/2017 at 03:29

Man, i just stumbled onto this project site and the timing was perfect. I’m picking up a CNC kit tomorrow (Shapeoko 3 XL) so that I can mill two part molds to do some prototype injection molding. I have a 3d printer that I use for the “rapid” prototype for fit/function, but ultimately the goal is to get to injection molding. Obviously, cost is a conern, so thats why Im going the DIY route to fully vet the design.

Anyhow, with the injection molding machine I’m wondering how large of a piece you can work with realistically. My design is “large” but has thin walls (355mm x 585mm). I calculated the internal volume of what the plastic piece is and its about 1.859E+05 cubic mm.

Would the injection molding machine be capable of filling that thin cavity?

warrior
13/01/2017 at 13:56

186cc is theoretically just about doable if you can pack the barrel solid right up to the bottom of the hopper. But don’t forget injection moulding takes some pressure, and that pressure spread over a large area mould with thin walls will spell disaster! It could take many tonnes of force to hold a mould of that cross-sectional area closed.

helper
13/01/2017 at 16:59

@rizla and dont forget, the cooling rate will be very fast for thin wall. melted plastic might turn solid.
on picture is my first attempt, the plan is vase with 2,5mm wall. result varying thickness from 2,5-5mm, the thin wall mold might deform due to heat+pressure.
you might want to use thick mold and put extra heater around it.

*my mold capacity is around 75gr HDPE.

Attachments:
Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪