We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Make a plastic phone cover using CNC milling

This topic contains 76 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  Reter 5 months ago.

Jerry de Vos jerzeek

Make a plastic phone cover using CNC milling

11/11/2017 at 21:32

Hi Guys,
I made an instuction video on how to make this, and in this thread i want to reply on questions that you guys might have!
😀

Why not design the injection point on the inside of the phone cover? – by @jegor-m
This is cause the inside has an insert to mold around, and in general you want to prevent injecting through inserts.

Where does the air go
Yes on big injection machines this is a problem, but here the tolerances are not so thight, one scratch and you will have plenty of ventilation…

What material did you use?
The mold is made out of Aluminum

How much did the mold cost?
We paid €400 for the mold, €50 for shipping

Software?
I used Solidworks mainly because i know the program very well and the iPhone can have difficult radii. you can easily use fusion360, thinkercat or any other (free) program, but im still learning those 😉

Where to find the mould files?
Mold files are in the download pack:https://github.com/hakkens/precious-plastic-kit/archive/master.zip
In this path:   5.create -> iPhone 7-8 mould -> STEP files 😃

Attachments:
76 replies
16 subscribers
5 saved
8 likes
sort on date
starter
28/07/2018 at 11:24

Hey everybody.

Me and my colleague are looking for a PreciousPlastic Coin with Polypropylen
for marking our Phone Covers. This is the last step which we just got to have before we can sell our phone covers 🙂 we have a decent storage right now of like several dozen forms and want to sell them on the bazar asap.

Attachments:
helper
23/01/2018 at 18:14

My milling progress according to @jerrzeek plans!

Attachments:
helper
08/04/2019 at 08:35

Hello evreybody!

I have make a few modifications to the mould!

Now the injection hole is at oposite side that means the case is clean and the injection sign is inside the case

Attachments:
helper
08/04/2019 at 09:29

Thank you very much @jerzeek

here is totally raw video  with that mould

https://we.tl/t-AxzlBpquHU

warrior
08/04/2019 at 08:45

@stampro01
WOW WOW WOW
!!These look absolutely gorgeous!!
How do you get the case of the mould?

Great work man!

starter
04/06/2018 at 16:22

Ok, somehow i cant upload the image :/

Attachments:
warrior
01/05/2018 at 12:55

@jerzeek

It’s not necessary to remake half of the mould, it’s possible to just remove the lip, drill holes for dowel pins to correctly align the two halves, and enlarge the clamping holes so they line up.

I’ve already suggested this fix to Manuel and he knows somebody who can do this for him.

helper
14/01/2018 at 22:45

Really really thank you that you are gave the solidwork files for free!
I am trying to mill the case mold with my cnc machine..

i would like to ask you @jerzeek?
why are they made the mold so huge??

*the price is cheap and the result looks totally professional!

starter
09/04/2019 at 07:15

WOOOOW,

they look great.
I see myself getting jealous, cause you dont have to stamp them 😀

also nice logo milled in the mould:)

hero
01/08/2018 at 17:09

@manuelmaeder I think the marking coins are out of stock in the bazar, but making them with a dremel or CNC should not be hard at all.
Another alternative is go the cheap route and make them this way: https://davehakkens.nl/community/forums/topic/hello-from-estonia/page/3/#post-131350

new
19/07/2018 at 13:54

@manuelmaeder, i am running here a little service, offering mold machining as well, for volunteer prices (because we want to support PP success stories!!). However, we don’t design molds but do the machining only. the mold above would cost you about 150 Euro (material = 30 euro, 120 labor). It’s also cheap because it’s done by my PP students (but under my supervision).

about CNCs: you can build a quite good one (good enough) for 2500 euro in materials and about 2 weeks of full-time work, less is not really possible… I am posting the documentation of mine sometime here in the forum. in the picture below you see it what you can get for this money. working area 45x45x25cm, cuts steal and aluminium with no problems, precision 0.01 mm; it’s my 5th iteration of doing DIY machines and I am really happy now (after ‘wasting’ 1.5 years and thousands of euros).
Just as reference, there is story here in PP about some guys who made a mold for a sun-glass, they paid 3500 Euro for it….simple to make the math.

also, you will never regret to have paid for a CNC, i use it everyday, for all sorts of things, mostly using the xbox-controller or manual gcode only 🙂 go for it !

starter
04/06/2018 at 16:23

ok, this is the image

helper
20/02/2018 at 01:10

Hello!
I manage to finish the phone case mold!
As you can see on the pictures below the result is not 100% professional like Jerzeek cases but for me to mill such a complex mould with 3axis cnc it was challenge!
Once more i would like to thank again @jerzeek who share the files for free!

Attachments:
warrior
15/01/2018 at 22:31

@stampro01

Cool man that you are trying to mill it!
yeah, about the size… i basicly had no clue when designing it, it could have been a whole lot smaller.
But, it does help to cool down the product quicker 😉

warrior
15/01/2018 at 22:28

@scottvandenberg
Easiest is to ask the questions here or in a direct message, if you want we can also meet sometime, but that would mean that you have to go to Delft 🙂

starter
14/01/2018 at 21:13

Dear Jerry,

I am a student and also a young entrepreneur. I am currently busy with a project where I want to design my own iPhone cases made of recycled plastic. While brainstorming about this idea I did some research and found your video. I am not very handy so I have no idea how to make a mold or anything that have to do with this. So, I have some questions about the producing process of this and I like to ask them to you.

I am from the Netherlands and I love to meet you if it is possible. I hope you could help my further with the problems that I now have.

Kind regards,
Scott van den Berg

warrior
29/11/2017 at 17:53

And don’t forget that the mould is made from several sizeable aluminium billets that probably cost 100 euro on their own.

It is possible to buy a cheap CNC router for 450 euro, but I doubt it would give acceptable results and even if it could it would take days or weeks to do it.

dedicated
29/11/2017 at 16:35

I think 450 euro sounds like a very reasonable, or even cheap, price. Of course you can purchase a cheap CNC but it’s less of a plug and play thing then it might seem. You need to invest quite some time and research to get super clean results with high precision.

hero
29/11/2017 at 02:44

Don’t want to sound like a know-it-all, but for €450 I think you could have purchased a cheap CNC and a +18.000rpm spindle and make the moulds yourself. Cheap CNC machines are not made for milling metal but if you make the GCODE to mill very slowly, it should work just fine 🙂

new
21/11/2017 at 21:34

is there a link to the digital files for this mold?
thanks!

edit: found it! (in the download kit of course)

helper
19/12/2018 at 02:02

Hello @csejal
according to my tests doesn’t matter the thickness of the mould at compression machine because all the mould reach high temperature..
only at injection machine you need specific thickness  cause the mould is cold

the thickness depent from:
-the size of the mould
-from the type of plastic
-the force of the injection

*maybe this question is not for this topic

warrior
18/12/2018 at 16:17

@csejal
Thanks for your interest, you are making a compression machine with band heaters?
The thickness was mostly through trial and error, thicker is always easier.

Greetz, Jerry

starter
14/12/2018 at 09:54

Hi,
Can anyone here tell me what calculations are to be done to decide the thickness of the mould for compression moulding. We are using cartridge heaters.

Thank you.

new
19/11/2018 at 18:43

what series of alumunium you use?

new
17/11/2018 at 06:23

I was wondering, what is the radius of the holes that you made for the screws?
Also what is the radius for the injections cutout in the mold that you pour the molten plastic into it?

warrior
22/05/2018 at 12:51

@manuelmaeder

They look like over-centre toggle clamps, like this.

They are quick but do stretch/give a little under pressure, so you might get more flash along the mould parting line.

starter
27/04/2018 at 05:15

@andyn I just payed 535 Euros with shipping for this mold, which doesnt work..
i could burst in tears. shit

@jerzeek thx for your fast reply.

warrior
26/04/2018 at 18:48

To illustrate the problem here are the cad files with the mould halves assembled:

Attachments:
warrior
26/04/2018 at 18:39

@manuelmaeder

Looking at the CAD files there does appear to be a discrepancy. The recess for the insert is exactly centered within the lip/groove, however the cavity of the phone itself is off centre by approx .75mm and the top and bottom halves are displaced by this amount in different directions, giving 1.5mm overall error which probably explains why it won’t fit together with the insert in place.

Out of interest how much did 3dHub charge to make the mould?

starter
26/04/2018 at 17:54

Hey @jerzeek,

me and my friend just started recycling station with a shredder and an injection machine. We ordered the mold for the iPhone 7-8 with the drawings from your download kid and also ordered it from 3dHub but we got this here.

The groove and lip fit perfectly but when we put the insert mold inside then it doesnt fit anymore as you can see on the picture. Id really love to get a fast answer because of the problem is with the drawing then we cant say to 3dHub that it was their fault. So could you just take a look if its in the middle of the aluminum box on the drawing.

thanks Manuel

Attachments:
Viewing 30 replies - 1 through 30 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪