We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Make Filament for 3D Printer

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Gordon Durnin 2 years ago.

Razmik kintrbr

Make Filament for 3D Printer

26/02/2017 at 10:28

Hi,

Has anyone tried to make Filament for 3D Printer with extrusion machine?

Is it possible?

6 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved
helper
26/02/2017 at 22:11

we are also going to try but still do not have the extrusion machine…

helper
17/03/2017 at 07:26

We are also working on the extruder in order to make filament so will keep u posted for development.

After lots of research the whole trick is on “pulling” the filament and cooling it properly and not just a chord coming from the extruder hole.

Additionally in more commercial scale they do dry the flakes beforehand in order to remove the humidity, leading to uniform and more trustworthy filament…

starter
19/03/2017 at 03:50

Nobody used the maschine to make filament already?
I had in mind this is the main use for it..

This would be a way to the make advertising for the project sell filament.. and tell all the way to do it themselfs..

starter
13/04/2017 at 19:40

Dave Hakkens did, but he hasn’t uploaded it on this site for some reason. He has it on his Youtube.
Dave Hakkens

starter
06/05/2017 at 05:59

But from what i see, keeping the extruded plastic at a constant diameter is hard. your plastic mix isnt uniform, it’s filled with different additives. Plus, depending on your extrusion and bundling system, the output wire may break if it’s too liquidy/hot. You can see that in one of Daves videos, it’s irregular. It’s hard to control.

new
17/05/2017 at 01:41

Wondering if the plastic consistency can be made uniform by making the inputs uniform. Soda bottles with Soda bottles, for example, not just the same type of plastic per the labels; maybe that combined with some thorough cleaning of the recycled material. The thing is Dave Hakkens shows a filament process (extruder and automatic roller) on the youtube video, but I would like to see that filament working in a 3D printer. If you watch the video that loads right after Dave’s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEkksADFjP8, it sounds like the making filament for 3D printers is an extraordinarily precise thing… it has to be perfectly round, and exactly the same precise diameter. I’m skeptical about these machines producing that result. Still, I’m really keen on the idea for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that making molds seems to me to be a much more daunting process for what I have in mind than a making a product via a 3D printer. Has anyone made this filament and actually tried it on a 3D printer?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪