We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Managing static

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Free Plastic 5 days ago.

Alan Stevens astevens

Managing static

26/11/2019 at 18:09

i’ve just finished building my
shredder and have completed some small shredding runs. The small plastic flakes generate lots of static electricity, making them stick to the machine and anything surrounding it. This makes it difficult to collect the flakes into a bucket and keep the workspace clean.

Does anyone have advice for managing or reducing the static generated while shredding?

3 replies
3 subscribers
0 saved

In reply to: Managing static

starter
20/01/2020 at 18:27

Were you able to find a solution to reduce or dissipate the static charge.  I am having a similar issue.

new
21/01/2020 at 23:17

Not really. I have since painted my shredder frame which has reduced the build-up some, but it takes quite a bit of brushing/ compressed air to get it clean between runs.

starter
29/06/2020 at 02:59

We had the exact same problem. We are using couplings to connect the axles from the gearbox to the shredder box, so I don’t think the shredder box was actually grounded. We solved it by running a wire from a bolt on the shredder box directly to the motor’s ground (grounding the shredder box).

Not only did it kill the static charge, but it also sped up the shredding process by removing the buildup on top of the blades and gave us larger sized mulch instead of a fine “snow”.

I hope this helps!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪