We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Melting Fishing Line

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Frederik Conradie 2 weeks ago.

The Beachcombers thebeachcombers

Melting Fishing Line

19/08/2019 at 14:44

Hi,
We recently joined the community (1 hour to be exact) and I am trying to find my way around the different fora.

Not sure if I should post this here, but in our Beachcombing we find lots of fishing lines, now we make puppets, sculptures and bracelets out of them. The thing is, there is so much of it I was wondering if fishing line can also be used (shredded, melted, extrude / moulded again?

Greetings from Henri

6 replies
2 subscribers
1 saved

In reply to: Melting Fishing Line

helper
23/08/2019 at 01:44

Hello
I’ve gotten some feedback from @pauldufour.
It seems they have mostly dealt with discarded nets and not fishing line. (Different fishing methods from around the World.)

helper
23/08/2019 at 01:50

Even in SA, it might be somewhat of a regional problem.

Where I am, the municipality employs beach cleaners to keep the beach in a condition that draws the tourists that local businesses rely on. So, we don’t get our hands on many samples of beach plastic.
In the busy season, I might find a discarded bottle here and there.
Fishing line will also be more common in places where more of the locals make a living from fishing.

helper
23/08/2019 at 01:53

I don’t recall ever finding fishing line on the beach. But I’m in one of the windiest parts of the peninsula, so it could be that it’s quickly buried by the wind. (Especially since it’s mostly a night-time activity, putting hours between the discarding and anyone finding the lines on the beach.)
If you really need help with this, I suggest you keep lots of samples on hand. Then you can hand it out to PP people at meetings, so that they have some samples to experiment with in their workspaces, later on.
On a larger scale, environmental NGOs should probably look at efforts to ban the local use of non-biodegradable fishing lines.
Cheers.
PS. Sorry for the staggered response. Not my fault. It’s a bug in the forum, that happens when you edit typos.

starter
23/08/2019 at 08:14

@fredrikc

thanks for the feedback; I know that municipal try to keep the beach clean, but the reality is that this isn’t sufficient. We are situated in Betty’s / Pringle Bay (or as I call it Pringle WAAI) and we have also a lot of wind here. But still we pick up lots of trash (plastic, fishing lines and cans) also some rope (from vessels I suppose) etc.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, we will be in touch!

Henri

Attachments:

helper
23/08/2019 at 23:30

Hi
I think the frequency of fishing boat (“skuite”) use in the area, is probably the key factor.
Strand only has two boat launches (only one of which is really functional) and no jetty. Most of our angling is done from the shore. Also, the high tide covers most of the beach.The ocean currents might also be prone to wash small floating debris away rather than deposit it.
With the notable exception of whale carcasses 🙂 Man, that was a spectacle.
Cheers
F.

helper
04/09/2019 at 18:01

Hello
I just happened to find this, for what it’s worth.
https://www.cbn.co.za/featured/fishing-line-bin-project-gets-new-pipe-sponsor/

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪