We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Mobile recycler

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Julian Mellor 5 days ago.

Christian wilderchris

Mobile recycler

17/10/2018 at 22:34

Has anyone thought of putting a shredding machine in the back of a vehicle? Would it work? Pros vs Cons? I was thinking of just a shredder and having the other machines at home or a shop. Making plastic collecting more widespread and educational. The “mobile shredder” would work well with going to schools and educating them. The plastic pellets could also be organized in the truck and emptied at home.

What are the communities thoughts? good idea or no?

Attachments:
7 replies
4 subscribers
0 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes

In reply to: Mobile recycler

starter
20/10/2018 at 20:08

I have been thinking along the same lines as we are wanting to take the operation to different neighborhoods and upper level schools. Surely someone is doing this?

starter
21/10/2018 at 09:09

Yes yes yes!
So my PP plans for my project, Remix Plastic is to build a mobile unit to take into communities and schools to educate on waste. Rather than just recycle and make cool stuff (which is fun in itself), I want to ignite behaviour change around single use plastic consumption. Check out my website for more info http://www.remixplastic.com and feel free to ask any questions you have about details 🙂

Anthea
[email protected]

Attachments:

starter
22/10/2018 at 09:57

The mibile unit would be a great way to speed up the process of creating the machines by corporating with a larger geographical area of pins, a muli community project.  Then it does the route created by  those contributing allowing more people in between to touch it feel it play with it. People can already be accumulating the plastic awaiting the mobile units arrival. I was thinking even like a timeshare system where the monitary value of creating all the machines is broken down into 30 days of the month so communities could fund raise and invest in x amount of days the mobile unit will come hang out in their town where a portion of the daily rate goes towards the creation of their own machine or set of machines. Something like that

starter
23/10/2018 at 10:54

Yea the reason why I went for mobile is because there is no other projects offering community focus/lead development for PP in my city. I am also working closely with the local Fab Lab and feel a mobile unit can act as a billboard for the potential for making locally 🙂
Love the idea of time share – that is similar to what I am looking at. We are looking to crowdfund skills and money in the local Time Bank communities – timeshare will be an option for the machines use (as the Time Banks are scattered over a large area).

starter
25/10/2018 at 22:48

I am working with several Rotary organizations both here in Mexico and in the United States. Consider approaching any you might have locally because they have a network of collaboration with others all over the globe for drawing on funding. ..and they are going green..recycling plastics with this model also represents micro financing/business which they are very supportive of…just some thoughts..Rotary is very powerful! and is non religious non political.

starter
26/10/2018 at 05:26

I had not heard of time bank but liked what I saw and can see how it would be helpful to involve their community. Non religious and non political caught my attention with the rotary suggestion too. Both great ideas. As soon as I get settled I am contacting the people and work spaces in my area that have expressed intrest on the map to begin correspondence and orginize locally. I just relocated unexpectedly to San Diego and there is lots of intrest, talent and resouces on both sides of the border. I am very intrested in small businesses an prominent items they use daily that we could make from previous plastic. They could invest in the mold and certain quantities of the precious plastic version in good faith that we would use the funds to create the machines, their items and be able to continue to meet their future needs as well. It also gives them braging rites of helping clean the local area they do buisness in.

new
13/11/2018 at 17:58

I have been having similar thoughts about precious plastic in a truck (or caravan). I’ve had experience of creating a mobile radio studio and a mobile office. And I’ve heard about a mobile bottling plant in a wine region of Austria. It’s a great way of reaching more people, sharing equipment and skills, sharing costs and spreading ‘the love’.

For plastics there are other advantages – book a date to be in a particular location and people store the plastic at home, not at your workshop. But I think to get them really engaged you’d need to have more than just the shredder – the magic is in turning pots into products, not just shredding waste.

The big challenge is, I think, the speed and capacity.  People might be interested enough to wait and watch for say 15-30 minutes, but how much can you process with a truck based solution in that time?

I would love to hear about some up and running examples.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.