We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Modified Paper Shredder

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Wes 3 years ago.

Taylor photolimo

Modified Paper Shredder

09/09/2016 at 19:11

Hey all, I am new to the Forum so please excuse me if this sounds off beat. Would love some feedback about a concept I have had for those looking to do some low cost experimenting.

Has anyone tried modifying a paper/credit card shredder for use in making stock material?

I am sure it will be easier to find a HD paper shredder than build the suggested machine on this project. Initial estimates I have received for just the laser cut 304SS pieces is around $600 (materials included). I am also having a difficult time sourcing the motor/gearbox here in Pheonix-AZ, USA.

Update 2016-09-12; Here is someone doing this with waste 3D printed material: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yZ9crsRyws

Attachments:
5 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes
new
12/09/2016 at 19:06

Another idea came upon this past weekend was the possibility of using a landscape shredder/chipper.

Attachments:
new
28/09/2016 at 17:50

Anybody?

warrior
30/09/2016 at 23:39

We tried several shredders, but they weren’t powerfull enough. At least not for the bigger plastics. Specially the flexible plastics are much tougher to shred. We never tried a wood chipper, I would imagine the plastic would get stuck in it as well. But, never tried. So if you do make sure to post a few pictures 🙂

new
27/04/2017 at 19:33

I just had the same idea of salvaging the cutters out of a paper shredder, and stumble across this post. Figured i could slap a washing machine motor on it and gear it down using some pulleys and see how it goes.

starter
01/05/2017 at 11:19

If you want to save a little money, get the parts made out of A36 steel instead of stainless. That would take quite a bit out of the cost.

For a gearbox, just look up anyone who sells belts, pulleys, bearings, etc. They’ll usually carry a line of gear reducers and motors.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪