We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

mods to make machines safer/ meet OHS

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Melodie Murphy 7 months ago.

Laura Strentz lstrentz

mods to make machines safer/ meet OHS

28/05/2018 at 10:09

Hello.
I talked with Ken Sulman of Tassie who modified the shredder (taller hopper, kill switch, etc) to make it safer. He  I’ve also chatted with Monash Uni.

I am new to the PP community so will be grateful to be pointed to a thread that addresses and ideally has the plans to build each machine modified with Occ Health Safety in mind.  We aspire to have a PP facility on our school campus.

Many thanks,
Laura

7 replies
5 subscribers
1 saved
2 likes
sort on most likes
starter
15/08/2018 at 10:21

Hi Laura,

We are building the shredder for commercial sale here in Darwin and the higher hopper and kill switch are very important, we are also adding some safety/warning signage.

starter
15/08/2018 at 10:24

I forgot to add, one of the hopper designs we are still considering for our next batch has a bend in it which means the blades can’t be reached from the top of the hopper.

The issue of the spinning axle is another safety concern we address with a simple cover.

dedicated
15/08/2018 at 11:18

@morethantencents You are building shredders, you sell them and you have no idea about safety regulations ???

starter
15/08/2018 at 11:41

@sonik that is not actually what I said…

I am very aware of OHS requirements in a workplace setting, as are the fabricators and engineer I have working on the shredders and this is why we have added the modifications I mentioned in my post and are looking at further modifications in future batches. (Also, all our machines are tested and electrically tagged by a licensed electrician before shipping.)

To inform these design changes we drew on the Australian Standard AS/NZS 4024.1201:2014: Safety of machinery – General principles for design – Risk assessment and risk reduction but this is not a system of compliance it is a guide.

I make no secret that we are a work in progress and I sincerely hope we never stop trying to improve both our design and our practices but it would be a little easier if there were some system of compliance (like an ISO standard) that we could map our machines against.

starter
15/08/2018 at 11:53

@sonik I have edited my previous comment to remove the confusion, I hope this now makes more sense to you 🙂

dedicated
15/08/2018 at 14:03

@morethantencents I prefer that 😉
Here in Europe you would need to validate your product by an independant and certified organisme. A licensed electrician would not be enough. And then, whenever you change the slightest detail, you would need to re-certify it again.

starter
15/08/2018 at 14:15

I would prefer that, then at least you have someone to verify what you are doing and maybe ask some questions.

I contacted Standards Australia when we first started this project and they just directed me to the above standard. The standard is great in a lot of ways for assessing and minimising risk and defining procedures and policies but it is not really what I was hoping for.

I have even spoken with consumer affairs who handle complaints when products fail (thinking maybe they must map products against something?) but no luck there either.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.